Thai Amnesty bill: Senate passage looks assured

webfact

NATION ANALYSIS
Senate passage looks assured

Somroutai Sapsomboon
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The amnesty bill will likely have a quick and easy passage through the Senate, as it appears a majority in the Upper House claim to favour the bill and would vote for it.

The main obstacle to the bill may now lie not in Parliament, but with the Constitutional Court.

Senate Speaker Nikom Wairatpanij said earlier that the bill, which passed the third reading in the Lower House last Friday, would be submitted to the Senate by Friday, or no later than next Monday.

Usually, the Senate spends only one day on the first reading and a maximum of two weeks scrutinising it in committee and on the second reading. Lawmakers will likely be able to pass the bill into law before the end of the current session of the Senate on November 28. The government could speed up the Senate process by manipulating the selection of like-minded senators into the committee to avoid dramatic changes to the bill. Without major amendments, the bill could be passed quickly from the committee to the second reading.

Of the 149 senators, less than 70 have expressed opposition to the amnesty bill. The majority in the Senate would vote to pass the bill unless there was strong opposition and chaos outside the Parliament due to ongoing protests led by the opposition Democrat Party.

But the amnesty bill, even if successful in the lower and upper houses, may not be passed into law since the Con-stitutional Court may be requested to rule whether its text and processes were constitutional. The bill, which was amended from the original draft, would grant amnesty to all concerned parties in political struggle since 2004. Protesters claim the bill would allow two former premiers - Thaksin Shinawatra and Abhisit Vejjajiva - to be freed from charges of manipulating political chaos and the bloody crackdown on the protests. The original draft of the bill granted amnesty only to people who expressed their political opinions and joined street rallies.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-04

Of the 149 senators, less than 70 have expressed opposition to the amnesty bill. The majority in the Senate would vote to pass the bill unless there was strong opposition and chaos outside the Parliament due to ongoing protests led by the opposition Democrat Party.

There ya go.... You know what to do good people of Thailand... Chaos!

But the amnesty bill, even if successful in the lower and upper houses, may not be passed into law since the Con-stitutional Court may be requested to rule whether its text and processes were constitutional.

Well it is unconstitutional, a blind soi dog can tell that.

The bill should never have got to the third reading because it was unconstitutional of the oversight committee (the vetting panel) to make substantive changes to the content of the original draft.

The panel should have been disbanded and a new (impartial) panel convened to debate the bill as it was originally drafted.

If this thing gets through to the finish, then we have final proof that the political and judicial systems of Thailand are defunct....!!

Edited by GeorgeO
  • Like 2

There ya go.... You know what to do good people of Thailand... Chaos!

But the amnesty bill, even if successful in the lower and upper houses, may not be passed into law since the Con-stitutional Court may be requested to rule whether its text and processes were constitutional.

Well it is unconstitutional, a blind soi dog can tell that.

The bill should never have got to the third reading because it was unconstitutional of the oversight committee (the vetting panel) to make substantive changes to the content of the original draft.

The panel should have been disbanded and a new (impartial) panel convened to debate the bill as it was originally drafted.

If this thing gets through to the finish, then we have final proof that the political and judicial systems of Thailand are defunct....!!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm sure that there will be a delivery of delicious pastry boxes to the Senate members over the coming days. Once their stomachs are full, they will surely vote for Thaksin.

And what do you think might well be in the pastry boxes?

Dark days ahead, but also interesting. PTP will push this through now, regardless of cost or consequences, their leader has spoken. The senate looks bought over now.

However, there are still a lot of red shirts angry at the bill. So maybe they won't be so keen to intimidate the Constitution Court judges this time on behalf of the paymaster.

I saw the BBC were picking this up on their news, although with some inaccuracies. Hopefully the international press will start to pick up the reality of what's going on with all this, rather than lapping up the PTP adjusted versions of history and the future. The US and UK both regularly condemn corruption and it will be interesting to see how they respond to a blanket whitewash for a criminal who they have allowed into their countries. Probably accept it as some bizarre vindication of their own hypocracies.

• Like 1

I am afraid this country is going downhill faster.

The people deserve what they get. They voted they don't think and worse still they don't care.

Sent from my RM-892_apac_laos_thailand_219 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Dark days ahead, but also interesting. PTP will push this through now, regardless of cost or consequences, their leader has spoken. The senate looks bought over now.

However, there are still a lot of red shirts angry at the bill. So maybe they won't be so keen to intimidate the Constitution Court judges this time on behalf of the paymaster.

I saw the BBC were picking this up on their news, although with some inaccuracies. Hopefully the international press will start to pick up the reality of what's going on with all this, rather than lapping up the PTP adjusted versions of history and the future. The US and UK both regularly condemn corruption and it will be interesting to see how they respond to a blanket whitewash for a criminal who they have allowed into their countries. Probably accept it as some bizarre vindication of their own hypocracies.

How was the BBC biased inaccurate in its reporting? Was it biased inaccurate like they were "biased" inaccurate in 2010 or really biased inaccurate in its reporting?

Edited by fab4
  • Like 1

I hope the majority against this get off their asses and take back their country.

However, I fear that the inherent lazy gene will prevent them.

There isn't 500 baht/person on the table this time.

Come on people of Thailand, now is the time to act thumbsup.gif

Unfortunately, it's not only the lazy gene involved here it's also the "I don't care / know / understand / give a rat's ar_se / doesn't effect me" gene.

• Like 2

The Amnesty Bill must be stopped. Not via the Democrat way of inviting everyone that is short of money to stand at his plate for 500 Baht a day and shout filth and profanity, but by it's rejection by the Senate or via a Senate request to Constitutional Court to rule it unconstitutional.

I really do believe it is time for Thailand to charge, try and convit all of its criminals regardless of their wealth of standing.

I hope the majority against this get off their asses and take back their country.

Come on people of Thailand, now is the time to act Posted Image

only we foreigners who love it here care. Everyone else in the millions can't five a rats!

The Amnesty Bill must be stopped. Not via the Democrat way of inviting everyone that is short of money to stand at his plate for 500 Baht a day and shout filth and profanity, but by it's rejection by the Senate or via a Senate request to Constitutional Court to rule it unconstitutional.

I really do believe it is time for Thailand to charge, try and convit all of its criminals regardless of their wealth of standing.

only an order from the king (poor man being so ill at this time) or an order from the military will save Thais now. Soon it will el presidente Thaksin and he will destroy anything good left here

I hope the majority against this get off their asses and take back their country.

Unfortunately, it's not only the lazy gene involved here it's also the "I don't care / know / understand / give a rat's ar_se / doesn't effect me" gene.

Really? Perhaps you did not personally witness both the PAD's successful attempt to have Taksin land back in Thailand? Or the outrage at the Taksin bought and paid for's violence in central Bangkok in 2010? You could very well have missed/not bothered, watching the huge and growing protest march, as shown in a video in today's BP?

I'm sure that there will be a delivery of delicious pastry boxes to the Senate members over the coming days. Once their stomachs are full, they will surely vote for Thaksin.

The usual content....Old story when Thaksin let pastry box delivered to the court....

Really? Perhaps you did not personally witness both the PAD's successful attempt to have Taksin land back in Thailand? Or the outrage at the Taksin bought and paid for's violence in central Bangkok in 2010? You could very well have missed/not bothered, watching the huge and growing protest march, as shown in a video in today's BP?

I witnessed it supported it and agreed 100% with the PAD's stand against Thaksin and his merry men however, the turn-out for the PAD rallies while large was certainly only a fraction of the overall population of Thailand. Lets for argument say that 250,000 different people attended over the course of the initial PAD rally, now also lets say that represented 1 in 10 who would have liked to be there, now that is 2.5 million. Now let us say that the population was split 50 /50 for and against Thaksin - this means about 6% of the non Thaksin supporters may have been interested, what has happened to the other 94% of non-Thaksin supporters - didn't care / know / understand / give a rat's ar_se / doesn't effect me.

Yes a substantial turn-out today for early days - which hopefully will grow as time progresses to a point that the o/seas fugitive can see it ain't all going his way as planned - cause that's when he starts making mistakes when the pressure is on and he's not in control.

The usual content....Old story when Thaksin let pastry box delivered to the court....

Rhetorical question, although cash is a bit dodgy nowadays, maybe promissory notes or shares in African diamond mines are safer.

I didn't realise the Democrats were paying the red shirts to protest or that the red shirts were shouting filth and profanities.

• Like 1

I didn't realise the Democrats were paying the red shirts to protest or that the red shirts were shouting filth and profanities.

Maybe the democrats should give this some serious thought - just up the anti a bit, nothing ventured nothing gained.

I witnessed it supported it and agreed 100% with the PAD's stand against Thaksin and his merry men however, the turn-out for the PAD rallies while large was certainly only a fraction of the overall population of Thailand. Lets for argument say that 250,000 different people attended over the course of the initial PAD rally, now also lets say that represented 1 in 10 who would have liked to be there, now that is 2.5 million. Now let us say that the population was split 50 /50 for and against Thaksin - this means about 6% of the non Thaksin supporters may have been interested, what has happened to the other 94% of non-Thaksin supporters - didn't care / know / understand / give a rat's ar_se / doesn't effect me.

Yes a substantial turn-out today for early days - which hopefully will grow as time progresses to a point that the o/seas fugitive can see it ain't all going his way as planned - cause that's when he starts making mistakes when the pressure is on and he's not in control.

Exactly, it is a minority that will get out and protest, not the majority...

Shame..

Just some side effects of the 'blanket amnesty' bill.

Former communist and current Pheu Thai party list MP and UDD leader Dr. weng will be pardoned a second time in his life.

The 2006 coupleader and current government coalition partner MP General Sonthi will be pardoned a second time as well. First time in article 309 (?) of the 2007 Constitution.

BTW with this amnesty the drive to get the article in the Constitution changed/removed can be dropped for a moment I guess?

if the Constitutional Court could subsequently overturn this law, I suppose Thaksin would at least have a short window of opportunity to come back to Thailand soon afterwards, at least for a short time and then leave the country again if it does go to the court in case he subsequently loses his immunity? Is that the correct interpretation?

if the Constitutional Court could subsequently overturn this law, I suppose Thaksin would at least have a short window of opportunity to come back to Thailand soon afterwards, at least for a short time and then leave the country again if it does go to the court in case he subsequently loses his immunity? Is that the correct interpretation?

If it goes to the Constitution Court, it doesn't actually become law until they pass it.

My understanding is that the bill will not be law untill the Constitutional Court has ruled on it. Even then the bill still needs to be Royally endorsed and published in the Royal Gazette.

November 5 is the day before the global body waste wa fo (Guy Fawkes Day), which is the date that the parliamentary dictatorship overthrow. ... Us nationals For a big reunion appearances, Thailand V at the same time at the democracy monument to the history of the inscription is November 5, 2013 V For Thailand, Kong worldwide by unison.

post-46292-0-05888400-1383558806_thumb.j