Thai govt 'ready to retreat'

webfact

Govt 'ready to retreat'
THE NATION

30218842-01_big.jpg

Skepticism about PM's statement that they will abide by Senate decision on amnesty bill; rally to continue until bill withdrawn

BANGKOK: -- The Pheu Thai government appears to be retreating from its stance on backing the controversial amnesty bill, which is facing growing public opposition, while the Senate also seems to be ready to reject the bill.

Though Pheu Thai secretary-general Phumtham Wechayachai repeated Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's remark that the bill's future was in the hands of the Senate, he refused to say whether or not the House of Representatives would reaffirm the bill a 180 days later if it is rejected by the Senate.

However, Phumtham mentioned the earlier amnesty bill put forward by MP Worachai Hema, which did not cover protest leaders, those in authority or corruption cases. Worachai's version was replaced by that of Prayuth Siripanich, which would provide amnesty to everybody facing charges for illegal political activities from 2004 to 2013 as well as cases investigated by the junta-appointed Assets Examination Committee (AEC).

"If the public accepts the other draft [Worachai's] later, it would be wonderful when people in prison are freed," he said, referring to the red-shirt supporters currently being detained in relation to the 2010 protests.

Meanwhile, Democrat MPs said last night that the rally at Democracy Monument would continue until the government withdraws the bill.

Yingluck's speech yesterday afternoon was ambiguous and further enraged protesters. Later, Wim Rungwattanajinda, a PM's Office Ministry spokesman, said she was making a gesture of compromise and her remark that the ball was in the Senate's court was in no way meant to burden the Upper House.

"We insist we're not stubbornly pushing forward the bill, or rushing it into a law. Also, we insist that there is no lobbying of the Senate to approve it," Wim said.

Yingluck, in her statement on state-owned TV, said the government would accept the Senate's decision on the draft amnesty law. "Whatever is done by the Senate, I truly believe that the House of Representatives will accept it, based on what is in the nation's best interest," she said.

She added that the bill should be considered as per the constitutional process. The Senate should be able to thoroughly deliberate the law. [Read full speech 2A]

Wim added the prime minister could not interfere in any of the Senate's affairs, as it may lead to her dismissal from office. All that she says is that she respects the Senate's decision, whatever it is, and the government will accept it, Wim said.

Wim's explanation came several hours after Yingluck's statement, made at a Government House press conference, further frustrated the public over her stance about the much-criticised bill, which grants amnesty to her fugitive brother Thaksin, while further enraging demonstrators at a large rally at Democracy Monument.

Senate Speaker Nikom Waiyaratpanit, speaking at a press conference after the PM's statement, said: "The Senate will vote to find a way out for the country and to unlock the current political situation." The Senate issued a statement to confirm this decision today.

Nikom also dismissed unconfirmed reports that the bill would be passed by the Senate in all three hearings in quick succession.

Elected senator Derek Thuengfang said Nikom cannot declare the Senate's stance, though more senators are gradually agreeing that the bill should not be passed.

Senator Paiboon Nititawan, a leader of those appointed, said all 37 elected - mostly based in the South - and all 67 appointed senators would vote against the bill. He accused the government of trying to lobby the elected senators to vote for the bill, at least in the first reading.

Elected Senator Singchai Thungthong, of Uthai Thani said he and several fellow elected senators had not decided yet to vote for or against the bill. He attacked the appointed senators, saying their announcement of their stance against the bill was meant to ride on the anti-bill wave.

Opposition chief whip and Democrat MP Jurin Laksanavisith said Yingluck's statement signified her further support for the bill, and there was no guarantee that the Pheu Thai-led government would not reaffirm this bill after 180 days even if the Senate decided to kill it.

Suriyasai Katasila, coordinator of Green Politics Group, said Yingluck's speech has worsened the situation.

"There is no sign of any retreat or review [of the bill]. Even worse, she throws the hot potato into the Senate. I think the government would eventually lobby the Senate to pass the bill," he said.

The question is how can society trust such a dishonest government, which always has a hidden agenda, to rule the country, Suriyasai asked.

After her statement, Yingluck reportedly was very shocked to know that the public was angered by her statement. She then reportedly asked her staff to explain to the media, that she and her government would not push through the bill.

Chat Thai Pattana Party chief adviser Banharn Silapa-archa said yesterday the speech by Yingluck should calm down the situation, and that he supported her stance that the Senate would eventually decide on the controversial amnesty bill.

The anti-amnesty rally is growing in large numbers by the hour, and numerous groups of people, from both the private and public sectors, including civil servants and government doctors, are vowing to protest against the bill.

Student and People Network for Thailand's Reform (STR) leader Uthai Yodmanee said the group did not care about what Yingluck said but wanted political reform.

He also said the group would step up its rally tomorrow and march to important places, but refused to say where.

The group's representative yesterday asked the national police chief to provide protection for protesters as they feared there might be "men in black" who would attack them.

Meanwhile, hundreds of supporters of Dharma Army, who formerly joined the STR protest at the Urupong intersection, yesterday marched and rallied at Phan Fah Bridge on Rajdamnoen Road.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-06

Meanwhile the changes to section 109 of the constitution sailed through its third reading, this removes public consultation and cabinet approval for deals done with foreign governments.

All smoke and mirrors. Watch the right hand and you don't see what the left's doing. Master of distractions.

Whatever the course of the whitewash bill, they need to keep all the income streams open. All this must now be costing far more than they thought.

• Like 1

Confirms my feelings of a couple of days ago.

I am convinced that Yingluck wants the senators to reject this bill and that will be the end of it!!!

This approach was doomed from the start (Thaksin's ideas always end up this way). It is never going to be accepted by the people and Chalerm's rediculous bills will never see the light of day.

I'm afraid that any further bills introduced to bring back 'that cowardly fugitive' will either be rejected by the people themselves (again) or the constitutional court, so Thaksin should get even more used to life outside of Thailand!!!
If you really want to know the comical thing behind all of this, it is that the mistake he made was making the red shirts think that he was letting Abhisit and Suthep off the hook to expediate his homecoming when they are nowhere near the hook. No one can tell me that they are liable to be spending any time in jail as they have done absolutely nothing wrong (all in the course of duty from quite rightly ordering the soldiers to protect themselves from the 'men in black') as most responsible PM's should and would have done.

Edited by webfact
Font size reduced //Admin
  • Like 1

As most of the poster's here on TV have stated from the first announcement that Yingluck would run for office. That this Governments positioning, playing catchup to the election promises,

sh*tty rice scheme, mega project loans that reach into the trillions, Flood and drought management, pushing the Pardon Thaskin Bill through the house at all cost's to now back away and let the senate decide the outcome.

is all about "The Great Mr. T."

Mr. T. must be thinking this is "sh*tty ting happening to me. Why do people hate me so much? Everyone is fleecing someone why are people hating on me for doing what everyone else is doing?"

"I used to be a contender!" "I used to be somebody." Sh*tty Sh*tty ting now.

Pheu Thai party to step back from amnesty bill
By English News

13837075368543.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 6 - The ruling Pheu Thai Party and its coalition parties are ready to take a step backward by leaving it to the Senate's decision, according to Pheu Thai Party Secretary General Phumtham Wechayachai.

Mr Phumtham said the coalition parties are willing to discuss with the people who have differing views over the bill. He stated that the move should not be seen as losing face.

The party would leave the bill to the Senate's consideration and would accept the Upper House's decision whether it rejects the bill on its first reading or accepts it for further consideration, he said.

However, he did not confirm whether or not the House of Representatives would reaffirm the bill 180 days later if it is rejected by the Senate.

Mr Phumtham said his party would move forward to clarify the objectives of the bill which aimed to ease conflict and achieve reconciliation. He added that the party was ready to listen to public opinion.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, earlier in the day, said on nationally televised address that the government would accept the Senate's decision on the amnesty bill.

The opposition Democrat Party leading a mass demonstration at Democracy Monument last night reacted with skepticism at the stances of both the prime minister and her ruling party.

Democrat MP Suthep Thaugsuban, a protest leader, told the crowd at Ratchadamnoen Avenue occupied by the anti-bill protesters for two days on Tuesday evening that the protest will not end unless the Pheu Thai-led government drops the bill. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-11-06

However, he did not confirm whether or not the House of Representatives would reaffirm the bill 180 days later if it is rejected by the Senate.

To me it looks like he indeed confirmed that the bill will be reaffirmed after 180 days.

Mr Phumtham said his party would move forward to clarify the objectives of the bill which aimed to ease conflict and achieve reconciliation.

They screwed the pooch good and proper, now they bat their eyelids with an expression of "who?, me?" trying to distance themselves from the mess they created... until they can try again in some other sneaky, underhanded way.

you have to accept in order to make peace between all political parties that the bill will pass, now or later. It will be the first step for further development in this country. Mr. T is not the only criminal. There are hundreds of those waiting in jail for this bill. Thailand needs peace but no fights. Public will have to accept even unpopular bills.

• Like 1

"We insist we're not stubbornly pushing forward the bill, or rushing it into a law. Also, we insist that there is no lobbying of the Senate to approve it," Wim said.

Meanwhile.

Senator Paiboon Nititawan, a leader of those appointed, said all 37 elected - mostly based in the South - and all 67 appointed senators would vote against the bill. He accused the government of trying to lobby the elected senators to vote for the bill, at least in the first reading.

Who do you believe? .......... tough call isn't it, not.

After months of bill pushing the government may now find time to continue work on other, less important issues maybe?

- 350 billion project on flood control

- tabletPcs and programs for P1, P2, M1

- adjustment minimum wage per 1st of January

- selling 11 - 17 millions tonnes of deteriorating rice

- retracting a criminal fugitives passport

- etc., etc.

• Like 2

you have to accept in order to make peace between all political parties that the bill will pass, now or later. It will be the first step for further development in this country. Mr. T is not the only criminal. There are hundreds of those waiting in jail for this bill. Thailand needs peace but no fights. Public will have to accept even unpopular bills.

You assume the bill will pass now or later.

I doubt that this "government' can believe the massive public backlash to this bill. They will lose some "face' since they believed they could force it through unchallenged. Well, the tiger has awoken and is on the streets..

No, Mr Thaksin is not the only criminal, fair enough, but he IS a criminal and while those hundreds are waiting in jail, Mr Thaksin, may blessings be upon him, swans around the world from one luxury resort to another with time to flirt with Norwegian teens. Had he been a real man and served some time for his 'crimes', he might be a bigger hero than ever. Right now, he is a figure of division and derision in the kingdom.

Thailand, being a democracy, needs peace, but its citizens have the right to fight for justice and fairness. The public does not have to accept unpopular bills without criticism. That's why we call it a democracy.

• Like 2

The medicine may be bitter but it is required to cure the disease of corruption. The aspirin of amnesty just delays the inevitable.

Or, in order to make peace, the bill should be dropped.

There are hundreds waiting in jail and they might have had a hope of getting out if Thaksin hadn't been tacked on the list for amnesty.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You assume the bill will pass now or later.

I doubt that this "government' can believe the massive public backlash to this bill. They will lose some "face' since they believed they could force it through unchallenged. Well, the tiger has awoken and is on the streets..

No, Mr Thaksin is not the only criminal, fair enough, but he IS a criminal and while those hundreds are waiting in jail, Mr Thaksin, may blessings be upon him, swans around the world from one luxury resort to another with time to flirt with Norwegian teens. Had he been a real man and served some time for his 'crimes', he might be a bigger hero than ever. Right now, he is a figure of division and derision in the kingdom.

Thailand, being a democracy, needs peace, but its citizens have the right to fight for justice and fairness. The public does not have to accept unpopular bills without criticism. That's why we call it a democracy.

Meow!

Simple NO AMNISTY for anyone...

That is what the demonstrations are basically about. Unfortunately, this will delay the return of dear Leader Thaksin Shinawatra.

Abhisit and Suthep don't want amnesty. Thaksin must have it in order to return and claim his the billions he claims is his and to resume his place as P.M. in Thailand not Dubai.

Maybe they can find a compromise?

Only amnesty for Thaksin and no other?

The difference between these protests and the 2010 protests is that todays protestors are not being paid 500 Baht a day and the Puea Thai government knows this. This is a 'grassroots' protest and the 2010 protests were 'Astroturf®'.

Now the Puea Thai government is saying, "Was that wrong, should I not have done that?" like they didn't know this 'amnesty' bill would bring the opposite of reconciliation or unity. Maybe their excuse will be, "We were just following orders".

When I think of Dr. Thaksin and his supporters and apologists, I am disgusted. How could anyone not be aware of the subterfuge, deceit, and wrongness of this man who controls the puppet government of Thailand? How can these puppets in the Puea Thai government look themselves in the mirror?

• Like 2

Meow!

Hey, Local Drunk, your bloody cat is on your computer again. Now some of your previous posts make sense ! biggrin.png

"Yingluck, in her statement on state-owned TV, said the government would accept the Senate's decision on the draft amnesty law. "Whatever is done by the Senate, I truly believe that the House of Representatives will accept it, based on what is in the nation's best interest," she said."

If she was serious about the nation's best interest she would admit to the people of Thailand that she has only been acting the part of PM, pack up her shopping bags, and p### off ! thumbsup.gif

Simple NO AMNISTY for anyone...

That is what the demonstrations are basically about. Unfortunately, this will delay the return of dear Leader Thaksin Shinawatra.

Abhisit and Suthep don't want amnesty. Thaksin must have it in order to return and claim his the billions he claims is his and to resume his place as P.M. in Thailand not Dubai.

Maybe they can find a compromise?

Only amnesty for Thaksin and no other?

At least they would finally be honest for once. They don't really care about anyone but Dr. Thaksin anyway.

• Like 1

The difference between these protests and the 2010 protests is that todays protestors are not being paid 500 Baht a day and the Puea Thai government knows this. This is a 'grassroots' protest and the 2010 protests were 'Astroturf®'.

Now the Puea Thai government is saying, "Was that wrong, should I not have done that?" like they didn't know this 'amnesty' bill would bring the opposite of reconciliation or unity. Maybe their excuse will be, "We were just following orders".

When I think of Dr. Thaksin and his supporters and apologists, I am disgusted. How could anyone not be aware of the subterfuge, deceit, and wrongness of this man who controls the puppet government of Thailand? How can these puppets in the Puea Thai government look themselves in the mirror?

Good post.

Whenever I think about the bloodless coup of 2006 I can't help comparing it to the deadly debacle of the Bangkok "peaceful protests" of 2010, fully orchestrated and funded by an evil so-and-so bent on revenge.

The coup served it's purpose, it removed an evil fox from the henhouse, and Thaksin's disgusting attempt at revenge in 2010 resulted in the deaths of over 90 people. No matter what the circumstances of their deaths, their blood is on his hands. It was his show.

And your question - "How can these puppets in the Puea Thai government look themselves in the mirror?".....................Just look up the word "psychopath" in the dictionary and it should answer your question. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

So Yingluck's speech is supposed to calm things down. It would have done if she had gone beyond the 'we'll accept the senate's decision' rubbish. The law is that they have to accept it but she might have meant something if she had said what they would do if the senate rejects it. She really has difficulty explaining things - not surprising I suppose when the decision for the next step is with her brother.

If she has any brains - and the jury is out there - she should tell her brother that has part in any amnesty will only happen over the dead body of too many Thais.

• Like 1

rametindallas post # 22

They can't see their reflection as both money sucking and blood sucking vampires do not according to legend cast either a shadow or a mirror image.whistling.gif