Dslr Sensor Cleaning

I've got some horrible crud on my sensor and want to clean it. Scanning the internet tells me that simply setting clean mode and blowing it won't work! I either need static charged brushes or special cleaning pads and a very pure cleaning solution - or both!

I have a friend coming over from the UK in a few weeks time so could buy there - but does anyone in Bangkok stock this sort of kit? I live in Pattaya so I don't want to go there on spec!

Many thanks, Peter

IMHO don't even think about it!!

Get it done by the camera distributer.

I believe some cameras have a cleaning facility builtin,

but even that should be used sparingly.

Thanks for that - but I think it's essential and I think I trust myself more than a local camera distributor - my shop hadn't even heard of sensor cleaning! It is after all a piece of glass. I've ordered a kit from the UK.

If you want to check for yourself - take a picture of a bright sky with a telephoto at f22, ideally close focused (do this manually). If you change lenses frequently then you will probably see a few round marks and strange dots - this is dust on the sensor. Alternatively, simply look at the sky in your pictures taken well stopped down (f11+).

Anyone interested, I'll post my experience when the kit arrives.

Peter

I ordered a kit from the USA a few weeks ago and it has yet to arrive; so would be interested in your supplier, assuming yours arrives OK.

I agree, I would rather clean myself if I was unsure of the abilities of the agent. It does not appear to be that difficult and you will not do any damage provided you approach the task properly. I understand you are actually cleaning a glass cover over the sensor and not the sensor itself.

There are a few people who do it successfully with Q tips and heavy breathing on the sensor!

My 30D has some spots which have not come off with the blower method; so the sensor will have to be cleaned.

Agreed with Astral. I wouldn't want to try it myself on my 5D (full-size sensor). Can't afford to screw it up. Why risk it when there's a service center in Thailand (at least for Canon)? I think Nikon sells cleaning kit under their own brand. But I thought Canon doesn't recommend users to clean the sensor themselves.

I've cleaned normal dust off my 350D pretty easily, with the blower method. If it's stubborn enough to resist this method, you should go the distributor. I know that Canon Thai provides sensor cleaning services.

• 3 weeks later...

An update on my sensor cleaningA friend brought me out my Visible Dust cleaning kit (14,000 baht) - the day before he arrived I left my camera on the back seat of a taxi in Bangkok - never to be seen again! So cleaning the sensor was a bit irrelevant! (ps have now replaced it - nice clean sensor).

However, whilst in Bangkok I asked about materials in Fotofile (3rd floor) - they didn't stock any but said their technician would do it for free. When I asked about exactly what he/she would do the answers got a bit vague - but it may be worth giving them a trial.

I have owned a few dslrs now and my suggestion in that you use a product from a canadian company called visible dust. they make a brush which is, in my opinion the only way to clean your chip. Recently my 1DsmkII was at canon thailand for a minor repair. They also "cleaned" my sensor free of charge without my asking for it. They used canned air and a sticker to remove the dust. When I inspected, there was more dust and smudges than before! Furthermore, the pads and stickers, and especially canned air all have damaging potential. I am a huge fan of the brush. Oh, i even have one for sale! just remembered this. I use the brush made for the full size sensor of the 1Ds, but I also have a smaller brush for cameras with a crop factor. I have since sold my smaller chip camera. so if you're interested, we can meet and I'll give you a demo...

http://www.visibledust.com/products.php?PID=206

-Mark

See profile for email address.