Where To Exchange Currency?

BKK Traveler

I'm arriving late night this Thursday in BKK and then travel very early Friday morning to Udon Thani for a day and then around Isaan. I'm bringing US Dollar Travelers Cheques. I know the airport has the worst exchange rates, but just how bad is it? Does anyone have an actual number of what the difference is between the airport and an average money changer in BKK? What hours are the money changers in BKK open? I don't really want to make the trip into BKK just to change money being that I'm only there for such a short time and only at night, but if the difference is significant enough it might be worthwhile.

This Friday is a holiday, so I'm assuming banks will be closed from Thursday evening until Monday morning, so without any banks open in Udon Thani, are there money changers there that would be open that would give a good rate similar to BKK? I'd prefer to just wait until I get to Udon Thani to change the money, but don't want to get screwed by finding there aren't any money changers open there or that the rate really sucks. Any advice on someone knowledgeable about this would be greatly appreciated.

"Why don't you bring an ATM card, its then easy to withdraw the money in baht wherever you are."

bkkmadness is correct again! Cashing in the Travelers checks anywhere in Issan, is not as simple as using the Exchange booths in BKK. I have seen it take in excess of 1 hour to cash a check, and the banks are not open on Saturday or Sunday.

You get your best exchange rate using your ATM also.........

Be aware that some provincial bansk will not change money.

Yes I know it is amazing.

I bank with Krung Thai, but when I needed to change some money,

my local branch sent me along the road to Thai Farmers... the opposition!!