Is Anybody Using " Acronis" Back Up and Recovery?

sirchai

Hello and Sawasdee khrap,

A friend, who'd been a pirate in his life before, gave me a nice program, called Acronis. I'd installed it and found out that it seems to be almost perfect. Got my drive C on an external drive, created a boot-able CD, which works perfect.

Notebook didn't start up, Acronis jumped in automatically, and gave me the option to boot my system again. What do you think about it?-wai2.gif

Been using Acronis Home edition for a few years. Currently using 2011 version as it allows me to backup my Linux server also. Previous versions didn't support many Linux file systems. Works great. Used it a few times when upgrading my disk drives and just image my backup direct to it and up and running in a few minutes.

• Like 1

I have Paragon and it now does not backup a mounted drive. This is driving me nuts. It does not see it sometimes. When it does, it backs up for a few minutes and stops.

Not asking for help, just venting.

Does Acronis back up TO mounted drive?

Edited by Somtamnication

I have Paragon and it now does not backup a mounted drive. This is driving me nuts. It does not see it sometimes. When it does, it backs up for a few minutes and stops.

Not asking for help, just venting.

Does Acronis back up TO mounted drive?

Yes. I did my last backup recently to an external 2TB USB drive.

I used Acronis for many years before switching to Linux

In my opinion it was one it the best of it's type and I still recommend it to friends

sent from my Internet aware non fruity mobile device

That's exactly what I wanted to post. Yep, Acronis is a damn decent program compared to others.

Glary Utilities does a decent job but I'd still recommend Acronis for its ease of use. It never let me down when I did a reformat on a Windows computer.

I concur that Acronis is probably the best of the backup/restore programs. Have been using it for more than 10 years. Use it on both personal and business PCs running Windows. It has saved my cookies several times. One suggestion though -- move your Outlook files to a drive or partition other than your C: drive. Be aware that when you do a restore Acronis will wipe the drive clean first and then re-install everything that was backed up. So back up often.

Unlike some of the competitors, Acronis does back up a mounted drive. Also it can run in the background which lets you use the computer as it is being backed up. Easy to configure.

Acronis seems to offer more options than the competitors. One I like is that you can adjust the compression level of the backup. Higher compression will require more time for the backup, but will require slightly longer. To illustrate, I do a full (not incremental) backup about 800 gb of data weekly at the "medium" compression level and it takes about 4 hours. The lower default compression level of the same backup takes about 3.5 hours. I place my backups on an eSata external drive enclosure which has 2 drives configured as RAID 0.

Clendenin

Also highly recommend the Acronis Disk Director. It is a separate program.

I am a recent convert to a registered copy of Acronis Trueimage 2013 after being a satisfied user of Storagecraft backup for many years. Lack of adequate support from Storagecraft lead me to change. Apart from inherent disk imaging problems for external USB 2.0 or 3.0 which seem to be common with many backup apps scheduled Trueimage backups work fine for me. To get around the disk image backup issues I just do a standard file backup for all data on my external USB drives and it works fine. The only drive that really needs a disk image (for bare metal recovery) is my internal boot drive © and that works fine also.

As far as the original OP not enough info to do problem determination but if the extenal boot drive is USB I would forget attempting any sort of disk image as they can fail when backing up, recovering or verifying a backup.

Oh yes i would like to also add that i have a huge 1.5TB USB 3.0 external HDD and with such a huge and fast hdd this ensures that i have enough space to store the imaged backups cos prior to that i used my older 7200 rpm hdd to store my backups and they were around 250 and 500 GB and u know the size wasn't too large and on SATA 2 speed which is slower than USB 3.0 so the backup was slower.

Remember to give enough space to store your back ups and even though you can compress the back ups greatly so that they can fit into a smaller space i find it's better not to use such high compression just normal compression setting should do. I use differential back up so that the program only backs up the changes made from the last back up rather than backing up the entire thing again from scratch. I make sure to validate or check all back ups to see if they are working properly and not damaged cos i did encounter a back up that didn't work in the past.

Oh yes my entire OS doesn't really take up too much space. I think it's around maybe 30GB in size so it's easy to back up and it's on an ssd. I don't back up my movie or music files and you shouldn't either. You should try to store your music, movie, games on a seperate folder or a different drive and only just back up your OS files and software program files.

I used Acronis for quite a well, but it'd often hang when making a backup till I changed some setting somewhere in the Control Panel. Never too happy with it for that reason.

I switched to the free Macrium Reflect and just did a full restore with it, no problem at all.

I don't back up my movie or music files and you shouldn't either. You should try to store your music, movie, games on a seperate folder or a different drive and only just back up your OS files and software program files.

Yeah, only backup your music, movies, and games if you want to be sure to keep them.

Me, I do want to keep mine, so, even though I shouldn't, I back them up as well--from their separate disk to another separate disk (you can never have enough disks smile.png). For that I just use Synchback but any of many backup programs will do--Cobain, FBack, freefilesynch. In fact, Acronis will, I think, backup some folders for you. Freefilesynch, BTW, also has a program for mirroring/backing up a folder in near real-time--a kind of pseudo-RAID. Yadis is another such program. Useful for constant and immediate backup of, say, your mail files folder.

Edited by JSixpack

I used Acronis for quite a well, but it'd often hang when making a backup till I changed some setting somewhere in the Control Panel. Never too happy with it for that reason.

I switched to the free Macrium Reflect and just did a full restore with it, no problem at all.

That's unquestionably a good program but only the pro version does incremental backups and bare metal restores to different hardware. A number of masochistic members will irrationally insist you have to do a new install from scratch on different hardware, but I say, "Why fool around?" Acronis and Paragon, I know, do it brilliantly. 'Nuff said--we discussed that topic recently.

Edited by JSixpack

One thing to remember, particularly with backup software, is support. If you ever need a full recovery (or maybe even partial) to the same or different hardware you may very well need some.

That's the reason I dropped the Storagecraft product and while I have issues with disk imaging of external USB drives the support from Acronis even after my trial period was excellent.

They 'educated' me and gave me practical workarounds and support at a level I considered 'above and beyond'. I'm a private user and it was all 'free'.

I've worked in IT for a long time and unless you're a corporate (and even then a lot of the time) you don't find good support anymore at the end of the phone or email. IMHO support is worth as much as the product you purchase.

BTW: I do incremental backups of my OS drive and all data drives weekly. I start a new backup set every 2 months and then keep the lastest 3. The Acronis scheduler looks after this automatically for me. It took a while to learn and finesse but it's on autopilot now.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by avander