Life in Kathu

Dualeck

I have tried to search on the forum but could find very few posts or threads with specific information about Kathu. The internet isn't very informative about this little area either, and i'm starting to wonder if theres a reason for it...

I am in the middle of my twenties and planning to stay in Phuket for about a year. I have considered moving to Kathu since the pricing on accommodations there seems very reasonable. In addition its close to central festival and not that far away from where i'm planning to work. But is it cheap to live in Kathu for any specific reason? Will i suddenly be surprised by wild criminality and gangs, or other things i should know about?

My general impression is that its a very quiet area, and maybe somewhat boring? Is there much restaurants or nightlife going on there? Don't expect Bangla road, but is there any selection on Bars? And speaking about Patong. How are the road between Kathu and Patong? And does anyone know a rough estimate about the pricing of tuk tuk/taxi between Patong and Kathu?

Wow so many questions. I don't expect people to answer everyone, but i would very much appreciate a little bitt more information about the subject. Thanks.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only been here a very short while so the other members of Thai Visa who have been here a while might tell you different. The research I did on the internet didnt find any half decent accommodation in Kathu at a cheap price. I ended up renting somewhere in Chalong. Its only a 15 minute ride to Nai Harn beach which I have been told is one of the best beaches in the south of phuket. There's a decent gym in Nai Harn and plenty of shops and supermarkets. The only thing I need to find is a decent bar that sells COLD beer.

Well i also live in Chalong at the moment and its nice enough. But at the start of the new year i want to find another place to live on the island.

Btw i also would be interested in a place where they serve cold beer and show Premier League. Isn't there any down by Chalong Pier?

I live for about 5 years in Kathu (close to Kathu market) and i love it.

It is close to most places like lotus, central etc and also close to Patong where my business is.

I did not notice any difference in crime as compared to most places except maybe Rawai which is much worse in my opinion. Also there are enough small open beer bars where you can have a normal drink and chat with people who live in the area.

It's cheaper because it's not near the beaches. Much of the staff from Patongs tourism sector lives there. It's no more The road between Patong and Kathu is steep, twisty, and treacherous. Many accidents occur there. There is no more criminal element than other parts of Phuket. It's too far from the beaches for me but I have a lot of friends that live in that area and they seem to like it.

BTW, Patong is Kathu district but the area east of the Patong hills but before you reach town is referred to as Kathu, so don't get confused when you try to find the Kathu police station then learn it's in Patong.

It's cheaper because it's not near the beaches. Much of the staff from Patongs tourism sector lives there. It's no more The road between Patong and Kathu is steep, twisty, and treacherous. Many accidents occur there. There is no more criminal element than other parts of Phuket. It's too far from the beaches for me but I have a lot of friends that live in that area and they seem to like it.

BTW, Patong is Kathu district but the area east of the Patong hills but before you reach town is referred to as Kathu, so don't get confused when you try to find the Kathu police station then learn it's in Patong.

Is there any alternatives to transportation from Kathu to Patong then? Because i only have a bike. Like Sonthaew or something. And does anyone have an idea about approximately how much it cost to take taxi from Kathu to Patong?

Is there any alternatives to transportation from Kathu to Patong then? Because i only have a bike. Like Sonthaew or something. And does anyone have an idea about approximately how much it cost to take taxi from Kathu to Patong?

There is bus service from Kathu to Patong and stops at the caltex station in Kathu.

Forget taxis as that doesn't work in Phuket imho.

• Like 1

There is bus service from Kathu to Patong and stops at the caltex station in Kathu.

Yeah i know its ..... But just wondering how big the damage is at that particular distance.

Does the busses leave frequently?

I now live in kathu, i lived in patong 10 years and all i can say is i should have moved here years ago,

Interesting. What specifically makes kathu such a good place to live?

Lets turn that on it's head and say "what makes patong such a bad place to live", to me there's no comparison between the two, i still have property in patong and our business, i cringe every time i go near the place, so quite rightly i got out of patong, the most important difference i noticed were the people, how a hill and 5 km make all the difference, please Mr Dueleck, i'd be interested in your views on Patong and Kathu and what is your main priority for a contented life, is it people, location??????.

I now live in kathu, i lived in patong 10 years and all i can say is i should have moved here years ago,

Interesting. What specifically makes kathu such a good place to live?

Lets turn that on it's head and say "what makes patong such a bad place to live", to me there's no comparison between the two, i still have property in patong and our business, i cringe every time i go near the place, so quite rightly i got out of patong, the most important difference i noticed were the people, how a hill and 5 km make all the difference, please Mr Dueleck, i'd be interested in your views on Patong and Kathu and what is your main priority for a contented life, is it people, location??????.

Well i haven't seen much of either place. But what i need is a quiet place. By although it has to bee quiet i want the option to go out and have a drink every once in a while (which is not often, maybe 2-3 times a month). Yeas meeting nice people is very important for me. And want a somewhat "normal" traffic, tired of having to use 10 minutes to wait for an opportunity to cross the road.

Trouble is that the pubic bus service stops very early, about 18.00. Good service in day light hours.

I used to live in Kathu & found it very central for shopping, medical, schools, plus not too far from Patong. Nowadays there are quite a few bars & restaurants scattered throughout the area. Grizzly's is good for sport & bar food as is Chalong Pier Beer Garden in Chalong. BTW Nomad the Kathu police station is in Kathu up behind the Amphur & was there long before they opened the Patong branch. I have no idea on rental prices but in Anuphas Golfville, where I used to live, I reckon you could find a good rental deal.

kathu is nice, a new bar/restaurant open just opposite the gasoline station/caltex, anyone tried it out yet?

It is called The Office and run by a Norwegian guy called Tore and his Thai GF Joy. It opened more than 1 year ago now. Attracts many local expats so it wouldn't hurt to visit and have a beer there and gather some Kathu specific information. There is a pool table and two nice girls working there although I do not think they can be bar fined (should you be looking for that). Big enough TV with Premier League football as well. Not much of a restaurant though but a few dishes like a hamburger are on the menu. Every Sunday BBQ for 95 Baht. Good deal.

After reading this post I realized I didn't look at staying in Kathu. It was Kata and Karon as they were both close to the beaches but a decent apartment close to the beach in high season was more than I wanted to spend on rent.

Kathu is a residential area situated half way between Patong and Phuket town about 10 or 15 minutes travel to both

There is a lot of cheaper housing there also more expensive western style housing

Most expats who live there are middle aged and prefer a quieter life especially in the evening

Its 10 minutes driving from the 2 biggest supermarkets on phuket

It has its own police station near the caltex service station and i found the police officers very good to deal with

the traffic is not heavy except in peak hours, a good area to live in if you are not a tourist

Its not on or close to a beach thats why rents are cheaper

Just to avoid confusion here.

There are three Ampurs, or, districts that make up Phuket.

These are Thalang, Kathu and Muang.

Kathu as an Ampur also includes Patong. When most people talk about Kathu, they refer to the Kathu valley which the town of Kathu is located in.

This is of course what i'm referring to. If i meant Patong i would have written Patong.

Kathu is a residential area situated half way between Patong and Phuket town about 10 or 15 minutes travel to both

There is a lot of cheaper housing there also more expensive western style housing

Most expats who live there are middle aged and prefer a quieter life especially in the evening

It has its own police station near the caltex service station and i found the police officers very good to deal with

the traffic is not heavy except in peak hours, a good area to live in if you are not a tourist

Although it's only a 10 minute drive from Patong beach.

Although it's only a 10 minute drive from Patong beach.

10 or 15 minutes if not stuck in a traffic jam which happens regularly in peak hours

or if there has been a traffic accident

Edited by nedkellylives

I lived in Kathu, near the new markets, for 2 years, had no trouble with crime, maybe because my neighbour is a farang thai cop, NOT a tourist copper, I commuted, by scooter, to Patong many times, it's not as "scary" as people say, just avoid peak hours and watch out for cars cutting corners on Patong hill, they really do not respect other road users. Kathu is only 10 -15 minutes away as is Central festival and Tesco - Lotus. Best of all it's away from the madness of Patong.

Kathu is basically in the middle of nowhere. Not close to anything but not far either. 15-20 minutes to the beach.

Quiet and peaceful, you will need a scooter/car. The basic difference in why I think some people prefer it to other

places is it is not as transient as the more popular beach areas. A little more community. In the beach areas most people

are transient tourists there for a few weeks . So it is hard to meet and get to know people. Cheaper condos are available because

the land was cheap I guess. Expensive by Thai standards lots of availability because they are far from the beach and not

good for tourists,even 6 month tourists as it is the middle of the island. I would definitely negotiate the asking price.

Up to you, some people love it, some would hate it. As you are staying for a year, work is nearby, are young, I think you

would like it.

... BTW Nomad the Kathu police station is in Kathu up behind the Amphur & was there long before they opened the Patong branch. ...

I think you will find that to be the other way round. The Kathu police headquarters are most definitely in Patong, with sub-station in Kathu. A quick Google search confirms this. I find it hard to believe that is was ever not in Patong considering Kathu was not much more than a few roads cutting through jungle and plantations between Patong and town until a little over a decade ago.

No songtheaws here. Be aware that transport in Phuket is unlike any other parts of Thailand. It is priced to be used by only to tourists, and designed to be able to the highest possible fares from tourists that have no idea how far their destination may be, or what a reasonable fare is. No meters and no posted fares on the tuk tuks. It is open to abuse, but that is by design. Tuk tuk (which for Phuket means a little red truck) co-ops and taxi "federations" have all colluded in price-fixing, often using threats and intimidation in order to slowly increase fares over the years so now some of the prices being asked are more expensive than anywhere in the world. A taxi ride from the airport to the main beaches is now "officially" 800B+, if you manage to get the "official" price. I have had many of my customers charged between 1800B and 4000B. This trip in a Bangkok metered taxi would be around 275B. Often your taxi ride from the airport will cost more than your regional flights airfare. Getting from one beach to the next, a 10-15m ride, might be 400B, getting back, 1200B. There is a rudimentary bus system, but the schedules are irregular and as LIK mentioned, they stop around 6pm. And there is no bus system between the beach towns. The last time that was tried, tuk tuk drivers dragged the bus driver from his bus and beat him.

• Like 1

... BTW Nomad the Kathu police station is in Kathu up behind the Amphur & was there long before they opened the Patong branch. ...

I think you will find that to be the other way round. The Kathu police headquarters are most definitely in Patong, with sub-station in Kathu. A quick Google search confirms this. I find it hard to believe that is was ever not in Patong considering Kathu was not much more than a few roads cutting through jungle and plantations between Patong and town until a little over a decade ago.

Make that three decades ago.