Yingluck emphasises Thai-Cambodian ties for cooperation

Lite Beer

PREAH VIHEAR
Yingluck emphasises Thai-Cambodian ties for cooperation
The Nation

30219327-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said Thailand and Cambodia will have to jointly work out solutions that benefit both nations, after the International Court of Justice (ICJ)'s verdict on the Preah Vihear case.

"Thailand and Cambodia share the 800-km-long border. As Asean members, we have to rely on each other for prosperity. We share long historical ties and both need to cooperate for the sake of both nations," she said at a press conference.

She also assured all that for Thailand’s part, the government would put Thailand’s sovereignty and national interests on the priority as well as the pride of Thailand and Asean. The government has instructed military officers to maintain peace along the border.

The Thai government will set up a working committee, to carry out actions in persuant to the ICJ’s verdict. The committee will then work with Cambodia, to find mutual solutions, she said.

From the VDO conference from the Hague, Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul praised the legal team, consisting of Thais and foreigners.

"On behalf of the Thai government, we’d like to thank you for the support you delivered to Thai people," he told the foreign team.

Alain Pellet noted that he was satisfied with the ruling and he thanked for the support from the Thai team, which provided the "wonderful, enthusiastic and friendly assistance".

"We thank the team and the government of Thailand and also Thai people for their wonderful welcome (witnessed during his visit to Bangkok)," he said.

Alina Miron added that the team has done its best and the verdict was "very good for Thailand and Cambodia to move on".

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-11

The political leaders of both countries are close friends and business partners too I believe and I'm sure they'll use their considerable influence to keep their troops in order.

Am I right in thinking that one of the Shin clan, married into the Hun Sen clan? So there is even interbreeding?

• Like 1

The political leaders of both countries are close friends and business partners too I believe and I'm sure they'll use their considerable influence to keep their troops in order.

Am I right in thinking that one of the Shin clan, married into the Hun Sen clan? So there is even interbreeding?

No, Chayapa Wongsawat youngest daughter of Somchai & Yaowappa Wongsawat, married Nam Lynal, the son of CPP lawyer Seang Nam. She's Yingluck's niece. His dad is buddy buddy with Hun Sen.

This power arrangement took place earlier this year in Bangkok. Money marrying more money. Just a nice normal couple starting out in life.

post-9891-0-00800700-1384182152_thumb.jp

We will see what this all really means when the dust settles. Of course the government does not want to say that the decision is adverse in any way. We will know soon enough what will happen. The ICJ is very good at making it sound like everybody is a winner!

Oscar Wilde said"a rich man can not buy his past" perhaps also true for country or kingdom...Thai Army Preah Vihear 1979...

The refugees were unloaded from the buses and pushed down the steep escarpment. There was no path to follow, one said. The way that we had to go down was only a cliff. Some people hid on top of the mountain and survived. Others were shot or pushed over the cliff. Most of the people began to climb down using vines as ropes. They tied their children on their backs and strapped them across their chests. As the people climbed down, the soldiers threw big rocks over the cliff...then a minefield to cross 3000 Cambodians dead.7000 Cambodians unaccounted for.Tenuous ties and nil cooperation.

• Like 1

Reiltin

Thank you for reminding us of that.

Yet one more reason to hate Thaksin.

and you know- as I do- that he plans to drive all THAI people off that cliff?

I know because my loving wife told me so.

(Southern Thais will have special cliffs allocated-- again wifey read this on Facebook).

Edited by blaze

Where does she get these hideous, 19th century costumes all the time? Shinawatra Silk?

Actually I think her fashion sense might be influenced by that sixties icon Tin Tin from the puppet series Thunderbirds. Their look is remarkably similar! smile.png

Never heard of Tin Tin being in Thunderbirds !

No, Chayapa Wongsawat youngest daughter of Somchai & Yaowappa Wongsawat, married Nam Lynal, the son of CPP lawyer Seang Nam. She's Yingluck's niece. His dad is buddy buddy with Hun Sen.

This power arrangement took place earlier this year in Bangkok. Money marrying more money. Just a nice normal couple starting out in life.

attachicon.gifchayapa.jpg

Nice, I hope she will be the same interesting woman as her mum when she gets older smile.png

attachicon.gifchayapa.jpg

Nice, I hope she will be the same interesting woman as her mum when she gets older smile.png

Maybe the full ugly gene hasn't quite evolved yet