Wok

dash

What is your preference when using a wok and did you find any differences in the cooking result when using a flat or a round wok or any other pan ?

And are there extension rings to buy to hold a round bottom wok on top of a standart houshold flat gas cook stove ?

Today is the first warm day in Switzerland

When I considered which wok to buy in Thailand I had to consider cooking bacon and eggs so in that case I got a flat bottom style wok. That way I didn't have to buy 2 pans.

In Australia Asian cooking is a big thing, the newer gas stoves come with a wok burner which is a bigger burner with more flame. It also comes with the extension ring to elevate it. It works really well with a round wok. I don't know what your set up is in Switzerland but I would think you should be able to buy those extension rings.

The other advantage of buying a flat wok is that in some Apartments/condos they do not have gas and use electric stoves. In that case a flat wok is the only way to go. My opinion is a rounded wok is better, hope that helps.

What is your preference when using a wok and did you find any differences in the cooking result when using a flat or a round wok or any other pan ?

And are there extension rings to buy to hold a round bottom wok on top of a standart houshold flat gas cook stove ?

Today is the first warm day in Switzerland

I have a round-bottomed cast iron wok that I've been using for >25 years now and it cooks good.

Round-bottomed is the best heat-transfer. :o

Thanks for replies. I go for a round bottemed and have to browse the shops as I do not find this extension rings on the web. The factories I contacted replied as sometimes in LOS with "No have" when they did not understand the problem.

I found only reduction rings for the Italian espresso machine.

Thought the rule was round bottom wok for gas and flat bottom for electric?

yep - there would be a hel_l of a mess if i tried cooking my usual half a sack of rice in a rounded wok on a flat electric hob... :o

but if i had gas - a nice well rounded bottom would get my vote everytime

• 3 weeks later...

Thought the rule was round bottom wok for gas and flat bottom for electric?

yep - there would be a hel_l of a mess if i tried cooking my usual half a sack of rice in a rounded wok on a flat electric hob... :o

but if i had gas - a nice well rounded bottom would get my vote everytime

A well rounded bottom always gets my vote every time! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Round bottoms are great for catering style cooking on a wok range, where the gas flame is much higher and hotter than domestic. It gives you a gradation in heat, from very hot at the bottom, cooling up the sides.

A flat bottomed wok is better for domestic cooking. Moire heat is retained at the base and it almost approximates a professional stir fry.

I have always used round bottoms in the restaurant or on my home wok range and flat bottoms on a domestic cooker.

p1p post seems to sum it up. I am not a chief but believe the whole idea is very hot at bottom but less heat on sides so you can alternate and cook everything at once but pull items out of the high heat/oil when required. That said have found most imported stoves do not have strong enough gas flame for wok to cook properly; which was reason have recently purchased locally made Lucky Flame brand which seems to have a real wok burner.

In the US you do find woks for sale that include a ring - normally those sold in department stores or dedicated kitchen stores.

As mentioned, it is not me doing the cooking. My culinary abilities end at microwave heating.

p1p post seems to sum it up. I am not a chief but believe the whole idea is very hot at bottom but less heat on sides so you can alternate and cook everything at once but pull items out of the high heat/oil when required.

Got it in one. In and out of the heat for a few seconds is vital for good stir frying.

My wok ranges have flames that run up to about 30cms or so high and make a roaring noise. Domestic cookers have nowhere near this level of heat.

• 3 weeks later...