From tourist to retirement visa - report back from Chaeng wattana

After getting some advice on this forum re converting from tourist to retirement visa in Chaeng wattana, I just wanted to report back on my experience applying yesterday.

Despite having all the documents needed for the visa, the officer I had to deal with (unpleasant to say the least), scrutinised every piece of paper I submitted. She then decided that the two letters from my banks (stating that I had more than enough money to be eligible for this visa and that I had that money in my accounts for one year and more), somehow did not provide enough evidence ( of what I was not entirely sure!). I also showed that the source of that money is from abroad. She then started asking obscure questions about the money in my account and saying I needed to get letters dated the same day of the application. This was not possible for one bank letter since there was no branch in CW road. The bank had even given me a breakdown of my savings but she didn't think this was enough. She asked me to call the bank manager. I don't normally carry or even know the bank manager's name and phone number and so I called the branch and she talked to them. Not sure what she asked the bank but the main thing is that I don't believe what she did was following any standard regulations. That apparently wasn't enough for her. I was asked to copy every page on my bank books too.

Another thing is that I went prepared with three copies and three photos of my application form. In fact only one of each is needed.

The biggest surprise came when I was told to go back two weeks later to know if my application has been accepted. This was not clear from what I had read or been advised when I was getting my application ready.

Anyway, I thought other potential applicants should be aware of this and be prepared to be received by some nasty immigration officials who seem to make up the rules as they go along!!!

Bank passbook and copies are always required - in addition to a letter of current account balance and for conversion proof of foreign source. And in Bangkok that has been same day letter since move to Chiang Watanna as most banks have branch offices one floor down. There is no requirement for the money to be in account more than on that day at this stage - only for the actual extension of stay. Have seen reports of come back in two weeks lately so this does seem to be an new standard procedure for the conversion/visa issue process and seems to justify the need to apply 15 days before current permitted stay stamp expires. Only one copy of anything is required at Chiang Watanna. I suspect you will get the visa stamp when you return without any problems.

After getting some advice on this forum re converting from tourist to retirement visa ...

Anyway, I thought other potential applicants should be aware of this and be prepared to be received by some nasty immigration officials who seem to make up the rules as they go along!!!

You're not converting to a retirement visa, so I doubt you got advice about doing that on this forum. You may eventually get an extension of stay based on retirement after doing a conversion to a Non Imm O visa, but no retirement visa.

Do you really think after reading some things on Thai Visa you could possibly be in a position to decide that an Immigrations officer is making up rules? She has the discretion to ask for any information she feels is required. She's doing her job and if you act as though you think you know more than she does or that she is being nasty by asking you for more information, your attitude is probably obvious and just invites the extra scrutiny.

And you still have another application process to go through in order to obtain the extension of stay ... as well as new applications each subsequent year that you stay in Thailand using extensions based on retirement. So you may as well accept that it's Immigrations that decides what you need and what questions will be asked. Most people who have everything in order seem to sail through with no problem at all.

As Lopburi says, you'll probably get the visa stamp in two weeks. I hope you understand exactly what it is you'll be getting and what you're going to have to do next in order to get the extension based on retirement. I get the impression you think you're getting a retirement visa in two weeks. If so, there are further surprises in store for you.

• Like 1

After getting some advice on this forum re converting from tourist to retirement visa ...

You're not converting to a retirement visa, so I doubt you got advice about doing that on this forum. You may eventually get an extension of stay based on retirement after doing a conversion to a Non Imm O visa, but no retirement visa.

Do you really think after reading some things on Thai Visa you could possibly be in a position to decide that an Immigrations officer is making up rules? She has the discretion to ask for any information she feels is required. She's doing her job and if you act as though you think you know more than she does or that she is being nasty by asking you for more information, your attitude is probably obvious and just invites the extra scrutiny.

And you still have another application process to go through in order to obtain the extension of stay ... as well as new applications each subsequent year that you stay in Thailand using extensions based on retirement. So you may as well accept that it's Immigrations that decides what you need and what questions will be asked. Most people who have everything in order seem to sail through with no problem at all.

As Lopburi says, you'll probably get the visa stamp in two weeks. I hope you understand exactly what it is you'll be getting and what you're going to have to do next in order to get the extension based on retirement. I get the impression you think you're getting a retirement visa in two weeks. If so, there are further surprises in store for you.

You have misread and misinterpreted my post in so many ways, I will not bother to take up each point. For starters, you know nothing about me to assume I had an 'attitude'. So a little thought goes a long way. I am fully aware of the fact that I am converting to a non-Immig O as advised on this forums and as I researched the issue myself first before checking with the forum visa advisors. I also know I have the next stage to get the extension based on retirement. But thanks anyway for confirming!

• Like 1

Your experience is quite normal,it just depends on which official you have to deal with.I have extended my visa 3 times,all done within 30 mins. on the 4th occasion my interview was done with a different person than before.I had to jump through hoops for this guy,asked for papers that are not required for retirement extension,I was told quote "sir i am showing my authority,you must give me any papers i ask for".To me that said it all