Fact About Thailand

pokoal2000

Did you know that Thai person could be send to jail(home) for rest of his or hers life if a Social Worker decide that you are not quite normal( what ever that means)?They don't need court order or psychiatry examination, only person who can get you out is your mother.If she can't be find, tough luck.Quite frightening , no?( if interested read my story .Beggars in the forum)

Alex

Similar powers exist in the UK. A judge, a doctor and social worker can sign your liberty away for your own good.

Until relatively recently women were more likely to suffer miss use of this: There are women who have spent their whole lives in psychiatric hospitals for nothing more than having been found out having sex when they were teenages or getting pregnant outside of marriage.

Did you know that Thai person could be send to jail(home) for rest of his or hers life if a Social Worker decide that you are not quite normal( what ever that means)?They don't need court order or psychiatry examination, only person who can get you out is your mother.If she can't be find, tough luck.Quite frightening , no?( if interested read my story .Beggars in the forum)

Alex

Pokal

I appreciate your concern on these issues!

To quote the Wizard of Oz, "You aren't in Kansas anymore toto". Welcome to Thailand.......

I just recently returned to LOS after spending 4 years in Afghanistan. Now, this is a country which incourages incest (USA Definition) in marriage.

This is a country which will stone a 15 year old girl for leaving an 85 year old husband (Family arranged marriage to an Uncle).

This is a country which has a mandatory death penalty for converting from Islam or just disavowing Islam.

Now, I hear your pleas, but what do you think anybody on TV can do about the situation here in Thailand? NOTHING..........

Yes, Many of us have been aware of these situations for years, but as Foreign Nationals, all you can do is sit back and watch.

Remember, YOU are a guest in this country. Do not expect things to change because you create an issue. The changes will only happen when the Thai people recognize the travesty of justice.

In other words Pokal, you are singing to the wrong choir.

Similar powers exist in the UK. A judge, a doctor and social worker can sign your liberty away for your own good.

Until relatively recently women were more likely to suffer miss use of this: There are women who have spent their whole lives in psychiatric hospitals for nothing more than having been found out having sex when they were teenages or getting pregnant outside of marriage.

Magdalene Laundries seems to come to mind when you mention this. :o

Alex

Pokal

I appreciate your concern on these issues!

To quote the Wizard of Oz, "You aren't in Kansas anymore toto". Welcome to Thailand.......

I just recently returned to LOS after spending 4 years in Afghanistan. Now, this is a country which incourages incest (USA Definition) in marriage.

This is a country which will stone a 15 year old girl for leaving an 85 year old husband (Family arranged marriage to an Uncle).

This is a country which has a mandatory death penalty for converting from Islam or just disavowing Islam.

Now, I hear your pleas, but what do you think anybody on TV can do about the situation here in Thailand? NOTHING..........

Yes, Many of us have been aware of these situations for years, but as Foreign Nationals, all you can do is sit back and watch.

Remember, YOU are a guest in this country. Do not expect things to change because you create an issue. The changes will only happen when the Thai people recognize the travesty of justice.

In other words Pokal, you are singing to the wrong choir.

I can see you point and I understand, but it made me angry and I had nobody to tell