Hat Yao beach, Nam Sai beach - open to foreigners?

henrik2000

Hello, in Satthahip district I would like to go to Hat Yao beach and Nam Sai beach. I would also be interested in the built-up area with many piers just south of Hat Nam Sai (all beaches army controlled, but at least partly open for a fee). 

These beaches are about 40 km south from Pattaya and just a little bit south from the more well known beaches Nang Ram and Nang Rong. 

Nang Ram on map:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/yv9tBcq71DLPdsdT6

Nam Sai on map:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/R2sWxuxtU7389jds6

But while foreigners review Nam Sai on Google Maps, soldiers on the ground told me foreigners cannot go there:

- This happened at the checkpoint on road 3126 leading to Nang Ram beach from the North, where the road to Nam Sai beach forks off - no passage for me (on bicycle). 

- At Nang Rong Beach, there is a back road into Nam Sai. At the main parking lot of Nang Rong beach I asked a soldier if I could cycle to Nam Sai, and he declined.

But is it possible to enter these beaches from the south? Is a passport asked there?

If Hat Yao and Nam Sai beaches are open to foreigners somehow, I would like to know your mode of transport to go there from Jomtien:

- In theory I could go by bicycle (distance no problem, but roads from Jomtien leading there not agreeable), 

- songthaeow (how? reasonable?)

- taxi app (Bolt, Grab 1way 410, 440 Baht, not sure if any driver in Jomtien would pick up the offer). 

- I'm quite against a rental car even if that would be cheaper than the taxi app.

I would go on a weekday Monday to Friday. 

Thanks for your real life experience!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, henrik2000 said:

soldiers on the ground told me foreigners cannot go there:

- This happened at the checkpoint on road 3126 leading to Nang Ram beach from the North, where the road to Nam Sai beach forks off - no passage for me (on bicycle). 

- At Nang Rong Beach, there is a back road into Nam Sai. At the main parking lot of Nang Rong beach I asked a soldier if I could cycle to Nam Sai, and he declined.

Sounds like a NO GO...

image.png.08ed5c37e514de7c073b284748a4d5e3.png

In these situations you have to play it Thai, get to the beach without being noticed + pretend to be stupid if you would then still be approached on the actual beach (unlikely). Many times when you ask Thais something you will get the official official answer, while if you not ask, they not want to bother you too, and things can be allowed that are otherwise not.

Makes zero sense in the first place for a foreigner not be allowed on a beach, at worst double pricing. Maybe the soldiers just not understand a word of what you even told them and they would think you want to go to their bases or something. No is the easiest answer. There is even a resort there you can book.

If you ask a random Thai for directions in English they also answer with 'No' or 'Yes' even that answer is not a option on your question lol.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

It's been a while since I visited Nam Sai beach (over a  year ago), but I used to get in there no problem (private car with Thai wife and my sons), maybe a new policy change?

Edited by bbko
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, bbko said:

used to get in there no problem (private car with Thai wife and my sons), maybe a new policy change?

Thanks, i assume you came from the north on road 3126, that also leads to Curve beach and Nang Ram beach?

About 2 km before those beaches there is a turn off to the left, signposted to Nam Sai beach as if anybody was invited. The turnoff yesterday had a huge, dark checkpoint built like some kind of A-Frame house over the road. There I was sent back.

Or maybe you came from the south, which looks more complicated.

26 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

In these situations you have to play it Thai, get to the beach without being noticed + pretend to be stupid if you would then still be approached on the actual beach (unlikely).

I second that and had the same experience several times. One example not completely off topic:

On Ao Manao military beach near Prachuap Khiri Khan town (I do go places), where anybody may dwell in daylight hours, an overseer told me I was not allowed to park my bicycle under the trees in the sandy Beach area. The bicycle should be on an out of sight parking lot.

We discussed back and forth for a nervous 5 minutes. Suddenly he told me to lay my bicycle flat on the ground *behind* the tree and ran away.

In the case at hand, the checkpoint for Nam Sai, the soldier was adamant, there was no way of naively sneaking in and I was not energetic enough to talk more into him (also there were other nice beaches nearby that were open to me).

When I asked again later at the Nang Rong parking lot and the soldier said no again, I just didn't want to risk to cycle in the midday heat into the bush and then being sent away after I sweated it already.

I do speak basic Thai and can say things like "Hat Nam Sai pai dai mai khrap?"

1 hour ago, champers said:

Hat Yao is a shooting range according to Google maps.

It's also a beach and a roundabout.

Screenshot_20240204-113133.png.32608b1b87e7e5925a13cb4dc3f919ed.png

Also tourism texts mention it. Hopefully the shooting range is not audible from the beach.

Actually now I saw another review on G Maps for Nam Sai where a foreigner complained he wasn't allowed in even though he had had residency and paid local taxes for 6 years. Then again, other seemingly foreigners do review the place, just 2 months ago.

Edited by henrik2000

We had no problem getting a Bolt both ways when we went to the next fishing village beyond. I had thought we would have trouble getting one back indeed our hotel quoted us 1200 to go back to Jomtien so was delighted when we got one in 5 minutes who had just finished a drop off in Sattahip.

• Like 1

Screenshot_2024-02-05-07-08-11-627_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.1bb840abe4a052aa976995128e1e77a6.jpgI really appreciate your endeavors here. Also there are a lot of islands off Sattahip would require a private charter. You don't have to go thousands of kilometers from Pattaya for nice islands. I have done some inquiries by phone with Thai girl doing the talking. As well as a visit to Bang Sarey . But just not quite enough.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2024 at 11:26 AM, henrik2000 said:

Thanks, noted.

Good if you speak Russian there. I remember non Thais ( if not accompanied by a Thai) have to park their vehicles at a checkpoint and then take a truck with a group of Russians after paying fee. It's a cool little winding road with monkeys. Beach is smaller than Nang Rum so you feel the presence of the people ( 90 % Russian ) more. 
Easy to find the restaurants right there for food and drink. That's for Sai Khao

Every time I've tried to go to these military beaches they have refused entry.

One time I almost "sneaked" in when a Thai was driving and had to leave their ID card at the  carpark checkpoint  I stayed in the truck but as we went through the barrier  a sharp eyed soldier noticed my

( not so) big "furang" nose and light skin and said no foreigners  and indeed there was a sign on the road side stating no foreigners  I've got a photo somewhere will try to post it as soon as found.

I also think there are some days they will allow the foreigners in but they won't tell you what days they are...just have to turn up and see what they say on the day...well no thanks I'll go somewhere else.

Same kinda thing happens if you try to board the "aircraft carrier"  at dock in Sattahip....no foreigners  however anyone looking "Asian"  is let on board with not much problem. 

• Like 1

On 2/4/2024 at 1:09 PM, beautifulthailand99 said:

We had no problem getting a Bolt both ways when we went to the next fishing village beyond.

I just ordered a Bolt from Jomtien to Nam Rang Beach for 397. The driver confirmed, then messaged:

"Very far, request 800."

I declined, he cancelled.

Got another car within 2 minutes and asked driver through car window again if 397 was ok.

"Yes yes."

Screenshot_20240210-063122.png