30,000 red-shirts coming to Bangkok

webfact

Not approriate. Even in your country, you have no right to comment on politcs if you do not vote.

And...especially in any foreign country - YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO COMMENT AND IT IS COMPLETELY INAPPRORIATE.

When you thing that the politics is any better in your country or any of the other things you may think are better in your country - then go back to your country.

We like it here because it is not our home country - for all the reasons we compliment and don't complain about.

we only have three choices in life:

1. accept it

2, deny it

3. change it - and this one ain't up to you in Thia politics.

Please remember you are only a guest in this country. Even in my home if the guests complain too much I will show them the door.

Thank you for the advice and warning.

Since Thailand is purported to be a democracy, I believe there still exists a quaint custom called "freedom of speech", (at least for the moment) .

Just because I do not vote there is no reason I can't discuss politics with my wife, friends both Thai & farang and TVF members. The whole of TVF is devoted to discussion and invariably the discussion will turn to subjects we have no control over but can comment on.

People can criticize the police, immigration, transportation and the government etc. Criticism can be constructive and useful. Sometimes it gets very negative.

BTW you aren't the first of many 'newbies' to say "If you don't like it here go back to where you came from".

I love it here and will continue to praise and criticize where due.

Praising and criticizing is not the problem but when you have foreigners right in there protesting with some of the Thais and throwing insults around on Thai visa then it gets a little stupid don't ya think?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The wife is watching the protests a lot. I will occasional watch a little bit, they do get some interesting entertainment on there. Once there was a kid no more than twelve he reminded me of a young Michel Jackson. I have yet to see a foreigner in the crowd.

As for the insults being thrown around. Well some of them are thrown at people who try to insult are intelligence with foreigners being in amongst the protestors.

Sent from my ailing desk top using my key board.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think this is great, we have the whole country protesting at one place or another, ramp up the pressure on Yingluck, her mob precipitated this mess, see how she deals with it - hope her Skype connection is reliable.

I disagree I hope her skype connection fails. Be interesting if not down right comical to see her try to run the country on her own. She couldn't do much worse than Thaksin is doing and maybe have beginners luck and do a few things rite.

Wondering why big sister is being so quiet. Normally would not give it a second thought but with the last name Shinawatra I am suspicious. Even Thaksins kid is being more vocal than her.

Presuming farmers are part of "all Thai people"

March 14, 2011

Thaksin told his supporters, We must give the Pheu Thai Party a land slide victory in the next election so I can return to Thailand to solve the economic problems. I promise that I will make all Thai people rich within six months.

http://2bangkok.com/thaksin-a-continuing-menace.html

Sorry, I clicked through on that link and I don't see where that supposed quote comes from. When I click on the title to of the article, I get an error page.

That said, I think you need to be more selective about your sources. The site you linked to certainly doesn't seem like an objective or worthy news source; in fact, it comes across as rabidly anti-Thaksin (even having a report claiming that Thaksin has Cambodian citizenship, which I place in the same category as the anti-Obama "birther" movement in the US).

No original news sources otherwise.

The source I linked to is 2Bangkok, which is none of what you ascribe to it.

It was translated from an original source, which, again, is none of what you ascribe to it, either, and is contained right in the thread that was linked earlier.

As per the earlier link regarding the forum thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/682481-30000-red-shirts-coming-to-bangkok/page-7#entry7054117

Naewna Newspaper, Page 5, March 14, 2011

Attempt to discredit source: FAIL

First, please look at the 'related topics' following the one in the link you initially gave... do you see a pattern? That site is about as 'fair and balanced' as Fox News. Anyway, this is just a minor point.

More importantly, please check this search: https://www.google.com/search?q=%22#q=%22I+will+make+all+Thai+people+rich+within+six+months%22 . You will see only 4-5 hits come up with that supposed quote "I will make all Thai people rich within six months"... all farang-oriented forums (basically this one and <URL Automatically Removed>). I am naturally curious as to why the Bangkok Post or the Nation, etc, etc., would not have reported on this.

Now, I am unable to locate the original Thai language version of the report because the ThaiVisa link you gave only cited the source and publication date (Naewna, March 14 2011). The English translation of the Naewna piece (if that is indeed accurate) was provided by the "Thai ASEAN News network", and again I cannot navigate to the original (translated) piece [and it does not come up in the Google search].

As much as you or anyone despises Thaksin, do you really believe any politician would claim that he could make all citizens "rich" within six months?? You may think that Thaksin is slimy and corrupt and self-serving etc etc, but he's not that stupid...

Sorry I have not followed all your links that you can't follow and I don't care to. But yeas I believe Thaksin is stupid enough to say give him 6 months and he will make them all rich.

the man has no morals or honor and would say any thing to get in to power and stay there. He is desperate to set himself up as a dictator. Or perhaps in his ego driven mind an emperor.

edit

dam spell checker failed me. Lucky it was so bad even I could spot it.

Edited by hellodolly

March 14, 2011

Thaksin told his supporters, We must give the Pheu Thai Party a land slide victory in the next election so I can return to Thailand to solve the economic problems. I promise that I will make all Thai people rich within six months.

Sorry, I clicked through on that link and I don't see where that supposed quote comes from. When I click on the title to of the article, I get an error page.

That said, I think you need to be more selective about your sources. The site you linked to certainly doesn't seem like an objective or worthy news source; in fact, it comes across as rabidly anti-Thaksin (even having a report claiming that Thaksin has Cambodian citizenship, which I place in the same category as the anti-Obama "birther" movement in the US).

It was translated from an original source, which, again, is none of what you ascribe to it, either, and is contained right in the thread that was linked earlier.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/682481-30000-red-shirts-coming-to-bangkok/page-7#entry7054117

First, please look at the 'related topics' following the one in the link you initially gave... do you see a pattern? That site is about as 'fair and balanced' as Fox News. Anyway, this is just a minor point.

More importantly, please check this search: https://www.google.com/search?q=%22#q=%22I+will+make+all+Thai+people+rich+within+six+months%22 . You will see only 4-5 hits come up with that supposed quote "I will make all Thai people rich within six months"... all farang-oriented forums (basically this one and <URL Automatically Removed>). I am naturally curious as to why the Bangkok Post or the Nation, etc, etc., would not have reported on this.

Now, I am unable to locate the original Thai language version of the report because the ThaiVisa link you gave only cited the source and publication date (Naewna, March 14 2011). The English translation of the Naewna piece (if that is indeed accurate) was provided by the "Thai ASEAN News network", and again I cannot navigate to the original (translated) piece [and it does not come up in the Google search].

As much as you or anyone despises Thaksin, do you really believe any politician would claim that he could make all citizens "rich" within six months?? You may think that Thaksin is slimy and corrupt and self-serving etc etc, but he's not that stupid...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/451374-thaksin-a-continuing-menace/

Note --- it was published in English via TAN ...Taken from Guan Nam Hai Sai Column, Naewna Newspaper, Page 5, March 14, 2011

Translated and Rewritten by Kongkrai Maksrivorawan

Please note that the views expressed in our "Analysis" segment are translated from local newspaper articles and do not reflect the views of the Thai-ASEAN News Network.

Mods .. please forgive the font change as this was cut and pasted from the TVF link provided.

Not approriate. Even in your country, you have no right to comment on politcs if you do not vote.

And...especially in any foreign country - YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO COMMENT AND IT IS COMPLETELY INAPPRORIATE.

When you thing that the politics is any better in your country or any of the other things you may think are better in your country - then go back to your country.

We like it here because it is not our home country - for all the reasons we compliment and don't complain about.

we only have three choices in life:

1. accept it

2, deny it

3. change it - and this one ain't up to you in Thia politics.

Please remember you are only a guest in this country. Even in my home if the guests complain too much I will show them the door.

Ijustwant....

In what type of democracy are you from that curtails your right to both have an opinion and to express it if you choose not to vote? not voting in and of itself is often an expression of dissatisfaction with the available options just as often as it is apathy.

In what world do you live, where you are not entitled to an opinion about the things that affect your daily life even if you are not entitled to vote?

in your three part statement of choices 1, and 2. are arguably correct however, 3. is blatantly wrong. I know for a fact that discussions I have had with friends have helped them clarify their thinking about political subjects.

Many of us who have resided in thailand and invested in Thailand for many years are not simply "guests." We are on many different levels. stakeholders in the future here.

Do I vote in Thailand? Not yet. Do I have a stake in Thailand's future. Yes. Has my presence here and expressing myself made a difference? Yes, albeit a small one.

March 14, 2011

More importantly, please check this search: https://www.google.com/search?q="#q="I+will+make+all+Thai+people+rich+within+six+months" . You will see only 4-5 hits come up with that supposed quote "I will make all Thai people rich within six months"... all farang-oriented forums (basically this one and <URL Automatically Removed>). I am naturally curious as to why the Bangkok Post or the Nation, etc, etc., would not have reported on this.

As said, the link I provided was to 2Bangkok. Are you not familiar with that blogger? All the related topics you refer to are compiled from other sources, eg. for the 5 other related topics, there are 3 other sources used.

As for your google suggestion, I would suggest some refinement in your utilization of search engines. Putting such specific words in a search are likely to produce very limited results that don't necessarily reflect the whole picture.

Another suggestion would be for you to conduct your searches in Thai.

Irregardless, the previous thread that contained the full article and was obtained from a Thai newspaper. That your google search didn't produce a similar article in English language press is no surprise. There are literally dozens of articles that appear in Thai media on a daily basis that don't appear in the English language press.

That he said what he is reported to have said in Naew Na newspaper remains uncontested:

I promise that I will make all Thai people rich within six months.

If you wish to dispute he said that, you'll need to come up with something with more basis than the dismantling that occurred with your confusion above.

As for Thaksin uttering stupid comments, there's loads of other examples, such as his infamous claim of eliminating all drugs throughout the entire country:

"The government is pleased to announce that the country is now a drug-free area and will proclaim victory in its war on drugs," said Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/Thaksin-declares-the-country-drug-free-area-77076.html

Edited by Henn

Thida told the red shirts to be restrained and not use violence before hearing the court's ruling.

But after the court's ruling all bets are off.

Looks like a repeat plan of 2010: reds provoke violence, then play martyr. Gov't says they'll have to crackdown thus keeping Phuea Thai in, allowing Thaksin a glimmer of hope to return, saying he can manage it given the chance for reconciliation. Hope the army and real democrats, general public don't tolerate BS from these thugs.

Met Abhisit and got to chat with him last night at Siam Kapinski for news channel asia's interview with him- that man is the only qualified, rational and caring leader this country has to offer at this time or up to now. Hope he gets to return one day without red con artists using corruption and dishonesty as a ploy to shut down democracy and let a crony style oligarchy continue to eat away at this place.

I find it strange that nobody asked you what you and he talked about , so I will, or was it a private conversation?

I wonder who's paying for this...... whistling.gif

Why? and 20 likes, WHY?

26 now. I can only presume it's because it's perceived to be an anti-red post - I'm glad you asked the question.

Edited by fab4

I wonder who's paying for this...... whistling.gif

It would be fair to ask who is paying for the anti government rally? They sure are not sitting there spending their own money. Sorry i forgot its ok for the other side to be financed by faceless people with an agenda to send Thailand back into the dark ages

Yes it is a fair question.

but what yiou are trying to do is evade reality.

the anti government started with out a sponsor it just arose out of people able to add 2 +2 and get 4 for an answer. It got so big that it did need backers. that is who ever they are stepped in.

the red shirts on the other hand had a backer with no people so he hired an organizer to raise up the red shirts who would have stayed home with out him being clueless why bother demonstrating. But the chance for a all expenses paid trip to Bangkok and getting paid to do it well they just grabbed on to that idea.

So we have on one side indignant citizens deciding on their own enough is enough and on the other side people who are clueless about what is going on but are getting paid to protest.cheesy.gif

Agreed.

There have been many small groups protesting across Bangkok for months. All independent. I remember that many politicians and posters here on TV were laughing and said that they were to small and not organized good enough to be a threat to the established government. This is real democracy at work.

What Thaksin is doing is completely different. He rents a stadium, organizes a few hundred buses (transporting people from the north), and pay people 2000thb to join. All done with a few days. Democracy Thaksin style.

Nickymaster. It would be great if he/they did indeed RENT the stadium rather than just have it allocated for use, Would love to see the invoice for that one.

fab 4 post # 192

The biggest casualty will be the truth.

That is so true,

Thaksin will politically bleed to death along with his family and their brown nosing acolytes.

• Like 1

30,000 red shirts. How about the yellow shirts?

there will be another catastrophe if 2 groups clash. Who might have bigger number of casualties?

Which truth? The RED truth. The BLUE truth OR the real truth, The last one unlikely ever to be discovered!

Sent from my phone with the app thingy.

there will be another catastrophe if 2 groups clash. Who might have bigger number of casualties?

Which truth? The RED truth. The BLUE truth OR the real truth, The last one unlikely ever to be discovered!

Unfortunately the real truth will not be heard by most, it may not be dead, but is is buried underneath something that doesn't smell that good..

Edited by Thaddeus

If it is the "Truth according to Fabby" ... then you are likely correct.

Again, I have no problem with protests and rallies. Just check these folks for weapons and bar them from the area surrounding the Constitutional Court.

"Whereas the red-shirts are happy with their shirt and having all (rice) farmers rich by now, curtsy of the middleclass taxpayers."

Seriously?? Rich rice farmers??? Have you ever been near a rice farm or seen how a typical rice farmer lives? And no, you probably can't see them from your nice condo balcony...

My excuses, I must have fallen for the Pheu Thai led government propaganda which has seen 660 billion Baht spent in two years on helping poor rice farmers and being very successful in it.

PS in the middle of Bangkok on the second floor I can indeed not see too much from my small balcony.

• Like 1

Thida told the red shirts to be restrained and not use violence before hearing the court's ruling.

But after the court's ruling all bets are off.

Looks like a repeat plan of 2010: reds provoke violence, then play martyr. Gov't says they'll have to crackdown thus keeping Phuea Thai in, allowing Thaksin a glimmer of hope to return, saying he can manage it given the chance for reconciliation. Hope the army and real democrats, general public don't tolerate BS from these thugs.

Met Abhisit and got to chat with him last night at Siam Kapinski for news channel asia's interview with him- that man is the only qualified, rational and caring leader this country has to offer at this time or up to now. Hope he gets to return one day without red con artists using corruption and dishonesty as a ploy to shut down democracy and let a crony style oligarchy continue to eat away at this place.

I find it strange that nobody asked you what you and he talked about , so I will, or was it a private conversation?

I don't find it strange that you still have a problem reading and understanding, or are you simply back into baiting mode?

• Like 1

fab 4 post # 192

That is so true,

Thaksin will politically bleed to death along with his family and their brown nosing acolytes.

Whatever coffee1.gif

That reply pretty much sums up all you have. thumbsup.gif

How would you answer the 600th repetition of Thaksin and his brown nosed acolytes. Don't bother I've seen how you answer, not worth my time.

That is so true,

Whatever coffee1.gif

That reply pretty much sums up all you have. thumbsup.gif

How would you answer the 600th repetition of Thaksin and his brown nosed acolytes. Don't bother I've seen how you answer, not worth my time.

Don't get frustrated Fab4, you answer it the same way we answer the hundreds of, "what about Abihist" posts.

• Like 1

"Whereas the red-shirts are happy with their shirt and having all (rice) farmers rich by now, curtsy of the middleclass taxpayers."

Seriously?? Rich rice farmers??? Have you ever been near a rice farm or seen how a typical rice farmer lives? And no, you probably can't see them from your nice condo balcony...

My excuses, I must have fallen for the Pheu Thai led government propaganda which has seen 660 billion Baht spent in two years on helping poor rice farmers and being very successful in it.

PS in the middle of Bangkok on the second floor I can indeed not see too much from my small balcony.

I don't see too many Thais having both the cash and the appetite to invest in this scheme

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

30,000 just popping down to BKK for a wee chat and all playing nicely. Aye, that sounds about right......

Yep.. I know of some Moms who are coming for a bus ride, some excitment, and to get the 2000 baht gift.

I have to keep repeating that the current government was DEMOCRATICALLY ELECTED People may not like their policies but that's one of the consequences of living in a democracy
I don't like many of the policies of the current coalition government in UK but it is up to the opposition parties and the strength of public opinion to make the coalition change or modify their ppolicies.
They have a right to govern in the same way that PheuThai have a right to govern. Allowed that right and without rabble rousers like Suthep trying to oust the democratically elected government there would be no need for supporters of the government to rally to their support
I continue to be disappointed that so many posters whose home countries respect democracy somehow feel that Thailand is somehow different. Let the government be judged by it's actions during it's term in office and then, if it falls horribly short, elect a different government at the end of their electoral term
The current government in UK , with an election around the corner, is already trying to 'buy votes' by introducing 'populist policies' it's the way of the World

Keep repeating as much as you like - doesn't make things any different. Being democratically elected (even ignoring the not-so-democratic methodologies employed to see that happen) does not give a party carte blanche power. When it becomes impossible for the opposition to stop dubious laws, and the ability of the lower house to do so is withered and side tracked (the 50%+1 rule) then there is little the public can do except take to the streets. That is part of democracy, keep repeating that to yourself - in a democracy people have the right to protest. It is only in this way that corrupt governments do not end up as dictatorships. Comparing Thailand to the UK is far from a like-for-like comparison - there is no free press here, liable laws and their free/frivolous over use close down education and public debate, lies are continuous, there is no recourse on being bad (they even have criminals - and murder suspects - in the houses - and criminal charges have to be left until the end of session) - there is no comparison at all as there is no integrity, no effective oversight, no legitimate challenging press coverage, no independence of judiciary, police or military, and so on.
Under a parliamentary democracy, as long as they hold a majority, yes basically it does give them carte Blanche.

Think back to the Poll Tax riots under Maggie. Conservatives had a landslide majority and had such power - yet the people came out in protest and the government backed down. This is part of democracy - it isn't all about the houses and votes, it is also about the voters / public. Even with total control of both upper and lower houses, the people still have a say (plus of course the Queens last veto (actually the inverse, Royal Assent, which can be withheld) - which was last used in 11th March 1708 by Queen Anne on The Scottish Militia Bill - but is still part of the process in every act and law)

BTW: This is an argument for peerage / restricted appointment (i.e. each successive government can only appoint a given number of life time appointees) lower house. When both are fully voted, and the same / directly aligned parties exists, then it stands to reason that it becomes more of a larger single house than two separate chambers - just with extra readings - on party line votes, there is no stopper. Or, as in the recent USA debacle, when the lower house is opposition controlled, they can hold the upper house to ransom.

Edited by wolf5370
  • Like 1