30,000 red-shirts coming to Bangkok

webfact

If you want to 'observe' the ruling then sit your ass down at home in Isan and watch it on tv. Only reason to come here is to try and intimidate the court, let's hope it doesn't work. The court should be surrounded by 50 metre widths of razor wire and hundreds of police to keep them away, same as government house. Come on PM, show us how unbiased you are.....?

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whereas the red-shirts are happy with their shirt and having all (rice) farmers rich by now, curtsy of the middleclass taxpayers.

PS massive bias in education and health? Wasn't this government busy working on that by 'optimising / merging' upcountry schools and of course the re-introduction of 30 Baht for a health system still not financially supported sufficiently?

Anyway 30,000 red-shirts to the rescue, all knowing it's about the red shirt, the being for against blanket amnesty including Abhisit/Suthep and the request for Thaksin returning to serve (his time). Somehow democracy doesn't seem to play in thatermm.gif

"Whereas the red-shirts are happy with their shirt and having all (rice) farmers rich by now, curtsy of the middleclass taxpayers."

Seriously?? Rich rice farmers??? Have you ever been near a rice farm or seen how a typical rice farmer lives? And no, you probably can't see them from your nice condo balcony...

So Docno, You are saying that the Billions of baht that has been spent By the Thaksin clan for votes has been for naught. That the farmers aren't all rich now as Thaksin promised!

And i think the leaders of this government are certainly not living in a condo, Nice or otherwise. But the house is probably as big as an apartment block.

Also . what's a typical rice farmer?

Before I respond further, could you please look up in a dictionary the meaning of the word, "rich". Also, please cite the specific occasion in which Thaksin promised the rice farmers they would become "rich" (again, based on the dictionary definition of that term).

And no, I don't believe that most rice farmers have living conditions or assets that would qualify them as being "rich".

Well having done what you suggested i went with number 5.

1. 5.
    interesting because full of variety.
    "what a full, rich life you lead!"

Ok did what you asked.. now What's a typical rice farmer?

Oh muy apologies i just noticed you asked me a question.. No time to answer, I'm off to bed. working tomorro.

but i'm sure if you google around you will find it.

Edited by thaicbr

I wonder who's paying for this...... whistling.gif

That was my first question!

No doubt in my mind..only one sneaky snake would rent such a mob...

That is an insult to snakes, sneaky or not. Couldn't you have chosen something far worse, a cockroach or some type of parasite?

Now let me guess.

I can only think, that you are all talking about Khun S the man from the south . clap2.gif

Edited by oldsailor35
  • Like 1

Most of the people at red rallies in BKK either come from Bangkok or from surrounding industrial provinces. Sure a few bus loads of farmers are brought in, just as Suthep buses in a bunches of southerner farmers.

you must have lost you reading glasses. in the OP that you are replying in is this:

"The group plans to mobilise 30,000 red-shirts. Leaders in 20 Northeastern provinces are told to prepare buses for the supporters, Anuwat said."

By my reckoning at the legal 40 persons per bus...ummm 750 buses...... a few buses...please!

Neither do I see anywhere that Suthep has been "bussing in" anyone.

Seems like anyone from outside the city has got there on their own and paid their own way without any busses having to be organized or paid for by Suthep.

If you have proof that he has organized busses please post it.

But proof from his own mouth that he organises food, drinks and comforts for his rabble !

• Like 1

That is an insult to snakes, sneaky or not. Couldn't you have chosen something far worse, a cockroach or some type of parasite?

Now let me guess.

I can only think, that you are all talking about Khun S the man from the south . clap2.gif

Oh my goodness i really didn't know that you could read and write English to such a high standard.. I have to say well done Mr Chalerm Yubanrung.

because it surely has to be you, using initials like you are " Khun S the man from the south "

I trust your sons are well STAYING out of prison and that sought of thing!

"Whereas the red-shirts are happy with their shirt and having all (rice) farmers rich by now, curtsy of the middleclass taxpayers."

Seriously?? Rich rice farmers??? Have you ever been near a rice farm or seen how a typical rice farmer lives? And no, you probably can't see them from your nice condo balcony...

So Docno, You are saying that the Billions of baht that has been spent By the Thaksin clan for votes has been for naught. That the farmers aren't all rich now as Thaksin promised!

And i think the leaders of this government are certainly not living in a condo, Nice or otherwise. But the house is probably as big as an apartment block.

Also . what's a typical rice farmer?

Before I respond further, could you please look up in a dictionary the meaning of the word, "rich". Also, please cite the specific occasion in which Thaksin promised the rice farmers they would become "rich" (again, based on the dictionary definition of that term).

And no, I don't believe that most rice farmers have living conditions or assets that would qualify them as being "rich".

Well having done what you suggested i went with number 5.

1. 5.
    interesting because full of variety.
    "what a full, rich life you lead!"

Ok did what you asked.. now What's a typical rice farmer?

Oh muy apologies i just noticed you asked me a question.. No time to answer, I'm off to bed. working tomorro.

but i'm sure if you google around you will find it.

Lame attempt... so you would say, in a sentence, that "farmers are full of variety". Hmmm... Go back to your dictionary and look up what a personal adjective is... that is clearly how "rich" was being used in your and other posts.

Typical rice farmer? Well, the typical rice farmer is in pretty bad shape. For example, "As a group, farmers are increasingly indebted, last year owing on average 104,000 baht, or $3,350, the equivalent of about five years of their average income. The reasons are rising fertilizer prices and the legacy of crops lost to flooding, drought and other natural disasters." [New York Times, 2012]. Seems that economists are able to refer to farmers on average. What does that tell you? Oh yeah, and US$3,350 representing five years average (there's that word again) income? Certainly don't sound very rich.

Enjoy your dreams in your air-conned room... not many rice farmers have that luxury.

• Like 2

I have to keep repeating that the current government was DEMOCRATICALLY ELECTED People may not like their policies but that's one of the consequences of living in a democracy

I don't like many of the policies of the current coalition government in UK but it is up to the opposition parties and the strength of public opinion to make the coalition change or modify their ppolicies.

They have a right to govern in the same way that PheuThai have a right to govern. Allowed that right and without rabble rousers like Suthep trying to oust the democratically elected government there would be no need for supporters of the government to rally to their support

I continue to be disappointed that so many posters whose home countries respect democracy somehow feel that Thailand is somehow different. Let the government be judged by it's actions during it's term in office and then, if it falls horribly short, elect a different government at the end of their electoral term

The current government in UK , with an election around the corner, is already trying to 'buy votes' by introducing 'populist policies' it's the way of the World

Populist policies are part of every governments election policy. But not many democratically elected governments are subject to such rabble rowsers as the power hungry Suthep who openly calls for the overthrow of the government because its not his party which is in power.

Sensible intelligent oppositions around the world who do not normally carry on like school kids as they do in Thailand. Wait their turn at the polls after the term of government.

• Like 1

Most of the people at red rallies in BKK either come from Bangkok or from surrounding industrial provinces. Sure a few bus loads of farmers are brought in, just as Suthep buses in a bunches of southerner farmers.

you must have lost you reading glasses. in the OP that you are replying in is this:

"The group plans to mobilise 30,000 red-shirts. Leaders in 20 Northeastern provinces are told to prepare buses for the supporters, Anuwat said."

By my reckoning at the legal 40 persons per bus...ummm 750 buses...... a few buses...please!

Neither do I see anywhere that Suthep has been "bussing in" anyone.

Seems like anyone from outside the city has got there on their own and paid their own way without any busses having to be organized or paid for by Suthep.

If you have proof that he has organized busses please post it.

But proof from his own mouth that he organises food, drinks and comforts for his rabble !

You would be a bad host if you didn't... Don't you think.

surely you remember your soiree in Malaysia where you had to many ear medicine (wine bottles)

Lame attempt... so you would say, in a sentence, that "farmers are full of variety". Hmmm... Go back to your dictionary and look up what a personal adjective is... that is clearly how "rich" was being used in your and other posts.

Typical rice farmer? Well, the typical rice farmer is in pretty bad shape. For example, "As a group, farmers are increasingly indebted, last year owing on average 104,000 baht, or $3,350, the equivalent of about five years of their average income. The reasons are rising fertilizer prices and the legacy of crops lost to flooding, drought and other natural disasters." [New York Times, 2012]. Seems that economists are able to refer to farmers on average. What does that tell you? Oh yeah, and US$3,350 representing five years average (there's that word again) income? Certainly don't sound very rich.

Enjoy your dreams in your air-conned room... not many rice farmers have that luxury.

So the rice pledging has been a failure then as it hasn't increased farmers wealth..

And you would be surprised how many Thai farmers have at least one aircon. There are Thai rice farmers who earn a very decent profit and there are subsistence farmers with no land etc.. Who do not benefit AT all from rice pledging. They are indebted by poorly thought out plans and subsidy's, by easy village loan schemes and easy credit cards that are not explained properly, They are indebted because there's nobody helping them plan there meagre funds. THEY are indebted by the very landowning farmers who rent the land to them.

i'm not against the farmer. I'm against the busllshit waste of money that has NOT made their lives any better in fact with the decimation of the Thai rice export market. It may well have made it a lot worse in years to come.

Good night

• Like 1

In what way? I have not seen any evidence of the Dems camped outside the court or homes of the judges nor have they given out addresses.

They have repeatedly said that they want to give the constitution court the support to make the right decision. The reds have said that they are interested in the courts decision. Both meanings are the same and that is obvious to everyone: we want a decision favouring us and after Wassant's interview both sides know that decisions based on politics, and street demos and not law happen. In fact it is no surprise that both sides take to the streets after what Wassant said.

To understand the subtexts and how these things work PAD Sondhi statements before he was shot in the head are revealing along with lots of wikileaks too). The context is important and does anyone think the players are neutral (check polls on what the Thai people think of some of the courts, or just listen to Wassant on the perception of the court he used to head.

Can you explain to me why they are sending 30,000 people to stand around the court house and let it be known that they do not want the charges to be passed.

The anti government protestors are not going to surround intimidate they are willing to let the court do there job with out undo pressure. You have been gone to long. You missed it the last time the court did not give the judgement the red shirts wanted they posted the phone number of all the judges.

Would you like your phone number made known to all the anti government protesters?whistling.gifwhistling.gifclap2.gif

Can you explain why a few thousand people who hate Thaksin are offering the court the support to "do the right thing"? It is all the same, and it is because of what Wassant said in his interview on how the court decided on a dissolution case previously, and of course actually understanding the sub texts and power games going on.

I guess you can't explain it.

A simple no would have done. Or

You could have said you were baffeled by it according to your understand of the sub texts and power games going on It confused you It just wouldent work in to the sub texts and power games going on as you understand them.whistling.gif

You would be a bad host if you didn't... Don't you think.

surely you remember your soiree in Malaysia where you had to many ear medicine (wine bottles)

<deleted> are you 'ratting on' about ?????

see post 125.. I thought it was mildly amusing.. sorry if you have no comprehension or sense of humour

THE reds far repeatedly stated that they have no intention in accepting the ruling of the CC if it is not in their favor. So why do they propose to rally around the CC simply to observe.

I also find it most interesting that there has bee no mention of putting the CC under the ISA act as was often threatened with The Dems rally's . Why do you think that could be ? Perhaps it is their reputation for the peaceful nature they have demonstrated in the past .

• Like 1

So the rice pledging has been a failure then as it hasn't increased farmers wealth..

And you would be surprised how many Thai farmers have at least one aircon. There are Thai rice farmers who earn a very decent profit and there are subsistence farmers with no land etc.. Who do not benefit AT all from rice pledging. They are indebted by poorly thought out plans and subsidy's, by easy village loan schemes and easy credit cards that are not explained properly, They are indebted because there's nobody helping them plan there meagre funds. THEY are indebted by the very landowning farmers who rent the land to them.

i'm not against the farmer. I'm against the busllshit waste of money that has NOT made their lives any better in fact with the decimation of the Thai rice export market. It may well have made it a lot worse in years to come.

Good night

Sorry, missing your logic. The post I replied to (and which you defended) asserted that rice farmers are "rich". That's plainly absurd, which I suspect you know because you keep trying to shift the discussion. How farmers' living conditions may have changed for the better or worse under various regimes here I don't know. I'm sure you can get the data if you wish. My only point was that it is ridiculous to refer to farmers as "rich". Now do you agree or not, or do you wish to shift the discussion again?

• Like 1

Yes, there's also a lot of talk of 'hidden hands' again on the social media and the like. But no one should worry about street protesters pressuring the court, the judges are apparently being well looked after:attachicon.gif2013-11-18.jpg

Beg to differ.

The judges should be worried. When was the last time a decision made against them where the red shirts said ah darn gee wilikers and just went home.

Not that I think this one will go against them any more than the PTP attempt to get the Dems dissolved.

I just realized they are spending all this money to supposedly watch some thing they can't see Yet not even 1 baht for their fellow in arms still in jail waiting for bail.

Not sure what the dictionary description of scum is but I think they fit into that category. I of course could be wrong but I don't think so.wai2.gif

I don't expect the red shirts to just go home. But I don't think the judges will be too worried about them either. If they were, they wouldn't have dissolved PPP in 2008 with red shirts massing outside the court. IIRC, they even tried to move the court to somewhere in the suburbs but the red shirts just followed them there. Didn't change the decision, nor was there any violence against the judges, despite the anger (if anything the rhetoric was far more heated then than now, with the PPP government on the racks and the PAD in the airport - and what, btw, was 'Operation Hiroshima' really about other than a bid to force the court's hand?). Anyway, as I say, there are 400 supposedly battle hardened ex-communists 'protecting' the court, you think the red shirts are getting past those guys?

Well you may be right physical they will be OK. But the very fact they are there is intimadating. That is their reason for going there.

How ever there telephone number and address will not be a secret. It will be made known to all red shirts if the court dosen't do as the red shirts want.

Personally I think they are wasting their time I don't believe the court would rule against their wishes. The charges were just more nonsense. This time by the Dems for a change.

Good night

Sorry, missing your logic. The post I replied to (and which you defended) asserted that rice farmers are "rich". That's plainly absurd, which I suspect you know because you keep trying to shift the discussion. How farmers' living conditions may have changed for the better or worse under various regimes here I don't know. I'm sure you can get the data if you wish. My only point was that it is ridiculous to refer to farmers as "rich". Now do you agree or not, or do you wish to shift the discussion again?

Some Land owning rice farmers are indeed rich they own a lot of land that they work and also rent out land for a percentage of the crop, Others are just well off and many more are poor and some are dirt poor. Pretty much the same as other professions.

And the discussion was about farmers so my comment were valid. There is no point saying that all thai farmers are poor as that is blatantly wrong. But it would be a good idea to actual discuss what this government are doing to help the poorest, Not a lot is the answer.

I have to keep repeating that the current government was DEMOCRATICALLY ELECTED People may not like their policies but that's one of the consequences of living in a democracy

I don't like many of the policies of the current coalition government in UK but it is up to the opposition parties and the strength of public opinion to make the coalition change or modify their ppolicies.

They have a right to govern in the same way that PheuThai have a right to govern. Allowed that right and without rabble rousers like Suthep trying to oust the democratically elected government there would be no need for supporters of the government to rally to their support

I continue to be disappointed that so many posters whose home countries respect democracy somehow feel that Thailand is somehow different. Let the government be judged by it's actions during it's term in office and then, if it falls horribly short, elect a different government at the end of their electoral term

The current government in UK , with an election around the corner, is already trying to 'buy votes' by introducing 'populist policies' it's the way of the World

Of the top of my head I can not name one democratic country. To be democratic you have to have the majority of the votes. Not 48% of them.

I could be wrong but I believe France narrows it down to two people and the one with the most votes wins. No favors to another party or as in the U S a Supreme Court to declare the one with the least votes the winner. Thailand is just one of many countries where the head man/women is not necessarily the choice of the majority. They all claim to be a democracy but fall short. I believe the States refer to them selves as a Republic not a democracy.

You as most red shirts do, fail to recegnize the fact that a lot of people thought they were getting Thaksin and a lot of people thought they were getting Yingluck. If the two had both had their name on the ballot separately we would see a different government. As is Yingluck owes her job to the fact people like you were confused and the Yellow Shirts refused to vote.

You are right she can stay in for the full 4 years and increase her wealth immensely before the next vote. I am more familiar with the States and Canada. Neither one would let a leader stay in office with her record of failures and corruption. Canada uses the same system as Thailand.

Some Land owning rice farmers are indeed rich they own a lot of land that they work and also rent out land for a percentage of the crop, Others are just well off and many more are poor and some are dirt poor. Pretty much the same as other professions.

And the discussion was about farmers so my comment were valid. There is no point saying that all thai farmers are poor as that is blatantly wrong. But it would be a good idea to actual discuss what this government are doing to help the poorest, Not a lot is the answer.

"There is no point saying that all thai farmers are poor as that is blatantly wrong."

Did I ever say that ALL Thai farmers are poor?? No. I simply said (and have repeated) that it's absurd to characterise them as "rich" as another poster did (whom you defended). In 2012, farmers were in debt on average to the equivalent of 5 years' income (which the NYT article said was US$3350 or $670 a year). Now, if it is indeed the case that Thai farmers, on average, make less than US$800 a year, I can't see how one can call them "rich" or, as you do, claim they are "pretty much the same as other professions". I highly doubt you will come across any "dirt poor" Thai doctors, lawyers, professors, or other professionals, as you suggest...

" it is up to the opposition parties and the strength of public opinion to make the coalition change or modify their ppolicies."

Isn't that what's happening?

If your only idea of opposition is to boycott votes and call for street theatre histrionics because you can't beat a coalition government then you deserve everything that happens to you. Whatever happened to cunning and guile and well, let's face it worked last time, money, and a military hand in luring a few mp's your way. It's not as if the dems are above that kind of behaviour. This has been the dems biggest chance of exploiting the amnesty bill fiasco and they've blown it.

Why vote when the majority has been given orders from a man in Dubai to vote only one way.

Do you ever think about what you are posting. Jeez I am no where near a politician or a student of it. I just rely on common sense and what I see happening. 310 to 0 looks like a farce to me.

Now if the man in Dubai had said vote your conscience it would have been a little different. Unlike you the Democrats know what is happening and realized it was just approving the PTP tactics if they stayed and watched it. So they did the best thing they could to let people know they disapproved of it they would not stand around and watch a farce.

The very fact that people gathered with out being paid and bused in to show their disapproval of the farce should tell you some thing. Unlike the red shirts they just started to gather on their own and protest as they grew a leadership arose. They did not need a rabble rouser to get their attention. The corrupt single minded Government did that.

Now the Red Shirts had a leader with a lot of money to organize them before they even started for their rally on buses supplied to them. With out the buses a lot of them would not have left the bars. The ones who did will have a lot more money to spend on drinks that do funny things to there mind. I wonder if their leader is going to leave them stranded again and depend on the Government to pay their way home.

Populist policies are part of every governments election policy. But not many democratically elected governments are subject to such rabble rowsers

Usually because there is no need to...... however

• Like 1

Keep repeating as much as you like - doesn't make things any different. Being democratically elected (even ignoring the not-so-democratic methodologies employed to see that happen) does not give a party carte blanche power. When it becomes impossible for the opposition to stop dubious laws, and the ability of the lower house to do so is withered and side tracked (the 50%+1 rule) then there is little the public can do except take to the streets. That is part of democracy, keep repeating that to yourself - in a democracy people have the right to protest. It is only in this way that corrupt governments do not end up as dictatorships. Comparing Thailand to the UK is far from a like-for-like comparison - there is no free press here, liable laws and their free/frivolous over use close down education and public debate, lies are continuous, there is no recourse on being bad (they even have criminals - and murder suspects - in the houses - and criminal charges have to be left until the end of session) - there is no comparison at all as there is no integrity, no effective oversight, no legitimate challenging press coverage, no independence of judiciary, police or military, and so on.

Under a parliamentary democracy, as long as they hold a majority, yes basically it does give them carte Blanche.

• Like 1

Populist policies are part of every governments election policy. But not many democratically elected governments are subject to such rabble rowsers as the power hungry Suthep who openly calls for the overthrow of the government because its not his party which is in power.

Sensible intelligent oppositions around the world who do not normally carry on like school kids as they do in Thailand. Wait their turn at the polls after the term of government.

Some times.

Have the last three governments before this one completed there term? Seems to me they all left the scene in less than 4 years. Are you telling us that there was no rabble rouser's involved in the last government not fulfilling their term? Now that I think about it Thai government before the coup did not complete their term either.

I lived in Canada a long time and saw several federal governments that did not complete their full term. Also some Provencal governments fail to complete there full term. They use the same system as Thailand. I would not be one bit surprised if there was other countries using the same system that did not have governments fall short of completing their term.

I believe in the states Nixon did not complete his full term either.wai2.gif

Keep repeating as much as you like - doesn't make things any different. Being democratically elected (even ignoring the not-so-democratic methodologies employed to see that happen) does not give a party carte blanche power. When it becomes impossible for the opposition to stop dubious laws, and the ability of the lower house to do so is withered and side tracked (the 50%+1 rule) then there is little the public can do except take to the streets. That is part of democracy, keep repeating that to yourself - in a democracy people have the right to protest. It is only in this way that corrupt governments do not end up as dictatorships. Comparing Thailand to the UK is far from a like-for-like comparison - there is no free press here, liable laws and their free/frivolous over use close down education and public debate, lies are continuous, there is no recourse on being bad (they even have criminals - and murder suspects - in the houses - and criminal charges have to be left until the end of session) - there is no comparison at all as there is no integrity, no effective oversight, no legitimate challenging press coverage, no independence of judiciary, police or military, and so on.

Under a parliamentary democracy, as long as they hold a majority, yes basically it does give them carte Blanche.

You are right but under a democracy it does not give them Carte Blanche. In a democracy it would be the people who elect the Prime Minister. Not Parliamentarians.

Really big difference.

The yellows had the hand clappers so the reds countered with the foot clapper, now in order for the redshirts to not to be outdone by the anti-governments protestor's whistles the reds will be issued with a vuvuzela each.

Edited by waza

I was here in 1969 attending high school. I guess all farmers were poor then? I don't suppose they had debts and certainly no credit cards to spend. They certainly didn't die because of poor living conditions. They didn't have debts and no need to spend besides the necessities. More importantly, they were content. They worked and were happy!

A worker in my FIL's factory had 4 wives living together. One worked the field, one sold khanom, one sold noodles, one sold flowers. They were happy living together. The landlord whose land was rented to the factory worked in the factory himself! There were no politicians hanging a banner of democracy on their lips while exploiting the poor. There were no Western apologists then like nowadays fueling the flame to raise greed and discontent by greedy politicians exploiting the poor in the name of democracy!

Edited by muchogra
  • Like 2

Also, please cite the specific occasion in which Thaksin promised the rice farmers they would become "rich" (again, based on the dictionary definition of that term).

Presuming farmers are part of "all Thai people"

March 14, 2011

Thaksin told his supporters, We must give the Pheu Thai Party a land slide victory in the next election so I can return to Thailand to solve the economic problems. I promise that I will make all Thai people rich within six months.

http://2bangkok.com/thaksin-a-continuing-menace.html

• Like 1