RE: Bangkok post op/ed 'Don't Thai to me' Have you heard it?

nach

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work a lot in Malaysia and Singapore, cant say i have heard that one - i can understand it though!!

Back to Malaysia next week so i will be listening out for it.

Malaysia & Singapore have got enough of their own peculiar social issues to contend with. So ragging on Thailand is another Malaysian glasshouse phenomenon.

I work a lot in Malaysia and Singapore, cant say i have heard that one - i can understand it though!!

Back to Malaysia next week so i will be listening out for it.

Malaysia & Singapore have got enough of their own peculiar social issues to contend with. So ragging on Thailand is another Malaysian glasshouse phenomenon.

Agree 100%, but many Malaysians seem to be swept up in the headlong rush to emulate Sillypore (by 2020, no less ..). When Lee Kuan Yew set out to transform Singapore from a tropical slum, one of the first things he had to do was confront corruption head on - Malaysia has a very long way to go if that is ever going to happen. I enjoy Malaysia - at least the Penang-Ipoh-KL-Melaka chunk of it - but the country has to cover a lot of ground in just seven six years.

Edited by MrWorldwide

I'm not surprised that this is being said. Thailand has always had a poor reputation for honesty and hard work, in places such as Singapore. I've not been there in the last 6 months, so can't say I heard the saying, however totally understand why it's being said. Quite funny really, that countries are clearly taking note of Yinglucks promotion of Thainess.

This idea goes a bit beyond the current admin Mr. Toad...

I'm sure we could come up with great meanings for "Don't Malay/Hong Kong/Singapore me!" if we wanted to.

Don't Singapore me is obvious - it means don't give me a fine please, cos Singapore is a 'fine' city!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm not surprised that this is being said. Thailand has always had a poor reputation for honesty and hard work, in places such as Singapore. I've not been there in the last 6 months, so can't say I heard the saying, however totally understand why it's being said. Quite funny really, that countries are clearly taking note of Yinglucks promotion of Thainess.

Sorry Mr Toad..I have to disagree with your quote "Thais are lazy"

I've worked with a heap of hard working Thai construction workers (tradesmen and engineers) that work side by side with Farangs and they never bludge and carry on anymore than the Farang. They have my respect, not because they are Thai but because they are genuine gaffers and they have the respect of the companies that recruit them, because they have earned their reputation.

Generally they work longer rosters, for less pay and under worse conditions and they do their work with professionalism.

Maybe you just hang around in the wrong places.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

If this is what people are saying about Thailand then, heaven forbid, if they were ever unfortunate enough to go to Vietnam. Lying, cheating and stealing are the national pastimes.

I've lived in Vietnam for the last 8 years, after 5 years in Thailand.

In my experience Thai people are infinitely more adept at lying, cheating and stealing than Vietnamese people.

Is your view based on experience of hearsay?

Well, Samui/Saigon Sam, I don't visit this site very often and only just saw your comment. The topic may be old but, seeing as though you feel the desire to 'quantify' yourself I will respond in same.

I spent MORE than double your stated time in Vietnam, have spent more time with my Thai wife than you spent in Thailand and, based on my experiences with Thailand and Thai people, now choose to live in Thailand.

So, armed with all of that, my view is based on experience!

Tat simply have to get onto this and change it around,'do Thai to me',think how many tourists they could lure in with this change around,maybe like 28 billion.

The TAT would love trying to 'Thai to me'. That's their nature....

Edited by roguewo

Makes me laugh when I hear things like this,

The part of Europe I come from, not alone would you not dare to leave out tables,chairs pots plants etc., etc., etc., they even steal National Monuments if there's a hint of metal in them. My friend at home recently told me they have now taken to stealing the plants growing in your front garden....the first palace to start looking for them would be in some Sunday market. As for plant machinery on building sites....well that's another long story...I could go on for a very long time but I have to go out now. As they say....they would take the eye out of your head....and come back later for the eyebrows.....so....please, leave Thailand alone.

Gypsies ??? I will assume you are not in Sweden...... :-)

Regarding this thread, have to admit that Thais can be a bit economical with

the truth, with a lot of issues over face saving. If you know this ahead of time,

no problem. If you came to Thailand and believed everything that people told

you, you would be in a world of hurt .....

Edited by EyesWideOpen

We live in a rural area and have ka-mooi bars on all windows and roll up steel doors. My wife tells me to be careful and lock up after dark. We even had to build a new utility area for the washing machines. This is in an area where everyone knows everyone, so go figure. We hear the dogs going on alarm constantly.

But I wonder if its just the sheep mentality as round by me no bars no locked doors, half way between Hua hin and Prachuap Khiri khan, I was amazed at the lack of crime.

Tat simply have to get onto this and change it around,'do Thai to me',think how many tourists they could lure in with this change around,maybe like 28 billion.

In the first week!!

Sorry Mr Toad..I have to disagree with your quote "Thais are lazy"

I've worked with a heap of hard working Thai construction workers (tradesmen and engineers) that work side by side with Farangs and they never bludge and carry on anymore than the Farang. They have my respect, not because they are Thai but because they are genuine gaffers and they have the respect of the companies that recruit them, because they have earned their reputation.

Generally they work longer rosters, for less pay and under worse conditions and they do their work with professionalism.

Maybe you just hang around in the wrong places.

Please forward me their phone numbers as I have yet to find any good workmen.