RE: Bangkok post op/ed 'Don't Thai to me' Have you heard it?

nach

I'm curious if you have heard this in your travels...

It is reported there is a new English slang term being used by people in Malaysia, Hong Kong and Singapore. The phrase is "Don’t Thai to me". It means don’t lie to me or cheat me. There’s a bit of a controversy...

Edit: link removed. The Bangkok Post does not allow linking or copying of its articles.!

Edited by Mario2008
  • Like 1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We live in a rural area and have ka-mooi bars on all windows and roll up steel doors. My wife tells me to be careful and lock up after dark. We even had to build a new utility area for the washing machines. This is in an area where everyone knows everyone, so go figure. We hear the dogs going on alarm constantly.

• Like 1

We live in a rural area and have ka-mooi bars on all windows and roll up steel doors. My wife tells me to be careful and lock up after dark. We even had to build a new utility area for the washing machines. This is in an area where everyone knows everyone, so go figure. We hear the dogs going on alarm constantly.

I think this has been posted in the wrong topic, certainly nothing to do with this one?xhuh.png.pagespeed.ic.v2JGDFj1C6.webp

This is going around the Thai social media websites now. Even was reported in the Bangkok Post the other day. Hard to argue with when even the finance minister admits to telling porkies.

Sorry, my British, Australian, NZ, S.African English is no up to date.

Perhaps someone could replace the term "porkies" to something more internationally standard, as in North American English?

Thxkbye.

This is going around the Thai social media websites now. Even was reported in the Bangkok Post the other day. Hard to argue with when even the finance minister admits to telling porkies.

Perhaps someone could replace the term "porkies" to something more internationally standard, as in North American English?

Thxkbye.

REAGANS maybe? Ronnies?

• Like 1

If the Newspaper's short article that I read is the same one being referred to here, then it described it as 'don't comprise' with me. No doubt the Post didn't want to be telling dumb foreigners that such a great people are not always as straight forward as they like to claim. However, Vietnamese rank somewhere up there too, and are bigger gossips than the Thais (yes I was surprised).

As for the lying in Thailand, it depends on who you are and in what situation. Of course in a bar or masage, chatting on the web or casual aquaintqnces literally everything told to you can be lies.

Singaporeans think their **** doesnt stink and Malaysians desperately want to emulate the Singaporean standard of living. Given that Thais look down on their own neighbours, why would be surprised that the richer countries should feel the same way about Thais ? Indonesia will dwarf all of them within 10 years - some very interesting times ahead.

Nice to see people jumping aboard the stereotype charabanc. We had a saying in England about Taffy the welshman and some missing beef- it was a nursery rhyme, and I think that this thread barely meets that intellectual level

Thxkbye.

North American English is hardly internationally standard. It is a uniquely self-absorbed sub-dialect of real English. <deleted> you can't even spell.

• Like 1

Slang that refers to other countries in a derogatory manner like this comes from a false sense of superiority.

Only the insecure need to justify their superiority.

I couldn't care less because I don't go around using hip trendy vocab that has no substance and makes me look pretty ignorant and racist.

• Like 2