Traveling to UK with girlfriend and son

Only British citizens can have a British passport.

You son is either currently British or he is not.

If he is not he may be eligible to apply to become British, but until he actually is British he cannot apply for a British passport; well, he can apply but it will be refused.

As to whether your son is currently British or you will need to obtain British citizenship for him, see the first part of British citizenship basics.

Edited by 7by7

The difference in size between the short and long certificates is not that great!

The short one is fairly square, the long one irritatingly rectangular so will not fit neatly into any normal envelope nor fit onto an A4 scanner. Most people think immediately of the long version! I have to admit I have never seen a short one 'in the flesh'!

As for the proof of accommodation some people have been asked to present copies of the deeds or land registry to show details of where they will stay! If the sponsor is the same as the provider of the accommodation the covering letter may satisfy an ECO but if it is third party then it would be a bit foolish to apply without such a letter. A signed letter sent as an email attachment sounds a pretty good idea.

I suspect it all rather depends on the individual ECO.

some people have been asked to present copies of the deeds or land registry to show details of where they will stay!

If the land in the UK is registered land (the vast majority is these days), then all the sponsor needs to show is an office copy of the Land Registry title entry available online for £3. The entry needs to show the sponsor as the registered propreitor (ie owner) of the land leasehold or freehold. Not too onerous.

my wifes 4yr old son just got his first UK passport without applying for citizenship. (3 weeks wait time)

although we required abit more documentation as my wife was making the application and had to get required documents from her ex-husband.

ive seen mentioned that the thai birth certificate translation must be certified at the MFA, i dont think this is the case as ours wasnt.

the people at the embassy will check the application first before even accepting it.

ours was refused first becuase the documents from her ex-husband had to be stamped by a solicitor. and also required copies off passport during the 2008-2009 showing stamps and again all these had to be stamped by a solicitor.

also a letter from ex giving consent to the passport application and stamped by a solicitor.

after getting all this the embassy accepted the application and told my wife there and then expect the passport in a few weeks.

Presumably her ex-husband, the boy's father, is British so the boy inherited his British citizenship from him. Unless he was born in the UK and one or both of his parents had ILR, or the equivalent, at the time.

You are correct in saying that for UK purposes the translations of Thai documents do not need to be certified by the Thai MFA; only by the translation office which did the translations.

This is not, however, the case for other countries. For example, for a Schengen visa application translations do need to be certified by the MFA.

some people have been asked to present copies of the deeds or land registry to show details of where they will stay!

If the land in the UK is registered land (the vast majority is these days), then all the sponsor needs to show is an office copy of the Land Registry title entry available online for £3. The entry needs to show the sponsor as the registered propreitor (ie owner) of the land leasehold or freehold. Not too onerous.

Not onerous but it was suggested earlier that:

"You don't need a letter from your parents or proof they own the place."

Therefore some ECO's will not only expect a letter but may reject an application without the 'full monty' of information. I seem to remember in the dim and distant past the lack of Land Registry information was used in a refusal!

Neglecting to include a letter of invitation or proof that they own the place is asking for trouble!

Posts steering this thread way off topic have been removed as well as some responses.

The OP has sought advice on one issue and is receiving "advice" on what to if he has a Irish ancestor, I really don't know why that was brought up.

If members have something useful to post, that is great, but please don't post, and get into silly arguments, just for the sake of it.

• Like 1

This may sound dumb to some people but can i apply for a passport for my son if i have not yet applied for British citizenship for him even though he is eligible.

Thank you

As a few others have mentioned, if you are British there is no need not apply for citizenship. Just apply for the passport and your child will automatically get it.

I simply applied for my daughter's passport. Up until that point, Britain didn't even know she existed.

This may sound dumb to some people but can i apply for a passport for my son if i have not yet applied for British citizenship for him even though he is eligible.

Thank you

As a few others have mentioned, if you are British there is no need not apply for citizenship. Just apply for the passport and your child will automatically get it.

I simply applied for my daughter's passport. Up until that point, Britain didn't even know she existed.

This is interesting to me and a little bit confusing also. I have just got him a Thai passport and will use that for entry this time. However, i will be looking into the entitlements and differences of British passport and Citizenship at a later date as i will probably seek both for him. Definitely a new topic to come.

Thanks

It can seem complicated, but is really quite simple.

If you are British otherwise than by descent then your son is already British and so entitled to a British passport.

If born before 1st January 1983 then you are British otherwise than by descent if you were born in the UK or a qualifying territory*; unless your parents were foreign embassy staff with diplomatic immunity.

If you were born on or after 1st January 1983 then you are British otherwise than by descent if born in the UK or a qualifying territory* and at least one of your parents is British or legally resident in the UK or the qualifying territory* where you were born.

If either of the above apply to you then all you need to prove that you are British otherwise than by descent for your son's passport application is, as said previously, your long form birth certificate which can be obtained from the appropriate GRO via the link provided earlier.

You are also British otherwise than by descent if you were naturalised as British. In which case you will need your naturalisation certificate instead of long form birth certificate.

However, if your son was born before 1st July 2006 he will not be British as you are not married to his mother. You can apply to register him as British, which should be fairly straightforward; especially if you were to marry his mother.

* Qualifying territories are all of the British overseas territories except for the sovereign base areas of Akrotiri and Dhekelia.

Edited by 7by7

• 3 weeks later...

Hello people,

I still have not got round to applying yet with Christmas and all. However, i am back onto it!! I hopefully just one or two more questions.

We went ahead and got the Thai passport for my son. So now that i have it, and will have to apply for a visa for my girlfriend anyway, I was wondering if i do apply for the visa for her, will my son be included in that visa because he is a dependent? or will i have to get 2 separate visas?

The reason why i ask is because it will be cheaper to just go ahead with the visa application process from here and worry about a UK passport for him at a later date.

Thank you

Edited by Steps