restaurants serving snake in Bangkok?

BT444

i'm going back a good few years here and i can't say for sure if it's still open as i'm not in bkk anymore, but there used to be a restaurant in sukhumvit soi 33/1 on the right hand side about 30m into the soi from sukhumvit (2-3 doors before the pub that used to be the bulls head).

it was an open air isaan food place and they served snake - i had it. i can do spicy but this was an very, very spicy dish that looked like a dark coloured "larb" style with the meat minced up and other than the novelty value of eating snake not much to recommend it, i found it too spicy to enjoy and the texture was tough/rubbery and there were lots of very fine bones in it - the other food on the menu was excellent though.

Edited by GooEng

i'm going back a good few years here and i can't say for sure if it's still open as i'm not in bkk anymore, but there used to be a restaurant in sukhumvit soi 33/1 on the right hand side about 30m into the soi from sukhumvit (2-3 doors before the pub that used to be the bulls head).

it was an open air isaan food place and they served snake - i had it. i can do spicy but this was an very, very spicy dish that looked like a dark coloured "larb" style with the meat minced up and other than the novelty value of eating snake not much to recommend it, i found it too spicy to enjoy and the texture was tough/rubbery and there were lots of very fine bones in it - the other food on the menu was excellent though.

I have had it before in the same manner you describe, minus the bones and rubbery part.

The meat was finely minced/chopped, in fact you wouldnt have known you were eating snake.

The only reason I can think of it being so spicey was to disguise the taste(of the snake meat), I have no idea what type of snake it was.

Nothing special about it at all, would have preferred larb gai/moo.

• Like 1

snake is a popular dish in NE China in cold weather and when you walk into a restaurant there is usually an aquarium fulla serpents and you can take yer pick...and I'm quite sure that snake was served at a meal that we had there, the flesh takes easily to the cooking process and simply tastes good; our chinese hosts would never offend our western sensibilities with a description of what we were actually stuffin' down our gub...

• 4 weeks later...

There was a restaurant in Rangsit called Ja Rerng ( or something like that ) but I went there way before the flooding happened, not sure about the area now. It was a bit of a 'forest foods' place with seating on a deck by a small lake (or large pond). They had some turtle on the menu, gritty snail larb full of grit was one I sampled and the cobra. Cobra two ways, both like a bicycle tyre to eat, my friend imbibed some cobra blood spirit, one whiff smelled like a hospital grade antiseptic. The other time I ate it freshly caught and butchered by some beach boy rastafarian hunters was much more edible. I think most of the snake-eating fascination comes from meeting and watching your dinner perish thrashing about your tableside.

• 3 weeks later...