Visa run to Vientiane by bike

jkinbkk

Planning to make a small adventure of a Visa run I need to make in a couple of weeks.

Will drive up to Nong Khai --> across to Vientiane from Maha Sarakham.

Its clear what formalities are required to take the bike into Laos and back and the Thai (SMART version) Bike License is valid throughout ASEAN.

So, does anyone have advise (from experience) as to whether this plan essentially would work well, or is more likey to turn into a 'Cluster F---' across the Border and beyond?

My experience with bikes over 150 cc.

Piece of cake, I've taken 3 different bikes across over the last couple years. Takes maybe an hour on the Thai side, go to window 15, back over to number 8 etc. The laos side is pretty quick. There are two offices selling insurance right there, I highly recommend you get insurance. About 200B for 14 days. Crossing the border costs about 200 as well.

Coming home is way quicker. You get to wiggle up to the front of the "car" line, way faster than the bus/backpacker lines.

If you cross again in the future the bike is in the computer and it is a bit faster.

I love it, no tuk tuks to negotiate with, plenty of freedom to go explore etc. Bring a good lock.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

My experience with bikes over 150 cc.

Piece of cake, I've taken 3 different bikes across over the last couple years. Takes maybe an hour on the Thai side, go to window 15, back over to number 8 etc. The laos side is pretty quick. There are two offices selling insurance right there, I highly recommend you get insurance. About 200B for 14 days. Crossing the border costs about 200 as well.

Coming home is way quicker. You get to wiggle up to the front of the "car" line, way faster than the bus/backpacker lines.

If you cross again in the future the bike is in the computer and it is a bit faster.

I love it, no tuk tuks to negotiate with, plenty of freedom to go explore etc. Bring a good lock.

A year ago, I checked on some forums and it said bikes were not allowed to enter from the Nong Khai check point into Laos, but can exit, so I parked at the thai border. When was the last time you went in? And any idea when the Laos side change their ruling?