Most prestigious hotel in Thailand?

Fifteen15

I'm slumming it in cheap $6 hostels and will be for the next 5 months or so. I do however want to stay at the best 5 star hotel in Thailand for one night just for the experience. I've always wanted to stay at Raffles Hotel in Singapore ever since I walked past there when I was 9 and my mum telling me all the celebrities hang out there. Unfortunately it's $600 US a night which I can't really justify. Im hoping Thailand, or even cheap neighbouring countries i.e. Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos have cheaper 5 star hotels.

PP has Raffles Le Royale , but it's pretty expensive for what you get. Jackie Kennedy stayed there in the early 60s. More than $200us, too expensive . The Hyatt in Saigon is worth a splurge @ a reasonable price, depending on season

I think you'll find that the best hotels in Bangkok carry just as much of a premium as anywhere else. Top range hotels have similar prices to western hotels, $600/night is not rare, and not the most expensive. Something to consider, unless you can afford to splurge on everything else as well, just paying all your cash for a nice room will probably not be very rewarding for you. What happens when you also want room service or treating yourself to some other hotel service? Your $600 gets a lot bigger really fast.

There are lots of reasonably upscale hotels that have nice rooms or suites at around $2-300/night. Just my own experience, I have recently enjoyed staying at the Terminal 21 hotel, and the Emporium Suites hotel - both very nice (by my standard), and were around $200/night. That's just a couple of places that I happened to stay in lately, far from the top of the range, but I found my stays to be comfortable and enjoyable. They seemed to be high class enough for me to feel good about it.

Unfortunately you have hit the high season so it won't be cheap anywhere. I stayed at the Oriental which was immensely pretentious and not all that much fun- difficult to relax in a place like that. The Shangrila chain is excellent for service and amenities you can't go wrong with that. The Mariott and Grand Hyatts are quite good and have good recrecreation facilities.

Siem Reap is best value for money as far as hotels go in the region. There is a Raffles here as well. If you don't come during peak season (Christmas, New Year) you should be able to pick up a good deal.

In HCMC I would go for the Majestic. Sure, the Hyatt is nice but once inside you could be anywhere in the world. The Majestic is almost a century old and is a colonial building; the Hyatt is fairly new (less than 10 years).

• Like 2

I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental way back in 1981...had the Noel Coward suite for a night.

Went out on the town, returned with a babe, doorman said she couldn't enter the hotel.

Tried a 10K Baht bribe...he wouldn't take it. Slept alone in a great "room"..checked out

the next day & stayed at the now soon to close Federal Hotel...no more cranky doorman

problems.

How much was the Noel Coward suite? If you must know...since you're crashing out in a

$6 buck a nite flop....you will never be able to afford the MO...not even for a single night.

• Like 1

The Oriental may be the most storied and famous, but I believe a great experience can be had at the Shangra-la or even the Royal Orchid Sheraton at a lesser price. I satisfy my Oriental fix by having an afternoon tea on the restaurant deck, riverside.

I've stayed at the Royal Orchid. Nice view of the river and everything was all "spit & polish," but it was just another sterile American style hotel without any character. What Hanno said above about the Hyatt: "Sure, the Hyatt is nice but once inside you could be anywhere in the world," applies to the Royal Orchid too.

If I want to be on the river, not spend too much and feel comfortable I'd take a serviced apartment at the Centre Point Silom ... although I haven't been there in a few years ... it might be showing its age.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Stay by the river is nice. Try the club rooms on the top floors at the Shangri-la hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Or at the Sheraton Royal Orchid by the river. It's as nice and somewhat more reasonable (I don't like using the word "cheap") than the Shangri-La

PP has Raffles Le Royale , but it's pretty expensive for what you get. Jackie Kennedy stayed there in the early 60s. More than $200us, too expensive . The Hyatt in Saigon is worth a splurge @ a reasonable price, depending on season

However, one has to be dressed in a 5 star acceptable manner and not in a 6 buck kind of outfit

• Like 1

I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental way back in 1981...had the Noel Coward suite for a night.

Went out on the town, returned with a babe, doorman said she couldn't enter the hotel.

Tried a 10K Baht bribe...he wouldn't take it. Slept alone in a great "room"..checked out

the next day & stayed at the now soon to close Federal Hotel...no more cranky doorman

problems.

How much was the Noel Coward suite? If you must know...since you're crashing out in a

$6 buck a nite flop....you will never be able to afford the MO...not even for a single night.

Blowhard, a 10'000 Bt bribe in 1981 haha, the doorman would have found a way to get "the lady"up to a room

When I was working, I spent 10-15 nights a month in hotels, all 5 star. If the rack rate was, say $300 (talking 13+ years ago now), the company scored it for $60 with a guarantee of 30 rooms a night, 365 days a year, and now I stay in $40 a night places in Bangkok, City Lodge, Soi 9 Sukhumvit and Ibis, Soi Nana.

I don't miss anything the 5 stars offered, not a thing, and usually the staff were pretentious gits, up themselves because they worked at a 5 star hotel. My income would have been close to ten times that of most of the staff.

No more 5 stars for me, even though I can afford them, just a waste of money.

But.....the Oriental in Bangkok. I've had a drink there, and afternoon tea, and it is a fine place. Would it be worth the money to actually stay there? Not for me.

• Like 1

The best in the World used to be “Oriental” in Bangkok, but I think that was in the past (25 years ago).

Awarded as the best hotel in World now is “Six Senses” at Koh Samui.

Other top ranges may be one from the “Four Seasons” chain.

Do expect to pay 100k baht and up for one night.

• Like 1

After 5 months in a 6 dollar hostel maybe you should consider splurging out on a tent. At least you could take it home with you and have hours of fun explaining it to your friends.

Find a spot in the middle of nowhere, or even the centre of Bangkok, and sleep under the stars. The memory (good or bad wink.png )will stay with you much longer than any hotel, anywhere.

Edited by Mudcrab
  • Like 2