I want to go to every used book store in CM

DeeMockMark

Ok. I am on a mission. I want to go to every possible used book shop catering to Farang in CM. I know of a few near the Boots Pharmacy by Tha Pae Gate. . But I saw a couple squirreled away on some side sois. So I am assuming that there are a few that I don't know about and are hard to find. I am particularly looking for Art Books about artists, periods, movements, collections and etc. w/reproductions and text. But also general fiction and non-fiction and poetry. I prefer English but if the art books reproductions are good enough and something I am interested in any language will do. Thx.

You might want to check with George [uG on the forum] at Gecko Books as I think he has a database of books at his main store which lists the books at all his stores it might help to pinpoint some books and save you a trip to some of his other stores.

You can actually search gecko books online - it will tell you which branch has the book you want. But check out non-gecko bookstores, too!

You might want to check with George [uG on the forum] at Gecko Books as I think he has a database of books at his main store which lists the books at all his stores it might help to pinpoint some books and save you a trip to some of his other stores.

You can actually search gecko books online - it will tell you which branch has the book you want. But check out non-gecko bookstores, too!

Actually, i want the experience of going there and looking through the racks. I am not looking for a particularly book. But something that catches my fancy. Always looking for Art books with interesting paintings and nicely reproduced. It's a good reason to get ou of the house and get a little extra exercise and get to know CM more. And the days has been so mild and beautiful.

• Like 1

I am trying to locate a friend Irish John that has a book store in Chiang Mai. Does anyone know him and if so can you help me contact him.

Try Backstreet books near Thape gate - owner is a great Irish fellow but I think his name is George...

I guess I will ask him face to face when I get there. Thx.

Do they all pay the same prices for used books, or does anyone have an opinion on which one gives a better deal? I have maybe 10 new, but obviously read books that i'd like to sell.

No they don't and it depends on what you are trying to sell.Obviously if they already have that book in stock or multiple copies its unlikely they will need another copy unless its a high turnover edition.

I tend to shop at Backstreet Books and the Lost Bookshop as they have the authors I want to read but each to his own. Half the fun of buying books and finding new authors is the browsing if time is not a problem.

I get a little disappointed when I buy a new book, from say Asia Books, and then are only offered a small fraction of its price.I think since e readers are now becoming more popular the turnover of books may be probably down. Add to that CM is now seeing more and more Chinese,Koreans and Japanese who are very unlikely to buy books in English the downward trend,if there is one,may continue

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it still the policy at Gecko to wrap most of their books in cellophane, making it very difficult to browse, as the OP wants to do?

Good point!!!!!!!! But not just Gecko. I started my trek yesterday with Gecko and Backstreet both near the Boots Pharmacy on Tha Pae Rd. which is across from the Art Cafe. (Such a beautiful day made more beautiful by very good news from the doctor.) This branch of the Gecko had very little in the way of Art Books. But you are right both store's books were wrapped. Backstreet had a nice collection and a couple of + 1500 BHT books I might be interested in on a return visit. But I was able to look through them by requesting certain interesting items be unwrapped. A damper on the browsing expeirence for sure.

I think there is another bookstore across the small soi but it appeared to not be open at the time. I will be going back to Backstreet for another look. On a positive note, because the books are wrapped, they are in very good condition.

I tend to shop at Backstreet Books and the Lost Bookshop as they have the authors I want to read but each to his own. Half the fun of buying books and finding new authors is the browsing if time is not a problem.

I give Backstreet a personal thumbs up. Lost Bookshop? Any directions? Edited by DeeMockMark