Thai opposition says all its MPs to resign

Lite Beer

Many people of good will always wish the Thais good fortune - we all hold those hopes for the kingdom. However, seeing the Democrats resigning en-mass is a call to lawlessness and anarchy. What ever a person's political persuasions, those who leave their seats of responsibility in Parliament - let loose the hounds of civil strife.

Many would suggest, and hope, that Thais will take the middle road. Sure in the knowledge that the servant class has eaten of the fruit of the tree of knowledge, the hour-glass turned over by Mr. Thaksin can never be undone.

Long Live The King.

Would you deny the Democrat MPs their democratic right to resign, in protest against what they fear is unstoppable corruption in the government, and in an attempt to persuade PM-Yingluck to actually deliver on her several offers of new elections ? How democratic is it, for a self-exiled former-PM to issue orders to hang onto power, at all costs ?

The Dems latest action got to be better, more peaceful & more democratic, than what their former-colleague Suthep is seeking IMO.

I think Abhisit is doing the right thing here, rather than going off-the-reservation like Suthep. he's trying to work within the existing system, how can that be "a call to lawlessness and anarchy" or letting "loose the hounds of civil strife" ?

Lastly I do agree with you, Thaksin did (a decade or more ago) change things forever, by making the poor (in certain regions of the country only) more important, such a pity that his Aim Was Not Democracy, but rather putting a different set of rogues into power instead. sad.png

He could have been great, the honest political leader the country still needs, but he wasn't. wink.png

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are resigning only because they know that they are leading their supporters to their graves tomorrow and they are afraid that their party will be dissolved because of it if they don't.

Going to their graves? Are you suggesting that Yingluck has ordered the police to shoot people?

I certainly hope not, as my wife & many of her friends are also going, and by-the-way they are totally self-funding.

They're not there for Suthep, but because they think (like PM-Yingluck herself says) elections would be a good idea now, seems that the Dems & Abhisit agree, and are happy with resigning to help encourage her to actually do it !

I suspect that there will be a massive turnout at the protests today ! Good for Thai democracy ! wai2.gif

• Like 2

People's council was not the real solution it just another copy of coup government UN will not accepted this .

I totally agreed to get rid of Thaksin in power the powerful tools were media, only to get through government control media direct to the people information as many reds are from rural and they still get some wrong information .

Disrupt what system?

The one where you get to play PM with the right DNA?

The one where you change legislation half way through its passage to benefit those with the right DNA?

The one where you cheat the vote in the house by giving your voting cards to a friend!

The one where you lie about closing voting times to con the house vote?

You should be ashamed of your undemocratic principles

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

1. she's not 'playing PM' she is the democratic choice of the Thai people

2. The bill was amended in accordance with parliamentary procedure

3&4. Why would they need to 'cheat'? They have a large parliamentary majority

For the same reason they cheated to win the 2006 election when they didn't need to and victory was assured, yet because they cheated the election was annulled and they were barred.

TRT/PPP/PTP are always doing things that defy logic and common sense.

Can't really ask "why" they do those bizarre things they do.

Like a scorpion's nature is to sting, it's in TRT/PPP/PTP's. They need to cheat, they can't help it.

• Like 1

Whichever way you look at it. This is about sore losers who do not have the capital behind them to pay for the electorate as they have been thinking for the last decade. Unemployment de-railment of the plans to meet the AEC and tourists fleeing by their thousands. What we have here is a police that is split and we know can be bought. Whether you appreciated Thaksin or not the fact remains that according to Transparency International Thailand was not as corrupt as she is now. The graphs clearly illustrate that he kept corporate corruption down. Suthep is of the rails however whatever mob violence occurs in Bangkok or anywhere in Thailand the Democrats must shoulder the responsibility not Yingluck. She is ineffective with her cabinet and they are the ones who are pushing her to do her brother's bidding. Elections is the only way forward and the people must be given the chance to vote. If nepotism is to be stopped then only one member of a family should be allowed to be in politics whether they are in the Senate or the House of Representatives. Thailand is trying to recover and the opposition are crying out for chaos. There is only one option and that is a coup, sad but Thailand is just asking for it.

• Like 1

The dems haven't won an election since 1992....maybe one reason is that they are all talk and under them all the money stays in Bangkok to be divided up among THAT bunch of elites.

Under Taksin the GDP grew, the budget was balanced, universal health care became reality and more. ...and what exactly have the dems produced other than protests and threats of coups?

Between 2001 and the coup that overthrew Taksin in 2006, GDP grew by 30 percent, public sector debt fell from 57 per cent of GDP to 41 per cent, and foreign exchange reserves doubled. He even managed to balance the budget.

Income in the northeast, the poorest part of the country, rose by 41 percent. Poverty nationwide dropped from 21 percent to 11 percent, and the prevalence of HIV/AIDS declined. Thaksin even allowed the 2.3 million migrant workers in the country to register and qualify for health coverage.

From the point of view of the opposition Democratic Party, all this was just “buying the people’s votes.” When Thaksin won the 2005 election with an increased majority, it conspired with the military to overthrow him. He was then tried on corruption charges, but fled the country before the inevitable verdict and has since lived in exile, mostly in Dubai. But his party, reformed and renamed, goes on winning every time there is an election.

spot on!

this is an attempted coup and I think the Dems have scored an "own goal" AGAIN by supporting the overthrow of the government which DEFEATED them time and time again (and will AGAIN) so if they think they are riding on the coattails of some 'popular surge' they are wrong and will be seen as "opportunists" who lost the election but can't stand to get voted in democratically so take to the streets.

• Like 1

The dems haven't won an election since 1992....maybe one reason is that they are all talk and under them all the money stays in Bangkok to be divided up among THAT bunch of elites.

Under Taksin the GDP grew, the budget was balanced, universal health care became reality and more. ...and what exactly have the dems produced other than protests and threats of coups?

Between 2001 and the coup that overthrew Taksin in 2006, GDP grew by 30 percent, public sector debt fell from 57 per cent of GDP to 41 per cent, and foreign exchange reserves doubled. He even managed to balance the budget.

Income in the northeast, the poorest part of the country, rose by 41 percent. Poverty nationwide dropped from 21 percent to 11 percent, and the prevalence of HIV/AIDS declined. Thaksin even allowed the 2.3 million migrant workers in the country to register and qualify for health coverage.

From the point of view of the opposition Democratic Party, all this was just “buying the people’s votes.” When Thaksin won the 2005 election with an increased majority, it conspired with the military to overthrow him. He was then tried on corruption charges, but fled the country before the inevitable verdict and has since lived in exile, mostly in Dubai. But his party, reformed and renamed, goes on winning every time there is an election.

spot on!

this is an attempted coup and I think the Dems have scored an "own goal" AGAIN by supporting the overthrow of the government which DEFEATED them time and time again (and will AGAIN) so if they think they are riding on the coattails of some 'popular surge' they are wrong and will be seen as "opportunists" who lost the election but can't stand to get voted in democratically so take to the streets.

And Thaksin was responsible for the global economic boom too, wasn't he? He must have been, because after he was deposed, the global economy crashed.

Or, maybe, the rise in GDP in Thailand was due to the global economic boom, and Thaksin was just lucky enough to be PM at the time and was able to ride on it's coattails.

And it has worked ... Yingluck is reported to have asked to dissolve Parliament this morning. thumbsup.gif

The right decision, one can't help but feel, will certainly make today's rally a celebration !

Celebration? They said they will go on until she will vanish in the air... lol.

We went to work this morning of Monday but our boss asked us to go home.

Most schools and business are closed here in Bangkok

but I think the sidewalk food sellers sell much especially those near

the place where protesters are.

spot on!

And Thaksin was responsible for the global economic boom too, wasn't he? He must have been, because after he was deposed, the global economy crashed.

Or, maybe, the rise in GDP in Thailand was due to the global economic boom, and Thaksin was just lucky enough to be PM at the time and was able to ride on it's coattails.

Or is it just possible that Taksin was a hell of a businessman that actually knew how to get results rather than sit around on his butt and criticize?

Let's see a list of the dem's "accomplishments"...oh that's right they have only accomplished protests and coups and want to install THEIR elites which they think is better than the Taksin elites.....since they haven't won an election in over TWENTY YEARS does it really surprise anyone that they don't want another election but want to "appoint" a government of their choosing?

Just try and imagine that in the USA. Let's see we can't win an election so lets do away with elections and just let the LOSING party appoint whoever they damn well please? I don't think that is likely to happen in ANY civilized country that even pretends to be a democracy.

It seems the Democrats have just committed political suicide. They resigned from the party, which means they will - all of them - not be allowed to stand in the next elections, which are to be held in 60 days or less. That means the Democrats have to find over 500 new candidates and prepare them, all in less than 60 days.

It seems the Democrats have just committed political suicide. They resigned from the party, which means they will - all of them - not be allowed to stand in the next elections, which are to be held in 60 days or less. That means the Democrats have to find over 500 new candidates and prepare them, all in less than 60 days.

Naa apparently there was a typo on the resignation forms so they have been deemed invalid, no problem. thumbsup.gif

This isn't a fledgling democracy, it's a fledgling dictatorship, or aren't you paying attention? Want to know what's ridiculous? It's that anyone thinks that Thailand is operating under a democracy at this time.

They're not backstabbing anyone, the people voting them in will be cheering this news loudly, the people voting them in are out their marching now, to keep this country free. It's about time they got on their feet and stood up for their country against these petty dictators.

They are back to their 2006 tactic, if you can't win at the ballot box, you frustrate the system. The democratic party is democratic in name only.

Not only do they backstab all the people that voted for them, they now openly support Suthep and his People's council.

I feel sorry for everyone that voted these clowns in to parliament.

So even if we take your ridiculous analogy that 80,000 odd people on the street replicates the 11 million democrat voters PTP's voters number around 16 million, still a majority. Or are you saying that out of the entire electorate of Thailand all those that didn't vote for the PTP agree with deposing them, an equally ridiculous thought.

It doesn't matter how you dress it up, these street protests of Sutheps are not the way forward for a fledgling democracy like Thailand.

Put me down for ridiculous then. Last time I looked around me I wasn't living in a dictatorship. How many dictatorships do you know that have (though no doubt reluctantly) dissolved a government and offered new elections? Mind you if the dems keep up their childish behaviour of boycotting it may well be a one party state election - luckily the democratic rules of election does not allow that to happen.

Seems to me you need to be looking for definitions of ridiculous thinking nearer home.

Today, Monday December 9. It is the D Day Suthep said.

If they are not successful today, he is willing to surrender.

I couldn't wait...

Well if he misses todays arrest, he'always got the murder charges on the 11th to look forward to. He can meet his unemployed mate there and talk about the times when they thought they were politicians.

Yingluck dissolved Parliament today. New elections to be held in 60 days.

This should be interesting. Wonder how the Dems and Suthep will react to this?

That's why they are keeping up the protests, in an attempt to seize power and prevent an election. An election is their worst-case scenario, because they haven't won an election in over 20 years.

• Like 1

Hmmm .... One hellava chess game ????? coffee1.gif

You can't compare this <deleted> to chess - politicians from both sides are about as subtle as hand grenades and have the tactical thinking of a 7 year old with dyslexia.

It's all a game of "mine's bigger than yours" being carried out by playground bullies.

They should rename this place Kindergartenland.

Leave and leave Thailand for Thai.

They are the BEST in every aspect.

Why do civilized people even travel this place?

Oh wait - there is no other playground that could match then, right? Right!

So do what they all expect you to do.

Be quiet, bring your money and while here just respect their culture.

Need to go now, need to puke ;-)

Put me down for even being more ridiculous then.

This whole ...dom is a joke at its own. Just wait, you will see how this ends, They possess all and best qualities to let this be the bloodiest battleground of all times. Remember the wars in South/East Europe, middle East?... They will be nothing compared - just wait and make sure to pack your bags in time!

Put me down for even being more ridiculous then.

This whole ...dom is a joke at its own. Just wait, you will see how this ends, They possess all and best qualities to let this be the bloodiest battleground of all times. Remember the wars in South/East Europe, middle East?... They will be nothing compared - just wait and make sure to pack your bags in time!

Yes thank you for the fire and brimstone. We're glad you're back home in your country all safe and sound. Or are you still here enjoying what it offers while still cursing the country as a 'joke'.

I believe I have similar views as a lot of other TV members, that is I am 100% anti-Thaksin/redshirts/PTP, and not necessarily a Democrat supporter, but anything is a better option than Yingluck and co.

If you removed all the Shinawatras from Thai politics, or even better from Thailand, and all the lowlifes who have any connection with that rotten family, the country would be much better off.

It is not the PTP that is the problem, the common denominator when it comes to problems faced by Thailand, begins and ends with Shinawatra.

Such a pity that vile dynasties such as Thaksin's regime have to come along now and again. bah.gif

• Like 2