Foreign countries fear political situation will exacerbate

webfact

Foreign countries fear political situation will exacerbate

BANGKOK, 11 December 2013 (NNT) – Several foreign countries fear that the current political conflict in Thailand will escalate, while voicing support for the general election.

Acting Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul, who has recently been assigned by the Prime Minister to oversee the Center for the Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO), revealed that the international community had expressed its concern over the political situation in Thailand, as several countries feared that the situation in Thailand would exacerbate, while urging the caretaker government to resort to peaceful means in settling differences with the protesters.

They also voiced their support for the upcoming general election under the democratic system. The international community also hoped that the election, which is scheduled for February 2nd next year, would go smoothly in order for Thailand to quickly restore peace and stability.

Among the countries making the statement were the USA, Germany, New Zealand, Canada, and China.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-12-11 footer_n.gif

POLITICAL TURMOIL
Canberra hopes House dissolution and poll help ease tension in Thailand

Australia has hoped that the dissolution of House of Representatives and election will help ease the political tension in Thailand.

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop noted in her statement issued today although Thailand had been grappling with major political challenges, she appreciated the way in which the Thai authorities had allowed peaceful demonstrations and had responded in a restrained manner.

"Minister for Foreign Affairs, Ms Julie Bishop, has expressed the hope that decision by Thailand's Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to call an early election for February 2014 will help ease the country's political tensions," read the statement.

She also encouraged all parties to resolve their political differences through peaceful democratic processes and with respect for the rule of law.

She reiterated Thailand had Australia's goodwill and support as it tried to find ways to settle its political difficulties.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade's Smartraveller advice for Thailand alerts Australians to the protests and advises them to avoid all demonstrations and largescale gatherings, monitor developments that might affect their safety in Thailand and plan their travel accordingly.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-11

am just now starting to get a hint of this rabbits who have been shot at demeanor, and i am no where near bkk. but past pre-election periods have also seen a skittish demeanor. you know that look, all gloves are off, which they have every right to assume given past runs.

safest bet might be to skip across the border early new year till the dust settles. will closely monitor how it goes till then

Edited by Chippen Dong

Who cares what other countries think?

None of them seem to have a real handle on what the hell goes on in this country anyway, including (and especially) their ambassadors living in their little cotton wool bubbles and hob-nobbing with the political and business elites.

I think wikileaks would contradict your opinion. Embassies get a hell of a lot more insight than we ever will.. That's why its secret....

yeah they know so much that they even stopped 9/11 ...err hang on a second let me check that again...clap2.gif

• Like 2

I wouldn't get too riled up about this re-posted article.

Looking at the media source (National News Bureau of Thailand), seems to me that CAPO is merely summarizing statements and sentiment made in past days, trying now to spin them together as some sort of overwhelming support for themselves. It was pretty clear to me, at least in the UK and US statements of late, they are not supporting one side or the other.

Having said that, and while this headline says "foreign countries", not USA in particular, I'm sure the anti-US trolls will be along shortly.

hey what are you dyslexic or something? indeed were here alreadycheesy.gifcoffee1.gif

• Like 1

None of them seem to have a real handle on what the hell goes on in this country anyway, including (and especially) their ambassadors living in their little cotton wool bubbles and hob-nobbing with the political and business elites.

Yes but the money spent by the tourists will HURT the Thai economy of they stay at home won't it.

I think they mean escalate not exacerbate.

Quite correct sir. The troubles may escalate due to

A) Yingluck's intransigence by not quitting

OR

B) Suthep's intransigence by not quitting.

Basically a stalemate and no-one seems to know quite how to end this. Except by a big scrap in the streets.

It has got down to the stage of the classic "pissing contest" with both sides threatening, demanding etc.

Time will tell.

People like Chalerm Tarit and Surapong are exacerbating the situation by running their mouths as well as the protest leaders making seemingly impossible demands

I think wikileaks would contradict your opinion. Embassies get a hell of a lot more insight than we ever will.. That's why its secret....

yeah they know so much that they even stopped 9/11 ...err hang on a second let me check that again...clap2.gif

What has 911 got to so with anything. The biggest insight into what is going on here is in the wikileaks compilation.

I think they mean escalate not exacerbate.

Nope, they mean exacerbate. To make more violent, bitter or severe.

You have to exacerbate something. You cannot exacerbate yourself. I hear it makes you blind.

Makes you deaf too, what did you say?... The something would be the situation brought about by protesters etc I guess

Looking at the media source (National News Bureau of Thailand), seems to me that CAPO is merely summarizing statements and sentiment made in past days, trying now to spin them together as some sort of overwhelming support for themselves. It was pretty clear to me, at least in the UK and US statements of late, they are not supporting one side or the other.

Having said that, and while this headline says "foreign countries", not USA in particular, I'm sure the anti-US trolls will be along shortly.

hey what are you dyslexic or something? indeed were here alreadycheesy.gifcoffee1.gif

Hey, I'm not think as you dyslexic I am.

Some like to hate on Americans, for others it might be Jews, black people, maybe Muslims, gays and lesbians. Up to you, mate.

We shouoldn't put too much meaning in the official statements of other governments.

They are not genuinely interested in the well-being of the people living in Thailand, they are only intersted in doing business with Thai companies or the Thai government. So when they fear the "political situation will exacerbate" that translates into "don't endanger our profits" or "don't endanger our planned new projects to gain more profits from you".

If they were really or honestly interested, they would say, that they hope for a democratic election, a vote-buying-free election and a corruption-free government. I didn't read anything like that anywhere...

And let's not forget, Taksin employes a bunch of spin doctors, experienced in twisting the truth until it looks opposite to the pristine truth.

SamM.

I agree, foreign governments are only interested in their countries’ interests, as they should. But, only the poor Thais, with no other hope and nothing to lose, care about democracy in Thailand. The wealthy and privileged couldn't care less; while some sectors historically prefer military dictatorships.

Hey, I'm not think as you dyslexic I am.

Some like to hate on Americans, for others it might be Jews, black people, maybe Muslims, gays and lesbians. Up to you, mate.

no, i not discriminating or racist, i hate 'em all without fear or favour.

groupies, the scum of the earth.

Edited by Chippen Dong

POLITICAL TURMOIL

Canberra hopes House dissolution and poll help ease tension in Thailand

Australia has hoped that the dissolution of House of Representatives and election will help ease the political tension in Thailand.

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop noted in her statement issued today although Thailand had been grappling with major political challenges, she appreciated the way in which the Thai authorities had allowed peaceful demonstrations and had responded in a restrained manner.

"Minister for Foreign Affairs, Ms Julie Bishop, has expressed the hope that decision by Thailand's Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to call an early election for February 2014 will help ease the country's political tensions," read the statement.

She also encouraged all parties to resolve their political differences through peaceful democratic processes and with respect for the rule of law.

She reiterated Thailand had Australia's goodwill and support as it tried to find ways to settle its political difficulties.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade's Smartraveller advice for Thailand alerts Australians to the protests and advises them to avoid all demonstrations and largescale gatherings, monitor developments that might affect their safety in Thailand and plan their travel accordingly.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-12-11

Maybe Australia's Minister for Foreign Affairs would have been better seen serving her people by making a statement about yet another Australian citizen murdered over in Thailand, and sending out a warning to the Thai government (like the Russians did). Rather than spewing out meaningless ass kissing rhetoric.

I expect she was more interested in listening to the telephone conversations of the PTP.......thumbsup.gif

Seriously... those ambassadors are SUCH big jerks when the Thai govt, health and military officials ask for training, equipment and money.

Thinking often leads to action and silence is sometimes the mark of a true thinker.

The comments about "Their ambassadors" apears meaningless and irrelevant to the main issue unless there is additional information the poster can provide.