Another day in Samui

Was in Nathon at the "Koh Samui School" which is one of the biggest on Samui watching my 10 year old son play football / soccer in an interschool competition today. luckily 50 metres away from ....

In the next pitch were the big kids - 15 years up with lots of fans standing around cheering them on .. not bad football and very competitive. The fans from competing schools got a bit excited at one stage and started fighting next to the pitch (looked really funny as they were all wearing their scouts uniforms today - boys and girls getting involved, punches, kicks yelling etc .. but still at least one was taken away in an ambulance) ) ... and then one wasn't so happy so went to his motorbike, and pulled out a handgun and luckily one of the teachers grabbed it off him and held him down until the police turned up. Then the police sent all kids to classrooms while they sorted out the problems.

I left after my kid lost the game (not on the field but through a toss of the coin as it was a draw .. just devastating to my 10 year old but they don't do penalties at that age for some reason )

Its not just America where kids take guns to school, it happens in Samui as well.

Another day in paradise.

This is really alarming.

Kids of that age should not fight or even have a gun, how does he even get that gun?

His father?

very pity incident, hope the one taken to hospital get better soon, and thanks for the alert teacher.

To venture a guess it was most likely to be an airsoft replica. You can buy these from any of the temple fairs. (Not cheap, either, 5,000B - 8,000B.)

They are completely lifelike and impossible to tell from the real thing - till you see them close up and realise they shoot little plastic balls. I had a couple at one time but grew out of them ;-)

Unless the kid stole it from under his dad's bed - highly unlikely it was a real one.

(And he'll get such a whacking when dad finds out . . .one way or the other . . .)

But scary whatever the "gun" was - not nice.

In America these replicas have to have an orange tip by law. In the UK they have to come with silly-coloured plastic. Here - there are no enforced rules or laws about them.

In theory they are illegal - any gun using compressed air needs a firearm licence. But then riding a motorbike aged 13 is illegal. So is not having a licence . . .etc etc etc

(And on the same theme, I read on the internet a few days ago that Thailand is one of the world's best countries for anti-smoking legislation! The government here is not entirely stupid. Someone, a few years ago, must have caught on to the idea that all they have to do is to make thousands of laws, in order to gain international acceptance and be highly thought of by other nations. But . . . . . . . . . . . . .)

Realistic, aren't they . . .

airsoft.jpg

But if I shot you with one from 6 feet away the little plastic ball (weighs 1/10 of a gram) would just bounce off your skin.

(Try explaining that to the BIB who has just shot you with a real bullet, though . . . )

Yet another one to add to the list . . . .

R

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1

Dreadful !

many times i feel like i would like to carry a gun too......................i would blast out "people movers,cement trucks,taxis and petrol tankers,young thai kids doing wheelies,the list goes on but i dont have enough bullets!

This should be the most stupid comment ever posted on thaivisa !!!

No even in my wildest dreams could I imagine that "I would blast ... thai kids doing wheelies" could be used by anybody in any way who is not utterly insane !!! Not in a sarcastic or funny way or in any way at all !!!

Is it nowadays really so "normal" to talk about killing people like it would be fun or a joke ?

What happened in the school is very alarming but what is happening on this threat is even more alarming .... but probably this post gets censored from the mods anyway as sanity is obviously not something that is wanted on this forum.

If you have a problem with moderation please send PM or contact........ [email protected].

21) Not to discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy. Members should not block contact with moderators or administrators. Doing so will result in suspension.

All ended well for us though as my daughters team got to the final for the girls secondary school team and did not have to play as the opposition school was kicked out of the competition for starting the fights (there was another fight the next day also) ...

good to see it was taken seriously and just a pity for the kids actually playing the football as it was not them that started the fights, but they are the ones that get punished also

To venture a guess it was most likely to be an airsoft replica. You can buy these from any of the temple fairs. (Not cheap, either, 5,000B - 8,000B.)

They are completely lifelike and impossible to tell from the real thing - till you see them close up and realise they shoot little plastic balls. I had a couple at one time but grew out of them ;-)

Unless the kid stole it from under his dad's bed - highly unlikely it was a real one.

(And he'll get such a whacking when dad finds out . . .one way or the other . . .)

But scary whatever the "gun" was - not nice.

In America these replicas have to have an orange tip by law. In the UK they have to come with silly-coloured plastic. Here - there are no enforced rules or laws about them.

In theory they are illegal - any gun using compressed air needs a firearm licence. But then riding a motorbike aged 13 is illegal. So is not having a licence . . .etc etc etc

(And on the same theme, I read on the internet a few days ago that Thailand is one of the world's best countries for anti-smoking legislation! The government here is not entirely stupid. Someone, a few years ago, must have caught on to the idea that all they have to do is to make thousands of laws, in order to gain international acceptance and be highly thought of by other nations. But . . . . . . . . . . . . .)

Realistic, aren't they . . .

airsoft.jpg

But if I shot you with one from 6 feet away the little plastic ball (weighs 1/10 of a gram) would just bounce off your skin.

(Try explaining that to the BIB who has just shot you with a real bullet, though . . . )

Yet another one to add to the list . . . .

R

What a fantastic guess! You truly are an amazing man! We can all sleep well in our beds now knowing that there is absolutely nothing to worry about! Thank you!!

Thank you for the complements, even though you appear to have not to have actually read what I wrote.

Either that or it was too tricky for you to grasp.

R

Edited by robsamui