Opening bank account with international debit card

nuyorican1985

As I have now permanently relocated here, I would like to open a bank account locally (or at least within SEA) with a safe, reliable bank that will enable me to receive a Visa debit card that can be used worldwide (as this seems to be the most prevalent ATM network). I will be depositing a sizable amount for use over the long-term, so I would like to have my account in whatever bank where it will be most secure over the long-term.

Does anyone know of a reliable, regional bank or branch of a large international bank (such as HSBC or Citi) located here in Thailand or prefereably in Malaysia, Singapore, or Hong Kong that will allow a non-resident to open an account and issue a Visa debit card the same day? I have my own reasons for not wanting the account to be based in my home country. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I can't comment on the ease of opening accounts with other SE Asian banks in Thailand, but you could open an account with Kasikorn Bank, a local Thai bank. As far as I am aware no residency or work permit is needed, a tourist visa in a valid passport is all that's required, and 200baht to open the account. A visa debit card will be issued to you on the spot which works for goods payment and ATM transactions worldwide, and on request they will make you one that works for online transactions too.

I can't comment on the ease of opening accounts with other SE Asian banks in Thailand, but you could open an account with Kasikorn Bank, a local Thai bank. As far as I am aware no residency or work permit is needed, a tourist visa in a valid passport is all that's required, and 200baht to open the account. A visa debit card will be issued to you on the spot which works for goods payment and ATM transactions worldwide, and on request they will make you one that works for online transactions too.

Is Kasikorn a bank with which you would feel comfortable leaving a large deposit (5-6 figures) for 5-10 years.

Is Kasikorn a bank with which you would feel comfortable leaving a large deposit (5-6 figures) for 5-10 years.

It is a highly regarded company ( but no sovereign guarantee, as with all Thai banks ). The debit card works well. English is pretty poor in many branches....some better than others

Agree with Prbkk's comments. They seem pretty competent if lacking in the language skills. Banks have come a long way in the 20 years I've been here and I've got no worries about depositing large sums with Kasikorn.

It is a highly regarded company ( but no sovereign guarantee, as with all Thai banks ). The debit card works well. English is pretty poor in many branches....some better than others

All Thai banks are covered by deposit insurance.