Vietnam tourism enjoys boom

craigt3365

inside-no-31.jpg

HANOI, 3 January 2014: Vietnam National Administration of Tourism estimates the country welcomed 722,349 international travellers in December representing an increase of 14.1% over the same month in 2012.

Thailand’s outbound trips to Vietnam ranked 10th with 27,053 improving 25.0% during the same month in 2012.

China continued to lead the field with 181,671 visits increasing 28.7% followed by South Korea, Japan, Malaysia and the United States.

Continued:

http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2014/01/vietnam-tourism-enjoys-boom/

ttrweekly-logo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's a lovely country with nice people and has none of the downmarket fleshpots like Pattaya.

One other aspect that makes it attractive is the relative lack of touts and rip off merchants you get in Thailand.

I love Saigon and Hanoi and I'll never tire of Halong Bay.

• Like 1

apologies if I spoke out of line, but I meant every word I said,that seaside heaven along the bay should not go the same way the coastal resorts in Thailand,51 years ago Thailands coastal regions and islands were near enuf like halong bay today, I know this because I was there!! so please don't let them ruin it!!!!!!

It's a lovely country with nice people and has none of the downmarket fleshpots like Pattaya.

One other aspect that makes it attractive is the relative lack of touts and rip off merchants you get in Thailand.

I've read that Halong Bay was the scene in a James Bond movie.

It looks quite beautiful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halong_Bay

I've read that Halong Bay was the scene in a James Bond movie.

It looks quite beautiful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halong_Bay

It certainly is a lovely area. Worth taking a two or three day trip one one of the junks and spending some time exploring the islands.

One of those place I want to visit again.HANOIampHALONG038_zps9124692b.jpgHANOIampHALONG034_zpsad483fab.jpg

• Like 1

How stupid charging for a visa. Give people 14-30 days free on arrival and watch the tourism skyrocket. Guess the Vietnamese are just as short sighted as the Thais.

A little bit, yes. But a Vietnamese visa is so EASY to procure and then you can also easily obtain 3-month multiple entry visas, and in some cases even 6 month or longer stay visas all without any special paperwork. A limited visa on arrival is available at Vietnamese international gateway airports if you apply in advance via an online travel agency (even the same day is OK). Extending a visa in-country is also quite straightforward.

So in a sense I wouldn't launch a tirade against the Vietnamese visa procedures because when weighed up overall, Vietnam makes it significantly easier than Thailand (except for short stays where Thailand is more convenient).

How stupid charging for a visa. Give people 14-30 days free on arrival and watch the tourism skyrocket. Guess the Vietnamese are just as short sighted as the Thais.

A little bit, yes. But a Vietnamese visa is so EASY to procure and then you can also easily obtain 3-month multiple entry visas, and in some cases even 6 month or longer stay visas all without any special paperwork. A limited visa on arrival is available at Vietnamese international gateway airports if you apply in advance via an online travel agency (even the same day is OK). Extending a visa in-country is also quite straightforward.

So in a sense I wouldn't launch a tirade against the Vietnamese visa procedures because when weighed up overall, Vietnam makes it significantly easier than Thailand (except for short stays where Thailand is more convenient).

But it ain't free is it? Hardly a tirade.

I agree that it is short sighted but its also a great little money maker and an easy patronage award for the government. (Immigration jobs reference)

And lets not forget about the opportunity for scams: official price is X but the real price is 2X, as in 1) over payment in another currency, 2) "No change" for larger notes, 3) VERY slow service until the scam amount is forthcoming.

A little bit, yes. But a Vietnamese visa is so EASY to procure and then you can also easily obtain 3-month multiple entry visas, and in some cases even 6 month or longer stay visas all without any special paperwork.

Does the Vietnam embassy in Bangkok issue "3-month multiple entry visas" for first time visitors to Vietnam?

I'd be interested in 3 or 6 months or longer.

Edited by oldthaihand99

I agree with jay sata, we will be in Hanoi after the 10th of march , and then halong bay via Vungtau for the fishing, mrs nig is on countdown as usual she loves it Vietnam ,

No snake stew please.

I wonder if the TAT is reading this with a jealous rage....

I agree with jay sata, we will be in Hanoi after the 10th of march , and then halong bay via Vungtau for the fishing, mrs nig is on countdown as usual she loves it Vietnam ,

No snake .

I wonder if the TAT is reading this with a jealous rage....

after eating anything that breaths in isaan,or meat pies in Australia , snake stewed or grilled is quite palatable!!wai.gif

• 1 month later...

A little bit, yes. But a Vietnamese visa is so EASY to procure and then you can also easily obtain 3-month multiple entry visas, and in some cases even 6 month or longer stay visas all without any special paperwork.

Does the Vietnam embassy in Bangkok issue "3-month multiple entry visas" for first time visitors to Vietnam?

I'd be interested in 3 or 6 months or longer.

For 3 months multiple entry Bkk is no problem but it's not cheap. For 6 months one or two of the online agents can help but only a small number do them - the price is also quite high.

I just got my VN 30 day visa at the Vietnamese embassy here in Bangkok. Cost was B2000 but took 5 days. I think next day service was B2700. Leaving on Sunday, 9 March. Any recommendations for a cheap hotel in HCMC for $20 or less? District 1 is ok.

Edited by Spaniel