Gprs In Ubon Province

sezzo

I have just moved out to the new house on the farm and as there is no phone line there or virtually no chance of getting a phone line in the near future I want to explore the chance of using GPRS at the farm for internet connection.

Firstly I have excellant mobile phone reception to the nearest repeater, being Khemarat, and I have a Nokia 7250 mobile phone which according to the owners manual is GPRS compatible.

My question is what do I need to do to gain the internet access and what costs are involved. I have searched the relevant forums for information and while there is a lot there I could not get the specific information that I require. I did in fact go to a mobile phone shop in Ubon city itself that is owned and run by a farang and asked him to explain what I need. He took my particulars and promised to call back in 2 hours but 3 days later no call received.

Is there anybody out there who can answer my query is simple straightforward language.

Thanks in advance

I have just moved out to the new house on the farm and as there is no phone line there or virtually no chance of getting a phone line in the near future I want to explore the chance of using GPRS at the farm for internet connection.

Firstly I have excellant mobile phone reception to the nearest repeater, being Khemarat, and I have a Nokia 7250 mobile phone which according to the owners manual is GPRS compatible.

My question is what do I need to do to gain the internet access and what costs are involved. I have searched the relevant forums for information and while there is a lot there I could not get the specific information that I require. I did in fact go to a mobile phone shop in Ubon city itself that is owned and run by a farang and asked him to explain what I need. He took my particulars and promised to call back in 2 hours but 3 days later no call received.

Is there anybody out there who can answer my query is simple straightforward language.

Thanks in advance

Yes you can for a monthly fee AIS has a sevice, get your wife to contact them for the full details.

Thanks in advance

I use GPRS to connect to the internet, All you need is a cable to connect the phone to the internet (I don’t think you’re phone has Bluetooth) and a package from you’re phone company, I use AIS and pay 100 baht for 25 hours a month.

As you’re phone is a Nokia you might also have to use Nokia pc suite.

An other option is to buy a GPRS modem which you put the sim card into and plug into a USB on you’re computer they cost about 6000 baht.

Edited by koratsteve

I use GPRS to connect to the internet, All you need is a cable to connect the phone to the internet (I don’t think you’re phone has Bluetooth) and a package from you’re phone company, I use AIS and pay 100 baht for 25 hours a month.

An other option is to buy a GPRS modem which you put the sim card into and plug into a USB on you’re computer they cost about 6000 baht.

Steve is correct on that Nokia not having bluetooth. Too bad. And personally I would avoid buying any GPRS modem. If you're going to spend the money, better to buy a new phone that is bluetooth capable. At least then you have a phone and an internet connection rather than just a modem (more value for your money :o )

I did bought a modem at Pan Tip plaza BKK, (so if neccary i can internet and call at the same time), an EagleTec pcmcia gsm/gprs card, model ET-GPRS-B, an AIS-simcard, an extra pre-paid card and it's working perfectly for me in Srisaket, it's not fast, like 114,5 kbs. and the reception is good (there is a faster one). but i'm a happy man to can do my things, check mail, some banking.

I hope you have better luck than I had. I live in the boonies of Loei province. I tried AIS and D-Tac. I tried infra red and blue tooth. I went so far as to spend 9,500 baht on a USB Solomon modem. They all sucked. I finally got Ipstar installed. It's nothing to brag about either but it is much better than TRYING to use GPRS.

• 2 weeks later...

Steve is correct on that Nokia not having bluetooth. Too bad. And personally I would avoid buying any GPRS modem. If you're going to spend the money, better to buy a new phone that is bluetooth capable. At least then you have a phone and an internet connection rather than just a modem (more value for your money :o )

Ken, how much was te IPSTAR and where did you get it? Thanks, Issangeorge

Whoops. I think you miss-understood my post. I don't have IPSTAR. I use my mobile phone and connect with my computer via bluetooth. I'm still hearing too many horror stories about IPSTAR, so at this point I'm unwilling to pay the "premium" for it. I think the price is about 2500 per month plus an installation fee of several thousand Baht. There is a somewhat new "internet cafe" (game room really) that has just opened in the village. He has IPSTAR and I still get people who stop at my house asking if they can use my internet as the "cafe" is not working or not working well. I have to tell them no (usually), I'm not in the business. :o

Whoops. I think you miss-understood my post. I don't have IPSTAR. I use my mobile phone and connect with my computer via bluetooth. I'm still hearing too many horror stories about IPSTAR, so at this point I'm unwilling to pay the "premium" for it. I think the price is about 2500 per month plus an installation fee of several thousand Baht. There is a somewhat new "internet cafe" (game room really) that has just opened in the village. He has IPSTAR and I still get people who stop at my house asking if they can use my internet as the "cafe" is not working or not working well. I have to tell them no (usually), I'm not in the business. :D

I have IpStar, it was a few thousand to install then there are a couple of options for monthly fee. I think the standard one is about 2500 as you mentioned, I pay 4000 for the faster service. So far I am happy with it, my only complaint is the modem has a noisy fan so I switch it off when I am not using it. Later I will move the modem into the roof so I can't hear it, and then I can leave it on 24/7.

I was surprised how neat the installation was, cables hidden in the roof and neatly run down the corner of the wall.

I got it through a shop in Ubon Ratchathani, service was very good. I bought a computer from there too. If anyone needs details of the shop let me know and I will search for the receipt :o

• 4 weeks later...

I just thought I would provide an update on my GPRS/internet situation. After mulling over the situation with the old phone (2 years old) I decided after speaking to a guy in Panthip Plaza that I would buy a new phone.

I bought a Nokia 3230 which has infrared and bluetooth capabilities and went to the AIS office in Ubon where the very nice lady set my notebook and phone up for internet use. Due to my notebook not having bluetooth capability I had to buy a USB cable for the computer (550 baht).

Since being back on the farm the wife has never seen me smile so much. From 40 kbps on landline at the mother in laws place to 460 kbps on my new phone. To say that I am as happy as a pig in s##t is an understatement.

Thanks to all that posted advice and comments

:o:D:D

:o Glad things worked out for you on the GPRS. Just to mention it, but instead of a cable you probably could have added a USB "bluetooth dongle" to your computer and used your bluetooth phone. The "dongle" cost varies, depending on what and where you buy. I've seen them from 600 Baht to 1,300 Baht. The one I buy is 850 Baht. :D

• 1 month later...

If you have True (Orange) in your area, sign a contract.

With contract they offer unlimited GPRS at 350/month, 7 days 90 Bt, 1 day 15 Bt.

You can activate the 1 and 7 days by sending an SMS to 8555 (text: g1 for 1 day, g7 for 7 days).

You will be notified some seconds later about the activation, and again after expiry.

And they seem to give you an extra day, so 7 days means 8, and 1day=2. 2 days unlimited at 15bt is a bargain.

The speed (in Khon Kaen) is quite good, compared to AIS.

I can somewhat understand the desire to require a contract for monthly service, paid in advance. But it sure would be nice to have the ability to SMS for the 1-day or 7-day service from an Orange pre-paid SIM card. That would be tempting to try Orange pre-paid vice AIS 1-2-Call on my typical short visits.

Please - Please - Please - Please

:o

kenk3z