is now a good time to bring some GBP over?

I'm grateful to Zao for his explanation, not necessarily that I think it provides all the right answers but it did give me a better picture of possible events around the start of and leading up to November 2008, it's also remarkable refreshing to see a supportable analysis for a rare change rather than just, "Hooorrraayyyy, I can afford another Chang this month" and/or "I'm pretty certain it'll be 70 by February" but I have no idea why!

Regardless, I think I'll stick with the picture I have regarding exchange rates, I continue to think that GBP is too strong for the UK's own good and I believe that THB will surprise to the upside. My earlier guess of 57 as a floor looks like it could be threatened but I'll stick with it, why? Because everyone now seems to be going into a feeding frenzy about how bad the situation in Bangkok might get and that has not happened in the past three periods of unrest, there's a good chance that opinion now verges of hysteria (both Thai and farang). FWIW I'm fairly certain this whole piece will end with the army on the streets, again, and that shortly thereafter, near normal service will be resumed, we're probably not more than two weeks away from the first part, I think.

The custom made tin foil hat business has slumped, potential customer base has gone to ground and can't be found anywhere, no "perfect storm", no "70 baht per Pound", how could it all go so horribly wrong I wonder! giggle.gif

More seriously: I wonder what percentage of people wanting to change Pounds into Baht did so and how many are still waiting etc? My guess is that most are still waiting and are now getting very nervous.

• 3 weeks later...

You have an option to avoid currency exchange risk when transfers money from UK into Thailand. Your can ask Bangkok Bank to set up a non- resident Foreign Currency Deposit Account - GBP for you to receive the money transferred from UK. You can manage your GBP currency by withdrawing in baht whenever the exchange rate suites you. The bank don't charge you an exchange fee when withdrawing in baht.

A foreign currency account can be opened as a savings, fixed deposit or current account and can be accessed online via Bualuang iBanking to view account balances and transfer funds into your local baht account.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Accounts/ForeignCurrencyAccount/Pages/Default.aspx

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The following is a pretty scary article written by a well known UK based financial and economic consulting company, it's highly controversial in its findings but definitely worth a read because, as Jeremy Warner points out, it answers a number of previously unanswered questions:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jeremywarner/100026625/want-a-scary-view-of-where-the-economy-is-heading-well-here-it-is/

If parts of the report are correct in its findings, the value of GBP is going to fall and that's a view shared by many different sources.

An interesting picture of Chinese external debt, it seems that British banks hold nearly a quarter of it:

china-ambrose_2820246c.jpg

The story is here, read it if you'd like to understand the link between the UK banking system and the economy of China:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/10634339/World-asleep-as-China-tightens-deflationary-vice.html

One inflammatory post removed also the quoted reply

In using Thai Visa I agree:

1) To respect fellow members.

4) Not to flame fellow members.Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.

A case study example would be if I have agreed to purchase a Thai property for 3 million baht and the contract needs to be completed within the next three months, would I change my sterling into baht now or wait 3 months? My inclination would be to change a minimum of 50% now.

• Like 1

Personally--53.65, or whatever it is--seems pretty attractive to me; but moving 50% is more sensible.

I didn't think it would go much over 52--so, what do I know.

I mean 53.49--the other higher quotes are Super Rich, or similar.

Edited by haybilly