Dengue Fever Outbreak In Chaiyaphum Province

Jai Dee

Dengue fever outbreak in Chaiyaphum Province

Serious outbreaks of dengue fever have been reported in Chaiyaphum Province from the start of 2006, with 34 current patients. Heavy concentrations of dengue fever outbreaks are also reported in the provincial municipal area.

Authorities in Chaiyaphum Province are conducting mosquito spraying in various areas of the province in order to destroy the breeding ground, following a recent outbreak of dengue fever, with 21 children being afflicted with the disease since the start of this month.

There are currently 34 hospitalized patients, with seven in the Chaiyaphum municipal area.

The Chaiyaphum Public Health Office is currently ordering all public health officials in the province to conduct spraying of mosquitoes in all districts.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 18 May 2006

Mosquitos like me too. May be the blood sugar levels?

Dengue fever is unpleasant to say the least and if in Chaiyaphum will spread unless controlled.

A Mossy bites a Dengue infected person and then bites you and thats how you get it.

High Fever,body rashes,severe headaches,pain- behind the eyes,in muscles and joints should be investigated immediately.

One question for the Korat Expats Club to address is what are their local government agency doing about controlling mosquitos especially after the rainy season.

Of course someone Political in Thailand is making big money from anti -Mosquito sprays and is not interested in their control.

Korat Correct

Another angle your expats club may be interested in is the work going on to get a Dengue Vaccine to market.

I was at a presentation 2 weeks ago where a Thailand Country Medical Director for a very large pharma spoke about the Degue situation and the clinical trials for a vaccine in Thailand - very interesting.

I think I heard correctly when she said 100% of Thai adults had antibodies to at least one of the 4 main Dengue sub-types.

Prakanong I've heard that about people having antibodies. I've also heard that some have resistance to Malaria.

I guess the dengue problem is big this year. Last year there was a bit more rain than in the previous few years so maybe that has somethign to do with it.

I once asked a Thai doctor why people don't use more aspirin here. If I remember right he said that if you have dengue fever and take aspirin it will make it worse. Anyone heard of this?

Prakanong I've heard that about people having antibodies. I've also heard that some have resistance to Malaria.

I guess the dengue problem is big this year. Last year there was a bit more rain than in the previous few years so maybe that has somethign to do with it.

I once asked a Thai doctor why people don't use more aspirin here. If I remember right he said that if you have dengue fever and take aspirin it will make it worse. Anyone heard of this?

Problems from dengue include bleeding, aspirin makes you more prone to bleeding, so the bleeding asscoiated with dengue can be far worse in people taking aspirin for pain control.