History shows a way out of the Thai conflict

sabaijai

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, well that's food for thought. Explains the logic of the simple "get out" demand a bit more than was previously known.

I hope within the cultural framework there is an option to fit the future desires of investment and growth though, as we are way past the 70's in regards to development and infrastructure, and sadly modern money can have very bad manners and very strict rules.

I think the understanding in elite level society is there to adapt to changes but if that's the mindset as to how to expect a solution to be brokered, then I think it's a long shot to believe anyone with anything invested in PTP will let their position of influence wane voluntarily. Might be this test to break the mould and try to counter and nullify, not remove, the threat that matures and unites society for the better.

A seriously useful and (I believe) well-balanced Original Post.

I can't help but think though that Suthep (with Abhisit's blessing, if not proactive support - at least not visibly!!) will become increasingly desperate as he knows, in his heart of hearts, that their best hope to usurp power is via a military coup.

And the most likely way for that to occur is for him to up the ante and provoke or even initiate violence on the streets of Bangkok.

Just my two-penn'orth.

This, too, I found to be an interesting read:

CBC Report, issued today.

Edited by SebD
  • Like 1

A breath of fresh air to read a factual and unbiased peice contrary to most of the rubbish written in the Thai English papers, and opposed to most of the foreign reporting that sounds like the writers have just arrived yesterday. Everyone can get the mind working and learn a bit from this peice!

• Like 1

Many Western media reports on this touchy Thai political topics in the last, say 10 years or so, and find themselves being attacked by Thais or whomever for not being accurate or being biased. I'm wondering then is it the goal of the reporters to write theirs stories so everyone is happy (but inaccurate) or is it better to write what they know is the truth (and sometimes get unhappy readers)?

A fine piece of writing and a good in site into Thailand's people and it's nation, however through out history there has been rewrites and I think we will see one here in Thailand , the script is there the out comes are a little more harder to find, one thing is for sure , Thailand cannot continue in the direction as it has been following , there needs to be a complete turn around in attitudes across the community , for this to happen , knowing the human species as I do this will not be an easy task ,it will take courage , dedication and a mature outlook towards each other , until this comes about Thailand will always be in conflict , thanks to Thaskin Shinawatra.coffee1.gif

This is a real masterpiece...Thank you wai2.gif

Quotation: "The legitimators hope to preserve the Thailand they know from Thaksin's import of alien values. And for them this matter is supremely urgent, because coming changes at the apex of Thai society may make their goal impossible."

The uncontroled capitalism, the lack of ethics and the degeneration of society are a few of these "alien values". Now it is a historical chance for Thailand, thanks Taksin, he show them what they not want.

• Like 1

Many Western media reports on this touchy Thai political topics in the last, say 10 years or so, and find themselves being attacked by Thais or whomever for not being accurate or being biased. I'm wondering then is it the goal of the reporters to write theirs stories so everyone is happy (but inaccurate) or is it better to write what they know is the truth (and sometimes get unhappy readers)?

The Nation has an emotion-level survey on their website.

I clicked on 'happy' but I was lying to save face.

A clearly well read guy that knows his stuff however a couple of things spring to mind.

1) Any article that talks of the writer in the third person stinks of egotism and self righteousness. The guy clearly has a high opinion of himself.

2) The writer states

Understanding the possibilities for the future may be clearer with this explanation of the real motives of the participants

Yet he only analyses in depth the motives of one of the participants, he doesnt even mention Suthep who for most now is seen as the real obstacle to progress.

Sadly like every article written either in Thai or English on the subject it is so woefully one sided as to be deemed useless. To give a real analysis of the situation he needs to move beyond a biography of Thaskin and look at the other forces at work.

The truth is the reason we dont have calm on the streets now is the total failure of the yellow side to put forward a genuine alternative that can appeal to the masses. With growing anger of non payment of rice subsidies and the amnesty bill, the gap between Thaskin and the red shirts was there to be exploited. Instead they have put forward firebrand Suthep who has caused an even bigger rift.

A good read nonetheless but try again with a bit more objectivity and analyse the main organiser of the protests and just maybe you`ll have a decent article.

This is a real masterpiece...Thank you wai2.gif

Quotation: "The legitimators hope to preserve the Thailand they know from Thaksin's import of alien values. And for them this matter is supremely urgent, because coming changes at the apex of Thai society may make their goal impossible."

The uncontroled capitalism, the lack of ethics and the degeneration of society are a few of these "alien values". Now it is a historical chance for Thailand, thanks Taksin, he show them what they not want.

No Thaksin didnt need to show them that. Thailand already has uncontrolled capitalism and has done for decades, your talking about real democracy as the people gain a voice and confidence that makes some uncomfortable. he did open the door and eyes of the rural poor though and they in turn have worked abroad, lived abroad married those from abroad, had their children educated there or influenced by it, the internet shows them this every day, even the imported korean soaps etc show people what is possible as a standard and they want it too.

They might want uncorrupt police that actually help when needed, or actually serve and protect. They might want a constitution that lasts more than a term, They might want courts to carry out full justice and weight of the law on one and all, high or low. People might want human traffickers stopped or the navy or whatever forces involved to be fully investigated and tried in court. Women may want better protection from domestic violence, children may want the right to some support from ex fathers or also safety from being beaten by both parents. illegal workers may want some human rights. Last of all they might want a political system that truly represents a free choice and for the political elite to be more honest whatever the party also to respect their vote and the position granted them.

Lastly as ethics go there are indeed some that serve well and should be taken up by other cultures especially the family value, but not maybe the requirement to do as the eldest wishes, plenty of elder siblings ruining youngers lives out there as well as providing for,

im sure also childrens respect for elders is all very welcome for ease of living but unless its tempered with encouraging curiosity and asking questions it dosnt make for individual or critical thinkers and it definitely needs more of those. it allows perspective and reasoning coupled with debate and some understanding or trying to see the others position.

There are many things the world has learned both good and bad as its moved forwards, which is how a country grows and matures. Thailand is still in its infancy but its long past needing the bottle it needs to stand up and take its place amongst the adult nations but seems rather insecure doing so under the current system as its always got someone telling them they arnt ready or smart enough or the wrong colour skin etc etc etc ......

• Like 2

While that aspect exists, such superficiality misses other planes of the conflict, obscuring how it might end in a way consistent with Thai culture and history.

So come on then. Explain how money and corruption aren't part of thai culture and that this story is so uniquely thai that they don't apply.

Great article to help explain a lot of Thainess, Thai Culture, and History that many Foreigners don't understand.

I don't fel the article was "Biased".

Instead, it was a good cultural and history awareness lesson for non-Thai's

The Solution and Answers to what will happen are all up to the Thai People.

Edited by KimoMax
  • Like 2

About "their "cultural values" and ingrained perception of their own superiority."

Although I'm not a social scientist, here's one concrete example that I've observed in the last 15 years when I visited friends in Bangkok. These friends may be described as upper middle class people that you would commonly meet in Bangkok. Many are foreign educated, compound living, pdnp (public display of nose picking), european cars, etc.

This is what I've heard often from the owner of the compound regarding househould maids: "Oh, it's not like it used to be. Thai servants are so hard to find these days... Now we can only find Burmese servants and they are not safe." If you grew up in Thailand, Bangkok a while back, you remember that many homes have servants that do everything. They cook, clean, take care of the babies and kids, teach, laudry, drive, gardening, etc. It's also common that they become the mistress of the head of household. It's not just one servant, but it's their entire family that live in the maid quarter. And it's not just this family, but it's their ancestors that the house "owns." This way of life is changing for the upper middle class. Now the servants are proactive and they see that they are actually equal to the rest of their country people.

Isnt it the same in the USA...

If you want to say, its a rural wake up to follow a criminal rich, I must say, you wrong.

The way is the goal...