What goods/products sold in bangkok are better than your home country?

ultimate weapon

Hard to say without knowing your country!

Personally I prefer shopping in the west for price and quality.

You can't return anything in Thailand and there's many fakes.

That said; I got some cheap - and not fake - sports clothes in MBK around the time of the credit crunch.

• Like 1

the question is not really "what is better".

Top quality can be found for nearly everything in Western countries.

The question is what is better for the same price OR what is cheaper for the same quality.

Another question is availability in Western countries.

Edited by manarak

have to agree with Imfao on his last post , but there are also foods that can't be found that i like such as that sugar ridden coconut yogurt . And the tropical fruits are so much cheaper - i can buy a kilo of mangosteen for the same price as a single one in Sydney. And durian - nobody will stock that in the fruit shops unless it is uncut so you have to buy a whole one at a exorbinant price whereas in the street in Thailand you can get the best durian for a very reasonable amount. Jackfruit - same story.

What i have in mind bringing home from our trip to Samui/Bangkok.

Panko bread crumbs,

Tempura flour,

Various seasonings for thaifood.

Palm sugar.

All 4 things a lot cheaper in Thailand than here in Denmark.

Maybe not the normal things to bring home, but most likely also end up buying some of the usual tourist T-shirts with imprints from Samui and Bangkok.

Last year bought some cool beads in China town, for making plaice fishing lures and in

MBK we bought a couple of very cool and very large seashell mobiles.

1 of them is more than 1 meter tall and weighs 4 Kg, and i can't imagine what it would cost here in DK compared to BK.

@Mr.Buffalo

Not sure what else it's called. Maybe some sort of chime or dreamcatcher?

Tried to take a picture of it, but nighttime here so picture maybe not so good, but should give you idea what i mean.

The big one is bought in MBK last year and smaller one bought the year before on Koh Tan.

ku9n.jpg

@Mr.Buffalo

Not sure what else it's called. Maybe some sort of chime or dreamcatcher?

Tried to take a picture of it, but nighttime here so picture maybe not so good, but should give you idea what i mean.

The big one is bought in MBK last year and smaller one bought the year before on Koh Tan.

ku9n.jpg

I think we call them Windchimes in the UK.

ink tank for printer and ink very good deal- dual video cards for computer 1,000 installed with warranty-price of movie tickets 120-150 baht good deal-simple nokia phones 600 baht good deal-car maintenance at toyota at dealership-international school prices for children good value-these are all the prices that stand out to me. simple clothes. inexpensive.

It is a struggle beyond food. Tailor made suits are definitely cheaper, but it's hit and miss. I've got one superb one, a couple of OK ones, and at least one that is worse than off-the-peg suits for a similar price back home (UK).

There's a fantastic nut and bolt shop near me that sells just about every imaginable at reasonable prices. Don't know of anything similar in my home town.

Other than that I'm really struggling.

Motorcycle spare parts, especially if your bike is thai made and 90-150cc - I think the last time I had a tyre and tube changed, the chain adjusted and oiled and a few minor things done - B500, total. OK, that was in Chiang Mai, and not Bangkok, but I don't think it would be much different.

Some restaurant meals, depending on where you go.

Edited by dundas

Fruits and vegetables. Cheaper and better than the Mexican, Florida and California grown produce in the USA.

We must not have the selection in pattaya as Bkk. All I can say tomatoes, lettuce, apples and oranges are better and cheaper in the USA IMHO

• Like 1

Quality wooden items (like in Baan Tawai) - made to order teak furniture - custom made shirts / materials......fruit.......entertainment.....smiles.....meals.....mechanical service work.....pharmaceuticals.....some shoes if you have the right sized feet (I don't).....backpacks.....medical care.....movies (cleaner theaters too).....custom made items.....housing.....elecrical service.....memories.....cell phone rates.....car insurance.....professional services.....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 1