Thai South hit hard by PDRC Bangkok shutdown campaign

webfact

South hit hard by PDRC shutdown campaign
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A huge number of offices in Thailand's southern provinces have been in limbo over the past week in response to the 'shutdown' call by the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC).

The protest has seen state offices closed or hit by work stoppages, as the PDRC has urged supporters to undertake a campaign of civil disobedience to help bring down the national government.

PDRC supporters, as a result, have blocked access to provincial halls in Phang Nga, Phatthalung, Surat Thani, Songkhla, and Nakhon Si Thammarat. Government services at the halls have been brought to a halt.

Govt agencies shut down

In Ranong, more than 60 government agencies and offices of local administrative organisations have shut down under pressure from PDRC demonstrators, who kept campaigning across the province for days.

In Chumphon, most government officials stopped coming to work although their offices remained open.

In Phuket, very few officials were seen at their offices as most of their colleagues headed to Bangkok to help with the PDRC-led 'Bangkok Shutdown'.

The PDRC has occupied major intersections in the capital since Monday in a bid to force caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to stand down.

Only four of the 14 southern provinces - Krabi, Pattani, Narathiwat and Yala - have seen government officials come to work as usual this week.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-18

The absence of officials from their posts, in any part of the country, without any significant change in service level or efficiency, undelines the well-known point: Thailand has one of the most useless bloated bureaucracies in the world. If half of them never return to work, the budget savings would be significant

Pleased to see you can talk sense too occasionally.

• Like 1

I do believe that the South will survive with out those officials.

Oh and you seriously believe government officials in Bangkok work faster/are more competent? I've had my case with the Attorney General's office alone for the past year and a half. saai.gif

Well, we now have clear evidence as to why some anti corruption initiatives in Phuket were never followed through. The local officials. refuse to co-operate with Bangkok. The attempt to stop the encroachment on national forests, to stop illegal developments, to halt the trafficking of refugees, to protect the environment, to break the public transport cartel all sabotaged by these government officials. Maybe people will now understand that the corruption in the south is made in the south and controlled in the south. It doesn't matter who is in charge in Bangkok, whether it is a general, Abhisit or Yingluck, these government officials will do whatever it takes to protect their lucrative sidelines. These "public servants" took it upon themselves to go and protest, abandoning their positions. Ideally, they should be sacked, but it won't happen.

The south is the stronghold of Suthep and he is the Democrat party in the regions listed. I have long criticized Abhisit for his failure to clean up the south. Now it becomes obvious that he never had a chance. Suthep country, Suthep rules and the the provincial rule of Suthep and his pals while delivering votes and seats to the Democrats is what has blocked it from ever taking on a leadership role and of making a difference.

GK, stick to what you know about, that clearly excludes the South. I live in the South and 90% of people think Suthep is as mad as a bucket of frogs. This is NOT 'Suthep' country, it is a part of the country that simply hates Thaksin , Shinclan and PTP with a venom, and to be honest, who can blame them, they have a rather robust argument!

Clearly that says it all doesn't it? They don't follow him because they believe in him, they follow him because they think they can get rid of the Shinawatras, no matter the cost and the fact that they are doing more damage to the country than he does. Oh the irony and wisdom of the simple minded.

Oh and you seriously believe government officials in Bangkok work faster/are more competent? I've had my case with the Attorney General's office alone for the past year and a half. saai.gif

No.

I don't think that many officials at all in this country produce anything else than enriching themselves trough bribes and various scams. How many times have you had a great service when visiting any of the various Thai authorities? I can't remember any time during the last 30 years that I have been smiling and thought that I had received a great service after walking out from a government run office.

Well, we now have clear evidence as to why some anti corruption initiatives in Phuket were never followed through. The local officials. refuse to co-operate with Bangkok. The attempt to stop the encroachment on national forests, to stop illegal developments, to halt the trafficking of refugees, to protect the environment, to break the public transport cartel all sabotaged by these government officials. Maybe people will now understand that the corruption in the south is made in the south and controlled in the south. It doesn't matter who is in charge in Bangkok, whether it is a general, Abhisit or Yingluck, these government officials will do whatever it takes to protect their lucrative sidelines. These "public servants" took it upon themselves to go and protest, abandoning their positions. Ideally, they should be sacked, but it won't happen.

The south is the stronghold of Suthep and he is the Democrat party in the regions listed. I have long criticized Abhisit for his failure to clean up the south. Now it becomes obvious that he never had a chance. Suthep country, Suthep rules and the the provincial rule of Suthep and his pals while delivering votes and seats to the Democrats is what has blocked it from ever taking on a leadership role and of making a difference.

GK, stick to what you know about, that clearly excludes the South. I live in the South and 90% of people think Suthep is as mad as a bucket of frogs. This is NOT 'Suthep' country, it is a part of the country that simply hates Thaksin , Shinclan and PTP with a venom, and to be honest, who can blame them, they have a rather robust argument!

Now now explain how he manage to get so many people from the south to join him? Their hatred for the PTP seems to be too weak a reason.. other than the fact like what GK mentioned, the Democrat Party and anyone associated with the Democrat are hugely popular in the south (Don't discount Suthep on that).

The point here is, many people thinks that more than half of Thailand hates PTP and support Mr. Suthep's plan. But take a look at the protest. If I go around and check all their ID card, I can assure you most of them have their electoral division in the south.

So what's you point again?

Now now explain how he manage to get so many people from the south to join him? Their hatred for the PTP seems to be too weak a reason.. other than the fact like what GK mentioned, the Democrat Party and anyone associated with the Democrat are hugely popular in the south (Don't discount Suthep on that).

The point here is, many people thinks that more than half of Thailand hates PTP and support Mr. Suthep's plan. But take a look at the protest. If I go around and check all their ID card, I can assure you most of them have their electoral division in the south.

Read in a slow pace as I believe the issue is clear. My point is...The people in the South detest Thaksin, Shinclan and the PTP with a venom. Clear now?

• Like 1

Read in a slow pace as I believe the issue is clear. My point is...The people in the South detest Thaksin, Shinclan and the PTP with a venom. Clear now?

So what. The south is less than 16 million people. And that includes Many Muslims. Thailand population is approx. 64 million.

No.

I don't think that many officials at all in this country produce anything else than enriching themselves trough bribes and various scams. How many times have you had a great service when visiting any of the various Thai authorities? I can't remember any time during the last 30 years that I have been smiling and thought that I had received a great service after walking out from a government run office.

In my 8 years in Thailand I have always had great service from Immigration in both Pattaya and now in Bangkok. I also had great service at the Land Ofice in Pattaya when buying our house and at the Amphur in Banglamung when getting our marriage certificate. No bribes paid or asked for.

Edited by moradave

How many times have you had a great service when visiting any of the various Thai authorities?

Every time I have had the pleasure of going to Immigration, Land Transprtation Office or Land Registry Office in Khon Kaen.

Always friendly helpful people dealing with me. Never any backhanders required - or expected!

Perhaps because it is PT territory not democrat, but more probably because they are E-san people NOT Siamese people.

The absence of officials from their posts, in any part of the country, without any significant change in service level or efficiency, undelines the well-known point: Thailand has one of the most useless bloated bureaucracies in the world. If half of them never return to work, the budget savings would be significant

Good idea. Allocate these savings to the unpaid rice farmers.

This is a long-term problem, and one of the many things that will not be solved by the election in two weeks - one other being that there will not be enough MPs to open parliament. At present, eight Southern provinces in Thailand will not be voting on February 2. But there are many more Southern provinces that are experiencing significant disruption of services, due to the protests. An election is not going to change that sentiment. In the north, the rice farmers are beginning to join the PDRC protests. That sentiment will not suddenly disappear on February 2 either, especially since the farmers will not have been paid. The people of Bangkok will not suddenly change their minds on February 2 either. And the NACC investigations will most certainly continue.

What will change, though, on February 2, is that the administration will be officially in a state of perpetual dissolution, unable to govern, pass policy, or release gravy-train monies. They will be completely frozen. Immobile.

Edited by Scamper

If Thaksin stopped breathing tomorrow, there would be a massive party down here, and I'm not in the deep south.

• Like 1

No.

In my 8 years in Thailand I have always had great service from Immigration in both Pattaya and now in Bangkok. I also had great service at the Land Ofice in Pattaya when buying our house and at the Amphur in Banglamung when getting our marriage certificate. No bribes paid or asked for.

Where I live the local immigration official always ask for "coffee money" after you have received your documents, Maybe I am living in the wrong province?

• Like 1