Advice Needed To Import Decent German Wine To Thailand....

Hello and Sasdee khrap,

Wine's being cultivated since many hundred years in my German city of origin. The idea is pretty simple, but considering Thai laws also very difficult.

I'd like to import finest German wine to Thailand. That wine's first class and through my connections, born in this city and well -known by the city's major etc..

I'd like to get in touch with Tesco Lotus, Makro and Big-C, as they'll be my main target to sell wine and quality successful. My German business partners will do all that container(s) will arrive in Bangkok.

I'm trying to find the easiest way regarding distribution of our delicious wine in Thailand.Any useful input would be deeply appreciated.-wai2.gif

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sarcasm aside, there's a lot of work to be done..

Set up and register company with DBD.

If you're going to be working for this company, you'll need a work permit...

You'll also need a liquor license from the Excise Department

Logistics, once the product has landed at the Port, how will you clear it and then where will you warehouse the stock...

Why on earth would you restrict yourself to Tesco, Makro and Big C? Especially if the wine is as good as you claim, does it have a reputation or recognition from the industry?

Taxes are high for European wine, given that your targeted demographic is retail supermarkets, I can't see this being feasible...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

It is curious that one regularly sees wines here from every major wine producing country with the sole exception of Germany. Given that the sweeter German wines are often "starter wines" for people not used to drinking wine I would have thought that they would potentially be successful here. There must be some specific reason for this obvious gap in the Thai market.

It is curious that one regularly sees wines here from every major wine producing country with the sole exception of Germany. Given that the sweeter German wines are often "starter wines" for people not used to drinking wine I would have thought that they would potentially be successful here. There must be some specific reason for this obvious gap in the Thai market.

I agree with your statement, except that U.S. wines are very restricted here as well. As a Professor of Wine in California colleges, I search for, but can hardly afford the few California wines that I can find in Thailand. Concerning your statement about German wines being "starter wines", I agree only in the context that German wines retain a lot of their sweetness, which people raised on "Coke" & "Pepsi" find very enjoyable. Past that point, Germany makes so many excellent wines that it is hard for them to be just considered "starter wines". Some very great Rieslings that everyone should enjoy, among others. The U.S., because of climate, cannot duplicate these fine wines.

• Like 1

"sweeter German wines are starter wines" = best joke of the day cheesy.gif

joke aside... sweet German wines do exist. but you have to shell out quite a bunch of Baht for a sweet German wine such as a "Beerenauslese" a "Trockenbeerauslese" or an "Eiswein".

recently i bought a dozen bottles of "Eiswein" from a local company run by a well known TV-member (website mentioned above). price of one bottle (375ml) 1,900 Baht which equals ~5,000 Baht for one litre.

• Like 2

Many of the cheaper wines (QbA, QmP as was, Kabinett) are also sweet. QbA wines can legally be made with added sugar (chaptalisation).

Probably the best selling style of German wine in the UK is Liebfraumilch - an easy to drink beverage for people who don't really like (or understand) wine. So referring to sweeter wines as "starter wines" was not meant as a joke - they appeal to the less sophisticated palate. I rather doubt that many of the UK's Liebfraumilch drinkers would appreciate, for example, a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc or a German Diabetikerwien.

• Like 1

Many of the cheaper wines (QbA, QmP as was, Kabinett) are also sweet. QbA wines can legally be made with added sugar (chaptalisation).

Probably the best selling style of German wine in the UK is Liebfraumilch - an easy to drink beverage for people who don't really like (or understand) wine. So referring to sweeter wines as "starter wines" was not meant as a joke - they appeal to the less sophisticated palate. I rather doubt that many of the UK's Liebfraumilch drinkers would appreciate, for example, a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc or a German Diabetikerwien.

"Probably the best selling style of German wine in the UK is Liebfraumilch - an easy to drink beverage for people who don't really like (or understand) wine."

correct! definitely an "el cheapo" wine which is mainly exported because the aberage German wine drinker wouldn't touch it. whether it can be called "sweet" is a matter of individual taste.

Last year I was in Perl a small German town at the border where Germany, Luxembourg and France meet...the local wines in the restaurants were fantastic.

So I hope you succeed, but keep in mind : "in the international business the easy things have already been done by the others"

The question is what the average Tesco or BigC customer is willing to pay for this finest German wine.

If your purchase price is Euro 10 (pretty low wholesale estimate for a decent bottle) then that makes the landed price in Thailand around Euro 50 per bottle (400+% in duties and shipping). Now add your profit margin (30%?) and reseller margin (30%?) and the price on the shelf becomes close to THB 4000. Seems rather steep for a German wine....

400% duty ? link please

The question is what the average Tesco or BigC customer is willing to pay for this finest German wine.

If your purchase price is Euro 10 (pretty low wholesale estimate for a decent bottle) then that makes the landed price in Thailand around Euro 50 per bottle (400+% in duties and shipping). Now add your profit margin (30%?) and reseller margin (30%?) and the price on the shelf becomes close to THB 4000. Seems rather steep for a German wine....

400% duty ? link please

Wine Duties.jpg

Thank you for providing the link for me. But didn't the excise tax recently increase? Or was that just for beer? In that case total tax burden will now likely be over 400%.

I drank lots of fine wines in Europe. A good Pomerol for just Euro 30 for example. But I refuse to pay the same here in Thailand for a bottle of crap that would have cost Euro 3,50 in Europe.

• Like 2

400% duty ? link please

attachicon.gifWine Duties.jpg

Jeez. That hurts.

400% duty ? link please

Wine Duties.jpg

Thank you for providing the link for me. But didn't the excise tax recently increase? Or was that just for beer? In that case total tax burden will now likely be over 400%.

I drank lots of fine wines in Europe. A good Pomerol for just Euro 30 for example. But I refuse to pay the same here in Thailand for a bottle of crap that would have cost Euro 3,50 in Europe.

the figures i posted are from 2010, excise duty on alcohol was raised twice in the meantime.

The last increase caused my favorite bottle of wine to jump from 320B to 420B per bottle. Sucks.

To be fair though, that's not too bad really...

Since the new tax increase came into effect, I've seen some cheap stuff go up and some expensive stuff go down and middle of the market stuff stay the same...

You win some and you lose some I guess...

It sounds like you favor the wine from your wine growing region. However, you'd like to import the "finest German wine." Firstly, there are 13 wine growing regions in Germany. The same grape variety in one region can taste significantly different than the same variety, like Riesling, from another region. Also, there are a great number of classifications that range from early harvest to very late harvest wines, and even those that are harvested at the time of the first frost. Perhaps you'd want to investigate wine consumers' preferences in Thailand i.e. Needs Analysis, before you undertake a business venture. Best of luck.

400% duty ? link please

It's more like 450% now after the recent increase.

forget it,aldi and lidl's are coming to Thailand.

That true? I've never heard of it before.

They won't be able to reduce the import duties though.

I had been watching that program"JUST KIDDING" we had a lidl store 100yds from us in the uk. my mrs.is a fully paid up member.

I had been watching that program"JUST KIDDING" we had a lidl store 100yds from us in the uk. my mrs.is a fully paid up member.

In the UK, you need to pay and become a member before you can go to Lidl? Must be quite an exclusive shop.

scnr

• Like 1

In the UK, you need to pay and become a member before you can go to Lidl? Must be quite an exclusive shop.

scnr

when lidl and aldi first came to the uk.not many shoppers went there as most of the brands were unknown,but now they have hit sh-t out of the big boys as people realized that they sold quality at below prices,that included a lot of imported wines,i think with the amount of tax on imported wines,spirits and not forgetting my cider the op is up against it right from the start.i am not a prolific wine drinker but I like the mont clair white and red which in fact comes from south Africa and at only around 450bht.for a 2ltr.bottle is very good value.i did wonder how they [thai] could sell it so cheap? well the answer is the co.has a thai.partner.