buying and riding a motorbike under tourist visa

HORACIOTEK

Hey!

I have been living in Bangkok for a year now with tourist visa (30days). My situation will not change anytime soon however, I am thinking to get a scooter to move around.

I have heard that without working permit, i can't get bike insurance nor driving licence for scooters. I rather be legal and have my ass safe while riding than be exposed to danger all the time...by crashing into someones car uncovered by any insurance.

Has anyone with simple tourist visa got to ride a bike legally in Bangkok? Legal by means of driving licence and insurance.

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers!

"I have been living in Bangkok for a year now with tourist visa (30days)"

So you are in fact on overstay and in the country illegally . . and you are dreaming up that they let you do a Thai driver's license, buy a bike on your name (for which you need a proof of residency from Immigration) . You are badly mis- and underinformed. Where have you been living while being in Thailand, in the dark under the barstool ?

"I have been living in Bangkok for a year now with tourist visa (30days)"

So you are in fact on overstay and in the country illegally . . and you are dreaming up that they let you do a Thai driver's license, buy a bike on your name (for which you need a proof of residency from Immigration) . You are badly mis- and underinformed. Where have you been living while being in Thailand, in the dark under the barstool ?

Hey,

I travel overseas every 3-4 weeks so i keep getting tourist visas for 30 days over the last year....so, theoretically I am legal. (as many other thousand in Thailand). I do rent a condominium for what i got a lease agreement, thanks to which, i got a bank account.

So far i was doing fine with my tourist status however, now that i want to buy a scooter i am facing this problem...I am pretty sure, i can get a motorbike in Thailand and ride it legally under tourist visa...that is why i indeed wrote the post...so someone could share with me how, if there is a chance.

I have european driving licence if that might help??

Thanks anyway,

OP - I used to only be in Thailand for a week at a time every 5 weeks or so and had no problem getting a driving licence on a visa waiver from Pattaya DLT. At Chonburi Immigration a rental agreement should be all you need to get a residence certificate.

No idea how easy or difficult that is from your local Immigration office but you could always ask? Also check out the pinned threads on driving licences in the Motor forum and Pattaya forum - or just do a search thumbsup.gif

I bought a motorcycle some time ago on a Visa excempt stamp (probably what you call tourist visa - but isn't) and the dealer took care of the registration. No problem with that, got the green book and the insurance.

Now for the drivers license I don't know yet, will try to get it once I return.

OP - I used to only be in Thailand for a week at a time every 5 weeks or so and had no problem getting a driving licence on a visa waiver from Pattaya DLT. At Chonburi Immigration a rental agreement should be all you need to get a residence certificate.

No idea how easy or difficult that is from your local Immigration office but you could always ask? Also check out the pinned threads on driving licences in the Motor forum and Pattaya forum - or just do a search thumbsup.gif

Thanks!

Yeah, I will pay a visit to immigration, hope my lease agreement works for them, It will be for 2 years now...

keep you posted!