Consumer Affairs

BlackJack

Does anyone know what if any organisation deals with goods that dont work, or are not what you thought bought, or need to be returned or claiming under warrantee?

What if the company sold you something, then it didnt work and so it was fixed by another trademan only to find out that what was inside was not what you bought and not what showed on the warrantee?

any comments legal or other

Perhaps you could explain the details, if this is an actual case, and we might be able to provide better advise. From what you have written it would appear someone bought something from probably a small shop that they later found out was fake? Not unusual but did they really believe that 20,000 baht item was on sale for 2,000 baht? I suspect most of us have bought something on sale that was not what we thought it was and have learned from our mistake.

For most normal things it seems to be very much a buyer beware system; unless you catch someone "in the act" the police usually do not care to take a pro active stance and "proof" would be required for court action. For large items such as homes and vehicles you may get some help from civic groups but do not believe it is common for lessor items.

Perhaps you could explain the details, if this is an actual case, and we might be able to provide better advise. From what you have written it would appear someone bought something from probably a small shop that they later found out was fake? Not unusual but did they really believe that 20,000 baht item was on sale for 2,000 baht? I suspect most of us have bought something on sale that was not what we thought it was and have learned from our mistake.

For most normal things it seems to be very much a buyer beware system; unless you catch someone "in the act" the police usually do not care to take a pro active stance and "proof" would be required for court action. For large items such as homes and vehicles you may get some help from civic groups but do not believe it is common for lessor items.

Actually it was an new airconditioner advertised with a Mitsubishi compressor with a 5 year warrantee.

The seller, a shop in Pattaya not a large retailer but medium. However, they advertise a lot in the area.

THe seller could not fix the system after he fitted the new compressor unit and so it has never worked properly from day 1. The gas kept leaking out. Finally the seller couldnt fix the problem after 3 cracks at it and hung up the phone saying it was not his responsibility (although there is a 12 months service warrantee)

The buyer went to the police and they said get another repairman to check it out.

The buyer hired a new repairman and payed them another 4500 baht.

The new repairman lifted the lid and found no Mitsubishi compressor but a knock of Thai made compressor.

All paperwork refers to a Mitsubishi compressor and even the warrantee states this.

I am told there is 2 Mitsubishi makers in Thailand one electrics and one heavy industries and both make a compressor. However, this does not explain the lack of the Mitsubishi compressor.

The case of the compressor and fan has a red Mitsubishi sign on the front as well.

Any ideas on what to do as the seller refuses to speak about the matter.

THe way i see it the service warrantee and the compressor warrantee are null and void as the seller wont honor them

:o

Thats unfortunate, You should of just kept taking it back everyday to get it fixed and piss them off and start going off infront of customers as that has worked for me, getting someone else to look into your air-conditioner may have been a mistake as you may have no case because they can claim you took it somewhere else to fix and they swaped it etc.

If I was you and this thing has cost alot of your budget and worth fighting for I would just keep taking it back and complaining about getting it fixed everyday as that is in the warrantee for you to do that.

Yeah bad luck on that one, you have to be so careful here, unrelated to aircon but I know some of the motorcycle shop's that sell genuine brand bike's replace many of the part's, tyre's, batterie, brake part's ect, with cheep copy part's and sell on the genuine part's later, you think your buying a genuine bike but your not !

I would check the paperwork carefully as they usually spell the name wrong. If that is not the case they could contact the compressor company and demand a replacement and when they take a look and see the knock off they may take the legal action. But if he tries to take action himself it is likely to be more money than it is worth (but I would love to see him succeed).

But again check closely as they usually change the name enough to make it legal.

What exactly was the 4,500 baht for second repairman for? Someone to check would not charge more than 500 baht in my experience (even doing a cleaning at the same time). Or did he replace the compressor? I take it this was a no name air conditioner system? Is the system running now?

Thats unfortunate, You should of just kept taking it back everyday to get it fixed and piss them off and start going off infront of customers as that has worked for me, getting someone else to look into your air-conditioner may have been a mistake as you may have no case because they can claim you took it somewhere else to fix and they swaped it etc.

If I was you and this thing has cost alot of your budget and worth fighting for I would just keep taking it back and complaining about getting it fixed everyday as that is in the warrantee for you to do that.

I'd agree with Donz, unfortunately the warranty was made void by your bringing in a 'non-authorised' repairman.

If you have the time and bottle, go there every day, all day and complain, complain, complain.

unfortnuately the compressor is too big to lug around so its not going back to the shop - plus i would look stupid luggin it around on the bike :o

I have found a government body that does look into these cases - so they can take up the issue

The spelling is correct - it is advertised as Mitsubishi and typed into the warrantee.

It could take some time but i will keep you posted

Contact Mitsubishi Thailand, I'm sure they would like to know of this and may help get it all sorted.

Contact Mitsubishi about the warranty, if it is a genuine compressor they were send their electrician to service it. My 4 years old Mitsubishi compressor was replaced free.

If it is a counterfeit compressor, just inform and let the Mitsubishi agent know the shop that carried the fake where you purchased. Mitsubishi will take actions on that scammer for misleading the consumer and infringement of copyrights.

the compressor is SCI and it says made under license to Mitsubishi - however it is badged SCI.

however i am not sure whether you can advertise that its a Mitsubishi compressor when its an SCI

-even if its under license.

All pictures, advertising, receipts are going to the Thai consumers tonight so maybe they can sort it out

BTW

Sophon air came out and fixed everything up - they also rang the next day to check that alls OK

more later