Thailand Is Only the Tip of Asia's Iceberg

webfact

I think Mr. Pesek underestimates the Thais and SEApeople in the same way the US of A (and their testosteron-driven 19 year old GIs who did not have a clue of what they were getting themselves into) underestimated the Vietnamese when they bombed and burned their country to bits to still suffer defeat in the end...

What is more pathetic? Western people believing that they actually are voting for independent parties while the puppets they vote for only differ in style, slogan, logo and perhaps skin color, while still originating (and working for) the same bunch of criminals? And these western people in the end not even having the guts to go into the streets and revolt when they realize that their favorite puppet did nothing but lie to them to simply get their votes, eventually doing quite the opposite of what he/she promised?

or

Southeast Asian People realizing that their PM puppet turned bad, thus eventually going into the streets and revolt because they truly believe that they really can make a change, even though everyone else knows that their chosen puppet is not much better than the old one?

Yeah, there might be rough waters ahead, but I believe that Europe and the US of A are facing much worse while Southeast Asia in general will improve, not fast, but steady over the next decade. Pesek should clean up the dirt in his own country's front yard before talking rubbish about things and countries he has no knowledge of.

Edited by catweazle

the streetwalkers will always pull up the economy ,the unsung heros of many thai crashes should get medals for their endeavors

Couldn't have said it better myself smile.png

Where would Thailand be without its female work force?

Edited by catweazle
  • Like 1

"as the Bernanke bubble deflates", so will the American economy, which only has two ways to go...either they keep printing money, until people will need a wheelbarrow full of it, to buy a loaf of bread (like in Nazi Germany), or they are heading for a major deflation and depression.

Maybe, they should look at their own problems, because I think SE Asia, will still be around, long after the "American Empire" falls

Nazi Germany - huh... look who is talking.

If anyone of us would name names for this shi*hole which wants to be a ..... we'd be locked up/

Anyway, good to know what ill-stricken, arrogant pride this "Amazing" land is riding upon. Just remember, Thailand never made it to anywhere close to where so many other countries made it to, after the 2nd WW. And they all will make it again, if they have to, so will the US! - And - AGAIN - your lovely .....om will stay far behind, because all you have is a big mouth full of SH** (it even lies around the street, step outside and look around).

Now go and pad yourself on your left shoulder. You are so good!

bah.gifw00t.gif

Edited by NHT

Sooner or later, foreign companies are going to start voting with their feet, as Kyoichi Tanada, president of Toyota Motor Corp.’s Thai unit, warned this week.

Didn't Toyota announce it's movement from Thailand to Indonesia last December ? Looks like the journalist is trawling through old articles to make his point

Toyota to shift Thai output base to Indonesia

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Toyota-to-shift-Thai-output-base-to-Indonesia-30222597.html

"as the Bernanke bubble deflates", so will the American economy, which only has two ways to go...either they keep printing money, until people will need a wheelbarrow full of it, to buy a loaf of bread (like in Nazi Germany), or they are heading for a major deflation and depression.

Maybe, they should look at their own problems, because I think SE Asia, will still be around, long after the "American Empire" falls

The Fed is one component of an ongoing process of democratic renewal, regeneration and revitalization within a vibrant constitutional system that has always enabled the United States to transform its imperfect self continually and peacefully, i.e., institutionally - past, present, future.

Thailand does not have that capacity or capability - Thailand expands and grows but it does not bend or regenerate itself socioeconomically, culturally, institutionally.

Thailand is in the process of breaking as the winds of change both externally and internally become increasingly greater and more challenging and as the inflexible feudal elites here only stiffen their resistance to rapidly changing socioeconomics and to the concomitant demand to revitalize the society's politics and government.

Thailand remains a mish-mash of feudalism and of feudal elites who morphed an entire army into their own private domestic instrument that enforces their exclusive and self-serving interests, systems, institutions. This is no longer viable and in the face of popular demand it is nearing its breaking point.

Who said Americans didn't have a sense of humour ?

Thai's would have made great Kamakari pilots don't you think?

you mean "Kamikaze"?

they still have the opportunity!

but after a big mouth, they'd just wet their pants. (obviously you don't understand Thai culture!)

LOL

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/us-suspends-34-nuclear-missile-officers-over-cheating-201742809.html

Yesterday I read that 34 US 'nuclear launch officials' were discovered to be cheating in exams, also some were being investigated for drugs offences. I would consider this far more dangerous than some violent street protests in Bangkok. I think their media pundits should probably shush about other nations' problems. So, along with all the other current problems in the US, which are encyclopedic; their 'humanitarian invasions' which cost millions of lives around the ME in the last decade or so, and the US is a virtual police state run by offshore banking cartels, and has huge socio-economic problems, including the standard of living which has dropped by 2/3 in the last 40 years. I love American people and culture a lot, but I feel that given the state their government and society is in today, I feel the journalists etc. like the guy in the OP should really stop pointing fingers around the world and try closer to home. I feel the same when the UK press starts criticising Thailand, they should look at their own doorstep more closely too. Its a far from rosy picture.

coffee1.gif

Edited by Yunla

Some of the comments over there at Bloomberg's website make Thaivisa posters look very well-informed and balanced.

ThaiVisa members are well informed and balanced people. Only well informed, balanced people would move here and blow their life savings.

crazy.gif (Guilty as charged).

I like this comment . . . .

useronthenet jimjimm3

Wrong ! Thailand was colonized by the Chinese, and many other cultures which makes Thailand it is today.

Without foreign exports, or foreign investment or indeed foreign tourists, Thailand would be in serious trouble.

Most of those which rule or are in power today, are educated by foreign institutions of learning. Many of those were born outside of Thailand. The technology that Thailand uses today was mostly invented by the USA & Europe. Be careful what you say about foreigners, as they are an integral part of Thai society.

Edited by MJP

The Fed is one component of an ongoing process of democratic renewal, regeneration and revitalization within a vibrant constitutional system that has always enabled the United States to transform its imperfect self continually and peacefully, i.e., institutionally - past, present, future.

Thailand does not have that capacity or capability - Thailand expands and grows but it does not bend or regenerate itself socioeconomically, culturally, institutionally.

Thailand is in the process of breaking as the winds of change both externally and internally become increasingly greater and more challenging and as the inflexible feudal elites here only stiffen their resistance to rapidly changing socioeconomics and to the concomitant demand to revitalize the society's politics and government.

Thailand remains a mish-mash of feudalism and of feudal elites who morphed an entire army into their own private domestic instrument that enforces their exclusive and self-serving interests, systems, institutions. This is no longer viable and in the face of popular demand it is nearing its breaking point.

Who said Americans didn't have a sense of humour ?

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/us-suspends-34-nuclear-missile-officers-over-cheating-201742809.html

Yesterday I read that 34 US 'nuclear launch officials' were discovered to be cheating in exams, also some were being investigated for drugs offences. I would consider this far more dangerous than some violent street protests in Bangkok. I think their media pundits should probably shush about other nations' problems. So, along with all the other current problems in the US, which are encyclopedic; their 'humanitarian invasions' which cost millions of lives around the ME in the last decade or so, and the US is a virtual police state run by offshore banking cartels, and has huge socio-economic problems, including the standard of living which has dropped by 2/3 in the last 40 years. I love American people and culture a lot, but I feel that given the state their government and society is in today, I feel the journalists etc. like the guy in the OP should really stop pointing fingers around the world and try closer to home. I feel the same when the UK press starts criticising Thailand, they should look at their own doorstep more closely too. Its a far from rosy picture.

coffee1.gif

I love and enjoy crank posts.

• Like 2

coffee1.gif

In sum: "the US is not my father"? Just paraphrazing another great Thai thinker. Forgot his name.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Who is William Pesak?

He knows nothing about Thailand. Shame on Bloomberg who carries his article.

This Pesak is writing from Tokyo. He should rather concentrate on Japan who is is still in dire straits.

Yea, the #3 economy in the world is really struggling to make ends meet.

Who is William Pesak?

He knows nothing about Thailand. Shame on Bloomberg who carries his article.

This Pesak is writing from Tokyo. He should rather concentrate on Japan who is is still in dire straits.

Yea, the #3 economy in the world is really struggling to make ends meet.

Japan's up against it right now with demographics, energy issues (nuclear shut down) and of course the massive Fukushima problem . . . and tensions with China.

Honestly, I thing the article in the OP was very interesting and one person's take on the situation. The additional articles referenced, written by other authors, were very informative, if only the perspective of those authors. I don't think the OP is too far off on some counts. Thailand's government has been for the most part a joke since the coup in 2006. The country can't even write a constitution without trying to figure out who might benefit the most. Differences between the parties and the lack of consensus to do something about the corruption rampant at all layers of government and society, and a tendency by government to appease constituencies by funding convoluted public programs subject to hugh graft are all to blame.

It was the floods a year ago, government instability this year. Why would companies flock to Thailand to invest and build plants. Sure those here may tough it out but any business thinking about investing in new infrastructure for manufacturing, etc. will look to the most advantageous places to do that. Other nations in ASEAN might offer more stability and better offsets for investment.

"Across the region, debt-fueled growth is wrecking household balance sheets. Large subsidies are draining government coffers. Asset bubbles in real estate and equities continue to swell. Current-account worries are eating away at currencies. The gap between rich and poor is widening. And once-frothy markets are dangerously exposed to Federal Reserve tapering and rising political risks."

Geez, Mr. Pesek, how pesky and problematic these Asian countries are!! And how different from our enlightened Western societies and economies. It would be a sad state of affairs if European and North American countries ever descended into the problems described above...

Edited by DeepInTheForest

It's the ever present threat of a coup that suppresses the development of real democracy in Thailand. That's the reason that the main opposition party don't feel the need to take part in elections. I ntheir way ISever cease to be amazed that there are people who believe that Suthep and his fascist backers would do a better job of running the country. That's just delusional.

Thailand will never be an example of good governance, but at least with democracy the people get to express their view every four years. What's needed is a democratically elected government with the will to pull the military into line.

Problem is Thaksin's cronies will be re-elected by promising their base some token handout so they can rob the country blind. The only thing standing in their way IS the military. They obviously don't respect the courts (see the pastry box full of money incident a few years ago) I'm not saying that Suthep and his council are the answer, but the answer sure isn't the criminal Thaksin and his puppet sister. None if this would be happening right now if it wasn't for the 4 AM bill to absolve the big man in Dubai of his crimes.

Thailand has it's political problems, but things would sure be better if Thaksin would stay out of politics like he's promised about a 1000 times.

• Like 1

While you can nitpick and deride various comments in that article, one simple statement rings true.

Thailand is committing suicide

That depends if you see this as an end game or part of the journey.

Somehow they will get to a point of stability, how long it takes God knows. But somehow I don't think it's going to include a committee to run the country for an extended period.

Thailand needs the world to invest here. An appointed committee determined for nationalistic pride will not cut it. Even sutheps backers want business to be uninterrupted.

While you can nitpick and deride various comments in that article, one simple statement rings true.

Somehow they will get to a point of stability, how long it takes God knows. But somehow I don't think it's going to include a committee to run the country for an extended period.

Thailand needs the world to invest here. An appointed committee determined for nationalistic pride will not cut it. Even sutheps backers want business to be uninterrupted.

I hope you're right but you seem to be assuming Thais are reasonable and rational, that they have perspective, while all the evidence - all of it - is completely to the opposite.

I think all we can look to is the election, that it might be a strong enough statement that the elites have to withdraw somewhat, if only somewhat - say, off the streets for the time being.

The Bangkok University poll shows the great majority of Thais don't want a military coup, but do the elites care when it comes right down to it. And then there's the judicial coup.

While I've always maintained that the first rule of life is not to defeat yourself, the Thais do seem to prefer suicide.

I hope you're right but you seem to be assuming Thais are reasonable and rational, that they have perspective, while all the evidence - all of it - is completely to the opposite.

I think all we can look to is the election, that it might be a strong enough statement that the elites have to withdraw somewhat, if only somewhat - say, off the streets for the time being.

The Bangkok University poll shows the great majority of Thais don't want a military coup, but do the elites care when it comes right down to it. And then there's the judicial coup.

While I've always maintained that the first rule of life is not to defeat yourself, the Thais do seem to prefer suicide.

Sutheps backers don't want embargoes or trade problems either.

Sutheps backers don't want embargoes or trade problems either.

So we'll see how the election and its aftermath play out as Suthep says his mobs won't try to stop it.

Still, I dunno if Suthep's backers have enough of the right friends in the right places, such as among the judiciary coup meisters, the Election Commission obstructionists, the Constitutional Court elitists etc etc etc.

I continue to believe the military recognizes a coup would backfire against it immediately, disastrously, and therefore won't do it but, hey, I could be wrong.

Oh sure, Thailand's weaknesses have nothing to do with the rife corruption on every level, in which everyone wants a piece of the action. That's got nothing to do with it. It's Ben Bernake's fault there's a policeman waiting to take a bribe on every corner, a justice system which is only used to f*** each other over, an extremely lacking education system, etc etc..