Root & Rhoesoft

SailingHome

Where can I get my MyPhone A919i rooted and Rhoesoft's ram extender installed? It will need a ROM update, I believe, to accept the ram increase.

I DO NOT want viruses and shit added, nor do I want them to cause some minor physical damages so it needs them to service it soon (a-holes!) Also, the root and rom should not chanve the settings.

I know this is possible as others have done it this way.

So, who do you trust? Any takers here? I am not untrusting, just cynical from previous work.

While I don't have this phone, I do trust the xda-developers forum for unlock, rooting and custom roms.

Take a look at this link and see if the A116 is the same model as your MyPhone A919i

forums.xda-developers.com A116

and several threads on rooting the 'A116'

Rooting/Unrooting and custom/Stock recovery without SP Flash Tool noob friendly

Guide: How to Root + CWM Recovery, NOOB Friendly.( Method 1)

[Guide]: How to Root + CWM Recovery, NOOB Friendly.( Method 2)

[Guide]: How to Root + CWM Recovery, NOOB Friendly.( Method 3)

• Like 1

October 28, 2012 - MyPhone is on the edge of releasing its biggest and most powerful Android smartphone to date, but the only problem is there's no information about it on the web. Luckily, I stumbled upon a teaser photo of the MyPhone A919 Duo from noypigeeks.com and after some searching on the web, I found out that the MyPhone A919 Duo have the same specs and overall physical appearance with that of the i-mobile IQ 5 of Thailand, Beidou Chi K from China and Micromax Superfone Canvas 2 A110, one of the highly anticipated phablets from Indian telecommunications company Micromax! Won't believe it? Try looking at the photo below and see how similar the MyPhone A919 Duo with that of Micromax A110.

So... may just look the same. xda-devs will know. Never found a919 instructions specifically except in Taglish and nothing on rom for Rhoesoft. Now, at least, I have a lead ;-)

I tried to verify if the MyPhone A919i was the exact same phone as the Micromax A110 or A116 ...then ran across the A919 (no 'i') and A919 Duo.

A couple of posts in the A116 threads mentions the A919i in the text body, but I didn't run across any mention of cross-branding to verify it. Did run a cross posts mentioning that there is not real difference between the A919 and A919i except for added magnetic compass functionality.

Ah... here's something more definitive: MyPhone A919i Review

It should be noted that the MyPhone A919i is also known as the Micromax A116 Canvas HD in India. It is also known as the Wiko Cink Five in France, Fly IQ451 Quattro Vista in Russia, and Mobistel Cynus T5 in Germany. The OEM device of these phones is the Beidou Chi K Shallot/Scallion/Onion. The name approximately translates to "onion" as the OEM device does not have an English name.

Usually the rom developers will list what doesn't work in the first post. Some even include screen shots (previews).

If you install a 'custom recovery' (backup/restore) then you can backup the entire setup of your current rom and freely flash new roms knowing you can recover to you backup at any time.

• Like 1

The a919i is one one gen higher than what I have. Mine is an a919 Duo, which is Micromax a110.

I am thinking of a rom that needs no PC to install as long as the phone is still stock (it is.)

http://www.symbianize.com/showthread.php?t=957614

Is there an app that I can do a backup/restore for recovery? Not sure I need to with this ROM. Also, I am not sure, is it saying my data will be wiped or not?

No idea if this kernal will allow ram swap, but worth a try.

ok... I found Clockworkmod backup built for the A919 Duo/Micromax a110. It installed fine and I made a backup.

I am guessing this backup is ONLY my data, apps, and settings, not the current ROM too, correct? So, I flash a new ROM from zip then restore this backup?

CWM (ClockWorkMod) creates a compressed zip backup of: Boot, System, Data, Cache so all the partitions of your working ROM, apps and data created. The hboot, recovery, radio firmware, dalvik runtime memory and internal/external sdcard partitions are normally left out. Date-stamped backup files are normally stored on /storage/sdcard0/ under /clockworkmod/backup. It's important to verify at least once that CWM is actually using /sdcard/ for storage so the backups it creates doesn't get erased when setting up a new ROM.

So, data, apps, settings and current ROM are all backed up and can be restored.

While you 'can' download new roms directly to the phone, it's very, very, important to check the md5 hash to verify that the download file is good so you don't inadvertently brick your device.

When installing a new rom it's recommended that follow the rom install instructions on wiping memory partitions (Dalvik, Cache, Data, System, etc,) so that nothing from the old rom hangs around to cause issues, then once the phone reboots go through the new user setup process. Also note, some roms may require flashing multiple files: rom, gapps, etc. It should all be in the instructions.

Once you've created a backup of your current rom state you can always return to it. Restoring a backup usually does a full wipe of the backed up partitions prior to restore so anything anything that happens gets erased -- sms, call logs, anything stored to internal data all gets overwritten with the old data from the backup. Anything stored on /sdcard/ or in the cloud is not part of the backup so it stays as-is, for better or worse.

• Like 1

That makes a lot more sense now. CWM wrote the backup to my external SD, so no worries of overwrite there, I suspect.It made 2 dirs, one is called Blobs with lots of files. No zip, just 2 drw.

I do see a lot of roms I could try. I do see how some need multiple flashes. No big.

What seems to be difficult is finding out which rom has Tung (swap memory) support which the stock a919 rom does not. Stock a110 does, so likely I will pick one of the custom roms for a110.

So, most of these custom roms are just UI tweaks?

Edited by SailingHome

That makes a lot more sense now. CWM wrote the backup to my external SD, so no worries of overwrite there, I suspect.It made 2 dirs, one is called Blobs with lots of files. No zip, just 2 drw.

I do see a lot of roms I could try. I do see how some need multiple flashes. No big.

What seems to be difficult is finding out which rom has Tung (swap memory) support which the stock a919 rom does not. Stock a110 does, so likely I will pick one of the custom roms for a110.

blobs is where you can find and extract the scatter file for use with SP flash tool.

http://forum.hovatek.com/showthread.php?tid=87

JUST download some and try them.. it's very difficult to hard brick the mediatek chipset.. as ;long as you have a back up with scatter file you can reload it using SP flash tool

• Like 1

Custom ROMs run a wide gamut.

Some ROMs are just system tweaks and bloatware removal.

Some contain custom kernels to make the phone run faster, smoother, have better battery life.

Others ROMs are Ports of features from phones that people really wish were on their phone.

And then there are ROM builds from pure AOSP (Open Android Source Project) code, like CyanogenMod, or AOKP (K for Kang, meaning misappropriated code tweaks taken from other rom coders) that compile a version specifically for your device.

Android version released (From Wikipedia) :

1.5 (Cupcake) API level 3

1.6 (Donut) APA level 4
2.0 (Eclair) API level 5
2.0.1 (Eclair) API level 6
2.1 (Eclair) API level 7
2.2–2.2.3 (Froyo) API level 8
2.3–2.3.2 (Gingerbread) API level 9
2.3.3–2.3.7 (Gingerbread) API level 10
3.0 (Honeycomb) API level 11
3.1 (Honeycomb) API level 12
3.2 (Honeycomb) API level 13
4.0–4.0.2 (Ice Cream Sandwich) API level 14
4.0.3–4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich) API level 15
4.1 (Jelly Bean) API level 16
4.2 (Jelly Bean) API level 17
4.3 (Jelly Bean) API level 18
4.4 (KitKat) API level 19

When talking about backing up apps and data there are a couple of differing methods

This article discusses a few of those methods: How to Back Up Data on Your Android Smartphone

In short:

the Google Play Store keeps a list of the apps you've downloaded on your account. If google doesn't automatically download and restore the apps, you can use the Google Play Store and use the edge-slider-menu to select 'My apps' that will display either INSTALLED or ALL apps you've ever installed using that google account. Great for restoring apps but it doesn't store all your data.

Many apps write their data to the /sdcard/ and are coded to reinitialize using that data. Other apps ignore it and force you to start over.

There are also App&Data backup programs such as Titanium Backup, Carbon, or Helium that will backup the apk and data that can in many cases be used to completely restore to a new phone or ROM. This may not work if the Android system version doesn't match the new Android system environment you're restoring into as some apps work differently under different OS versions.

• Like 1