Chinese New Year

Rumblecat

In years past, yes, it gets so crowded you can't move. This year, with the diminished crowds, you might have a

chance to get in and get out without too much trouble. Operative word here is might.

I tried going one night two years ago. I got within a few blocks of Yaowarat (Chinatown) and gave up. Not worth

the hassle unless you enjoy being trapped in a mob with no way out.

In years past, yes, it gets so crowded you can't move. This year, with the diminished crowds, you might have a

chance to get in and get out without too much trouble. Operative word here is might.

I tried going one night two years ago. I got within a few blocks of Yaowarat (Chinatown) and gave up. Not worth

the hassle unless you enjoy being trapped in a mob with no way out.

I'm going to guess it'd be mobbed again- better to err on the safe side than to be stuck in a crowd for hours.

So any ideas where else might be good to see some Chinese NY related things? Most of the stuff I've googled just suggests Yaowarat, Yaowarat, Yaowarat... ;)

So any ideas where else might be good to see some Chinese NY related things? --> China?

Since we are in the Bangkok subforum, I can only assume you are referring to Chinatown in Bangkok. If you would scroll up you would see that's what this thread has so far been discussing.

So any ideas where else might be good to see some Chinese NY related things? --> China?

Yeah, thanks, that's both unhelpful and unfunny, so cheers for that. rolleyes.gif

BK Magazine has a list of deals but so far it seems only Chinatown is really having any celebrations (which makes sense I guess). Might try braving it after all then.

http://bk.asia-city.com/restaurants/news/where-celebrate-your-chinese-new-year-dining-deals

Chinese NY is more a family thing rather than a big public celebration. People flock to Chinatowns all over the world expecting some great cultural experience and all they get is some fried noodles and people burning stuff in the street. If you're really lucky you might get to see the paper dragon going from shop to shop beating drums but then you could see that on Youtube. Don't waste your time.