New scam in Ko Samed...anywhere else?

alex8912

I just came back from Ko Samed and in 5 minutes this scam happened twice to me and it never happened in the 20 years I traveled here. I went n to a shop and purchased a large beer for 110 baht. I first took out a 100 baht note and went to my wallet for change. While I was looking for change she put note into till and started a little hard to understand small talk and when I gave her the 10 baht coin she asked for the 100 again! I pointed to till and said you put it in there and she kind of just shrugged it off. Then went to another shop and total was 220 baht and gave her 200 she put it in till and closed the cash register while I got twenty more baht and then asked for the 200 again! This time I raised my voice louder and said you have it already and pointed to register. She just shrugged it off as well and I left. These are the first two tines this has happened to me ever.

On the other hand, I was given a B20-note in change, when I paid for B2,483-worth of paint with B2,500 yesterday !

I offered the extra B3 in small-change, but it was waved-away, 'no promprem'. rolleyes.gif

They thought I was a bit odd, to wish to pay the full correct amount, in fact.

Just another case of T.i.T. !

• Like 1

Did you look drunk ? Can't believe they would try that on a sober person !

I experienced a subtler variation on this in the gift shop at an international hotel in Mumbai. My note already on the counter was switched for a smaller denomination. Luckily I noticed and reported the thief to hotel management.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Did you look drunk ? Can't believe they would try that on a sober person !

I experienced a subtler variation on this in the gift shop at an international hotel in Mumbai. My note already on the counter was switched for a smaller denomination. Luckily I noticed and reported the thief to hotel management.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No. I had nothing to drink yet and actually just blew off what happened the first time and less than 5 minutes later it happened again ( no beer purchase the second time). I'm also in my 40's so I don't think they were ripping off an old tourist either.

'Then went to another shop and total was 220 baht and gave her 200 she put it in till and closed the cash register while I got twenty more baht'

I generally pay in one lump some rather than a 'payment plan'

Do you carry your 100 baht notes and 20 baht notes in different wallets?

Just asking....

• Like 2

'Then went to another shop and total was 220 baht and gave her 200 she put it in till and closed the cash register while I got twenty more baht'

I generally pay in one lump some rather than a 'payment plan'

Do you carry your 100 baht notes and 20 baht notes in different wallets?

Just asking....

I'm trying to make people aware of this only. My coins are in a different place than my notes. This is not always the way I pay. It just happened twice in less than 5 minutes. This is helpful for some people to know or watch out for. Maybe YOU are the reason why people don't want tp post in the first place.

When you post anything negative on this forum, the thai apologists WILL respond. The first reply blamed YOU. The apologists look at the titles of the thread and if they see the word "scam", "thief," " con"," "bad driver"," steal", lie, nose picking"," lazy", "rude", etc, then expect to be attacked by the wannbe thais. Very sad, but true

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...