Thai opinion: The grand paradox of the 'No' votes

webfact

STOPPAGE TIME
The grand paradox of the 'No' votes

Tulsathit Taptim

BANGKOK: -- You did the right thing. Yes, you who went out and cast your "No" votes on Sunday. You did what your hearts told you and nobody can argue with that. The bad news is, the simplicity ends right there where it started. Politics is mean, and it's hovering over your good intention like a starving vulture.

The question is already out there: Are "No" votes meant to be an anti-Pheu Thai protest or a message that you disagree with Suthep Thaugsuban absolutely? Easy, you may say, "it's both".

But we both know better, don't we?

It's a paradox. Suthep wanted to torpedo this election because he did not want Pheu Thai to win. You voting "No" meant you also did not want Pheu Thai to win. So, in this aspect you must be agreeing with Suthep. Only, you chose to say so through the ballot box.

But Pheu Thai was also saying that voting is an integral part of democracy. So you agreed with Pheu Thai on this, meaning Suthep was unequivocally wrong. You endorsed Pheu Thai's ultimate idea of democracy, so to speak. In practice you embraced the values that Pheu Thai proclaimed to embody, but you still didn't vote for them.

Your votes are important. There seems to be an unprecedented number of them. Combine them with the "No Show" voters, and Pheu Thai should rightfully feel embarrassed. But count them as part of the election turnout, and Suthep's campaign to boycott the election looks like it lost its sting. You wanted to stay out of it, but you might find yourselves in the middle of it.

You are torn between two ideals. On one hand, you wanted to keep the spirit of democracy alive. As much as people talked about this election playing into Thaksin Shinawatra's hands, you could not find a good substitute for democracy. If the ballot box cannot solve disagreements, no matter how complex or serious, what can?

On the other hand, the rice scheme catastrophe made you cringe. The attempts to ram the amnesty bill through Parliament made you sick to your stomachs. You knew that there would be more of the same of everything if you voted for Pheu Thai. You hate corruption, and some of you have even blown the whistle once or twice.

Of course, you don't like corruption. Why did you vote "No" in the first place anyway? At least you did not trust Pheu Thai when it came to transparency. Deep down, Pheu Thai didn't fit your definition of "integrity" despite all the welfare schemes that impressed millions of others and much of the foreign media.

You therefore decided to walk a tightrope. Casting a "No" vote put your conscience at ease. It was not the perfect solution, but you did not believe two wrongs could make a right. And you thought not voting was wrong.

Now, let's see which "wrong" will manage to co-opt your votes. What is seriously wrong about this world is that all people think they are right. That's why we have this problem to begin with. If everyone thinks he is wrong, there is remorse, understanding and reconciliation. When everyone thinks he is right, we go to war or try more civilised means - casting votes.

Left with no choices, Suthep will point at the number of your votes and say "See?" To avoid embarrassment, Pheu Thai will do the same. The tug of war with you in the middle will be particularly intense if your votes are numerous enough to tilt either side toward gaining the precious "majority".

You did the right thing, it has to be emphasised. Only the right thing often has painful or unpleasant consequences. Let it be, you tell yourselves. If good intentions lead to bad results, then so be it.

Here's what is equally important, though. That you did the right thing does not mean the others were wrong in doing things differently. It's a tricky concept, but it's the only way of thinking that will prevent "righteous" thoughts from becoming belligerent.

If everyone is right but is also thinking differently, how are we supposed to solve a problem? Of course, instead of picking up weapons, we vote. We can even vote "No" to all proposed solutions and make the deadlock official. Back to Square One, aren't we? The bottom line is, we can do whatever we think is right, but we can't romanticise it too much.

Nobody has written the perfect textbook on anything, including democracy. Your "No" votes may reflect this fact. You may know, deep in your hearts, that our democracy is not only imperfect but also susceptible to abuse. But you didn't see any other way out. As a result, you have to support the current "democracy" while rejecting its current "guardian".

Suthep may call you "fair-weather" Thais but he might also be quietly thankful. Pheu Thai may pamper you, but might also sulk behind your backs. You might have wanted to stay out of it, but instead find yourselves in the glaring spotlight of a world you must know as well as anybody is inescapably grey.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-05

• Like 1

Interesting the Thai politics have finally come to a point in time where they realise the most important Vote to then is a NO VOTE

If you are from the North and always vote PTP your vote is locked in and has very little Value

If you come from the South and always vote Democrats your vote is locked in and has very little Value

But if there is a high number of No. Votes in your area, all politicians see you as a swinging vote

They will throw every gift then can at your area to get you on side

The true power of democracy is to be a swinging voter

• Like 2

I agree entirely, in fact there's a whole different Thailand in Bangkok.

They've completely forgotten where they come from and their rural culture.

I see them driving their big SUV's coming "up country" for their holidays, flashing their wallets, sniggering at the poor local farmers.

Its a symptom of the feudal mentality where "money = power" in the Nation's psyche.

That's why people are so obsessed with money here, because it means they will gain power over their fellow countrymen.

It seems everyone accepts that as being true.

Until they embrace real democracy, and egalitarianism, and reject the notion that wealth = privilege we'll have to watch this awful pantomime continue.

• Like 2

Interesting the Thai politics have finally come to a point in time where they realise the most important Vote to then is a NO VOTE

If you are from the North and always vote PTP your vote is locked in and has very little Value

If you come from the South and always vote Democrats your vote is locked in and has very little Value

But if there is a high number of No. Votes in your area, all politicians see you as a swinging vote

Which is why in the UK the TV stations tend to watch the swing seats, to get an idea which way the country is voting.

Facepalm to the commenters who didn't read the full article. You missed one of the few well balanced Nation pieces.

Or did your black & white world collapse when the author talked about shades of gray (not the book).

You did the right thing. Yes, you who went out and cast your "No" votes on Sunday.

Does this mean "The Nation" is saying the right thing was to cast a "No" vote?

What happened to newspapers being politically neutral?

You must have just arrived in Thailand from Mars! The Nation (and the Post), are hopelessly biased toward the Ruling Elite. Slavish support for the RE has long since replaced any attempt at serious journalism. This is to be expected as the university educated journalists live within a 25 baht Skytrain ride of Siam Square and have no idea what life is like for ordinary Thais.

Well said that man !

Thailand desperately needs a new English language paper owned by FARANGS, so they can report the real news without being subjected to the arm twisting of the Thai Elite and being only able to report how bad Thaksin, PTP etc.. are in general.

I stopped buying the Bangkok Post in 2008 (after buying it 7 days a week for many many years) and have not purchased a single edition of the Bangkok Post or The Nation since then. I will not use a single cent of my money to support such totally unbiased rubbish.

With regards to the paradox of this opinion piece it is clear to all and sundry that Abhisit and the Democrat Party and Suthep all in effect whether stated overtly or covertly wanted there to be No Votes at all - as opposed to people voting no.

If you take off the number of people who were unable to vote due to blockages by PDRC trouble making ( sadly the EC keeps including the people who were stopped from voting - in their voter turnout figures - cannot for the life of me think why they want to weight the figures lower cheesy.gif ), and then use the total number of people who voted in any way against those who had the chance to vote and were not blocked and its a big vote against Abhisit, Suthep, PDRC and the Democrat Party.

A lot of "elite" were waiting to see the results of voting to gauge public sentiment, that people voted and voted overwhelmingly for PTP when they were not blocked - will also act as a "check and balance" to military and judicial intervention.

All in my opinion of course. coffee1.gif

Which is why in the UK the TV stations tend to watch the swing seats, to get an idea which way the country is voting.

Which is why in the UK the Labour Party promises more benefits, more free money, have more child allowance, more cash for unmarried mums, more cash to the largest section of the voting public............

But of course, in the UK they do not go around calling this "Vote Buying" Only in Thailand.................... cheesy.gif

• Like 1

a no vote in any country is a wasted and gutless vote ....

So using your logic

If you think PTP are a bunch of corrupt politicians

and there is no other major party to vote for you must vote for corruption

In my world thats call dictatorship

Democracy says we can choose to say no if we are not happy with any party

• Like 2

You did the right thing. Yes, you who went out and cast your "No" votes on Sunday.

Does this mean "The Nation" is saying the right thing was to cast a "No" vote?

What happened to newspapers being politically neutral?

You must have just arrived in Thailand from Mars! The Nation (and the Post), are hopelessly biased toward the Ruling Elite. Slavish support for the RE has long since replaced any attempt at serious journalism. This is to be expected as the university educated journalists live within a 25 baht Skytrain ride of Siam Square and have no idea what life is like for ordinary Thais.

Well said that man !

Thailand desperately needs a new English language paper owned by FARANGS, so they can report the real news without being subjected to the arm twisting of the Thai Elite and being only able to report how bad Thaksin, PTP etc.. are in general.

I stopped buying the Bangkok Post in 2008 (after buying it 7 days a week for many many years) and have not purchased a single edition of the Bangkok Post or The Nation since then. I will not use a single cent of my money to support such totally unbiased rubbish.

With regards to the paradox of this opinion piece it is clear to all and sundry that Abhisit and the Democrat Party and Suthep all in effect whether stated overtly or covertly wanted there to be No Votes at all - as opposed to people voting no.

If you take off the number of people who were unable to vote due to blockages by PDRC trouble making ( sadly the EC keeps including the people who were stopped from voting - in their voter turnout figures - cannot for the life of me think why they want to weight the figures lower cheesy.gif ), and then use the total number of people who voted in any way against those who had the chance to vote and were not blocked and its a big vote against Abhisit, Suthep, PDRC and the Democrat Party.

A lot of "elite" were waiting to see the results of voting to gauge public sentiment, that people voted and voted overwhelmingly for PTP when they were not blocked - will also act as a "check and balance" to military and judicial intervention.

All in my opinion of course coffee1.gif

"I will not use a single cent of my money to support such totally unbiased rubbish."

Either a typo or you have a good sense of humour.

"sadly the EC keeps including the people who were stopped from voting - in their voter turnout figure"

Factually incorrect. The 46 % overall turnout and subsequent regional figures were only of voters that could vote unhindered.

The only way to read this election is to examine the votes in the PTP constituencies.

In my opinion a significant drop means that Yingluck should stand by her word and resign

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

a no vote in any country is a wasted and gutless vote ....

So using your logic

If you think PTP are a bunch of corrupt politicians

and there is no other major party to vote for you must vote for corruption

In my world thats call dictatorship

Democracy says we can choose to say no if we are not happy with any party

I hope in your country your main opposition party is not that idiot to not run for elections, whichever is the reason. They chosen to not run, so you can't call it dictatorship.

Edited by newcomer71

There wasn't enough time, I am sure a new party ( white shirts) could emerge from the chaos. If so they would easily win the next election. As the saying goes " when two dogs fight for a bone, a third one will grab it and run away"

The only way to read this election is to examine the votes in the PTP constituencies.

In my opinion a significant drop means that Yingluck should stand by her word and resign

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Clever metric. Maybe someone will pick it up.