400,000 baht question

Hello there,

Can someone help me out with a little information on the 400,000 baht rule? My extension is due in May which means the money must be sitting on the bank account for three month prior to application. The money is there; it is not a problem. My question is what if I transfer the money to another bank account which also bears my name? I'd like to close that bank account. Would it be a problem?

Hello there,

Can someone help me out with a little information on the 400,000 baht rule? My extension is due in May which means the money must be sitting on the bank account for three month prior to application. The money is there; it is not a problem. My question is what if I transfer the money to another bank account which also bears my name? I'd like to close that bank account. Would it be a problem?

Interesting question. To be completely safe, I would simply wait till after may to do it but if you must transfer before then, update both bank books after the transfer is complete showing the 400k going out of one account and into the other. Aldo keep the bank teller transfer receipt or ATM transfer slip depending on how you do the transfer. Same if by cash or bank check...keep the paperwork.

• Like 1

I think that a marriage extension only requires that the money be seasoned for two months, not three. So if you did it immediately, it would be in your new account for the required 2 months. Just remember, the account must be in your name only!

Being done includes the 30 day under consideration period as well. Do not close the account until you have your extension stamp done. There have been reports of immigration checking that the money is still there during the approval process.

Do NOT transfer to another account - not even from current to fixed deposit account within same bank. I had been rejected because of that with thanks to the most amazing strictest Thai rules. You can transfer anything after the extension process must be 100% completed, I am afraid to say.

I would advise not doing anything with the account during the 2 months you need the money to be in the bank. There have been reports of extensions being denied for changing accounts at the same bank.

Correction : 3 months if in Phuket, 2 months if not in Phuket. That is for extension.

I would advise not doing anything with the account during the 2 months you need the money to be in the bank. There have been reports of extensions being denied for changing accounts at the same bank.

Correction : 3 months if in Phuket, 2 months if not in Phuket. That is for extension.

I don't recall Phuket asking for 3 months. The rules state 2 months. The only offices that I can recall asking for 3 months were a couple of small offices.