Asian flyers will set the standards, says Airbus

webfact

AIRLINES IN THE FUTURE

Asian flyers will set the standards, says Airbus

The Nation

Report looks into expectations and common needs between two groups of travellers

BANGKOK: -- Passengers from Asia will make up 45 per cent of global travellers in 2032, making them the dominant flyers of the 21st century shaping the future economy-class experience, according to the latest research report by Airbus.

Airbus published a new research report about the comfort demands of Asian economy-class passengers, "The Future of Comfort: Asia", conducted by global future consultancy Future Laboratory.

It reveals new insights into the evolving demands of tomorrow's increasingly influential Asian air passengers.

The research reveals two emerging typologies of Asian travellers who, because of the rise of social media and shared global online experiences, have an increased knowledge of flying and will demand an enhanced level of comfort.

The first group is emerging affluent travellers in the first stage of their careers, aged between 18 and 34, highly knowledgeable and wowed by services and add-ons.

The other group is high-income frequent travellers. These are more experienced flyers, in the middle of their career and focused on personal time and comfort in the strictest sense, with seat width a key factor in their perception of comfort.

While their comfort expectations vary slightly, there is a clear commonality on the importance they place that a number of factors including sleep, well-being and relaxation leading to higher productivity.

Business travellers

This is of particular relevance to Asia, where emerging markets are opening up business opportunities and 70 per cent of travellers in economy class are flying for business in Asia (highest percentage globally).

Asian passengers believe that the chance to rest during a flight unlocks higher levels of productivity, as opposed to the Western view of seeing this time as a chance to catch up on work.

A productive flight is seen by Asian flyers as one where they can relax (78 per cent), sleep (58 per cent) and then work (56 per cent) - in that order.

Asians are willing to pay more for more seat space as it symbolises improved comfort and brings more relaxation.

The majority of Asian consumers (58 per cent) believe that the seat itself is the top factor affecting their sense of comfort when flying. About 60 per cent believe that wider seats are the top requirement for "improved standards of comfort" and 42 per cent would pay more for increased seat width.

Wider seats improve views of on-board productivity (53 per cent) followed by more legroom (48 per cent), adjustable seating (43 per cent), quiet zones (42 per cent), and increased arm room (37 per cent).

Service levels motivate Asian economy class passengers to book a flight with a particular airline brand. Better cabin service is the top factor influencing future booking decisions.

Macro trends

The report also identified three future macro trends for comfort demanded by the Asian market. They include:

_ Wi-Fi-enabled cabins with telephone and conference calling facilities will be seen as a prerequisite for the large numbers of Asian business passengers travelling to unlock business opportunities in a world of 24/7 access.

_ Having already made its mark in entertainment and retail, 3D is expected to be offering more immersive film and shopping experience on board.

Airbus is future-proofing aircraft currently in production with the integration of fourth-generation in-flight entertainment systems, including three-dimensional video.

_ Asian flyers agree that greater in-flight well-being allows passengers to relax and unwind, which are seen as key to productivity.

Air quality, cabin quietness, mood lighting and seat space are areas where Airbus says it is working to promote passenger well-being.

Kevin Keniston, Airbus' head of passenger comfort, said the voice of the Asian passenger was fast becoming the dominant voice in the aviation industry and would dictate the future of flight. This new research clearly shows that comfort is paramount to satisfying the needs of long haul travel for the Asian population now and in the future.

"Airbus offers airlines the ability to respond to these market demands now. Our unique aircraft designs deliver comfort without compromise; the ability to offer passengers high levels of comfort while simultaneously delivering the most fuel-efficient economics to airlines," he said.

Martin Raymond, co-founder of The Future Laboratory, added that the report revealed rich insights into the needs of passengers across eight key Asian markets, and the unique cultural and behavioural drivers around the notion of comfort.

It is clear that the emerging typologies of Asian travellers place comfort at the heart of their purchase decisions.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-15

Well considering that 4.226 billion people live in Asia (60% of global population) I would say that representing 45% of global fliers is pretty crap really.

So the other 40% of the global population represent 55% of all flyers.

So on a pro-rata basis, non-asians are setting the standards.

• Like 1

This report flies in the face of what airlines are actually doing right now to serve the Asian market on international flights. Air Canada has just broken a record for cramming the most people into a 777 extended range, high density aircraft. They have just put 4 of these brand new Boeings into service. Two of them service the Vancouver to Hong Kong 13 hour flight and seat 458 passengers!!

These aircraft have 17" wide seats in economy. No that is not a typo. Seventeen inches!! 10 people wide in a Boeing 777 !!!

In all my years of flying, I have never been so dissapointed a flying experience. When you consider that these aircraft are brand new, which usually lends to a better experience; these are very dark days for air travel indeed. The reality so far is that the high growth in Asian travel is leading to more condensed seating and much lower value for the flying consumer.

Edited by Phil Water
  • Like 1

This report flies in the face of what airlines are actually doing right now to serve the Asian market on international flights. Air Canada has just broken a record for cramming the most people into a 777 extended range, high density aircraft. They have just put 4 of these brand new Boeings into service. To of them service the Vancouver to Hong Kong 13 hour flight and seat 458 passengers!!

These aircraft have 17" wide seats in economy. No that is not a typo. Seventeen inches!! 10 people wide in a Boeing 777 !!!

All Emirates 777s have 3-43 configurations and 17" wide seats. They have had for a long time now.

This report flies in the face of what airlines are actually doing right now to serve the Asian market on international flights. Air Canada has just broken a record for cramming the most people into a 777 extended range, high density aircraft. They have just put 4 of these brand new Boeings into service. Two of them service the Vancouver to Hong Kong 13 hour flight and seat 458 passengers!!

In all my years of flying, I have never been so dissapointed a flying experience. When you consider that these aircraft are brand new, which usually lends to a better experience; these are very dark days for air travel indeed. The reality so far is that the high growth in Asian travel is leading to more condensed seating and much lower value for the flying consumer.

17" is a common seat width. And consumers have spoken. We'll put up with almost any level of discomfort if it saves a few bucks on the ticket.

I think that's going to be the legacy of the newly emerging Asian economy traveling class- stack 'em deep and fly 'em cheap. Not what I would call "setting the standard"- at least not without biting my tongue.

I'm wondering if Euro to N American travelers are experiencing the same phenomena, or is it only the Asian market where they can get away with it?

Edited by impulse

17" is a common seat width. And consumers have spoken. We'll put up with almost any level of discomfort if it saves a few bucks on the ticket.

I think that's going to be the legacy of the newly emerging Asian economy traveling class- stack 'em deep and fly 'em cheap. Not what I would call "setting the standard"- at least not without biting my tongue.

I'm wondering if Euro to N American travelers are experiencing the same phenomena, or is it only the Asian market where they can get away with it?

Other than some very tiny regional jets, these seats on these 4 B-777ERs are the smallest seats that Air Canada offers.

Other than some very tiny regional jets, these seats on these 4 B-777ERs are the smallest seats that Air Canada offers.

Good info. I was recalling the recent spat between Boeing and Airbus over Airbus' 18" seat width. Here's a little historical:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304384104579141941949066648

My main point, however is that North Americans and Europeans typically did their personal traveling in a car, for all their lives. To lure them onto an airplane requires some similar level of comfort.

Asians just getting up to the economic status of world travelers are accustomed to being packed like sardines into trains and buses, and on bicycle seats, having only recently achieved the ability to afford a car. Even the crappiest jet from Aeroflot is a step up in comfort level from what they grew up with. Letting the Asian economy class travel market set the standard for airline comfort is a race to the bottom.

It would be no different if the 3-4 star hotels of the world started putting squat toilets and toilet paper vending machines in their rooms, because that's what their "new customers" grew up with.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1