American LP Gas fittings vs Thai

bonzersmom

Contemplating bringing our American Gas BBQ grill to Thailand (have you seen the prices of BBQ Grills in Thailand?) The grill is fitted for 20 pound LP cylinders.

My questions are: Has anyone imported an American BBQ grill? were the fittings compatible with thai LP Tanks? If they weren't compatible was it difficult to find adaptors? What about regulators? The majority of American Gas BBQ grills say they are designed for 20 pound cylinders. Since most LP cylinders in Thailand are 20 KG obviously they are significantly larger than US cylinders. Do the grills work using US regulators or do you need an adaptor kit for that also?

Thank you for your patience with these questions which have probably been asked many times before but I couldn't find in a search.

Hi, I brought a Weber over from the States and, no, the regulator and bottle fittings differ and not compatible with Thai equipment. I just bought a small Thai bottle and regulator then connected the hose to the grill. All worked great and back in business again.

Cheers.

I bought a Weber at True Value Hardware in Pattaya. It had the new style American connector -- not compatible with Thai LP bottles. True Value sells and adapter. So I use my weber with the adapter and Thai gas bottles. there is a True Value Hardware in BKK as well. I attached a list of BKK GPS coordinates. You can find the location of the BKK TV there.

Don't ask for more as to location. I live and breathe by the GPS and have no idea as to any other way to locate anything.

Another option would be to chop off the Weber regulator and replace it with a Thai regulator. Just be sure that the Thai regulator comes somewhere close to Weber in terms of output pressure. I tried and tried to get that spec from Weber, but they steadfastly refused to give it to me, insisting that I use their regulator and that was all I needed to know. Obviously, they feared that giving me such information would create liability for Weber.

Edit: By the way, although that Weber Grill cost me double what they cost in the US, it is one of the single best purchases I have ever made. I love that thing and use it all the time. Nobody makes a gas grill like Weber.

BANGKOK GPS WAYPOINTS.doc

Edited by Ticketmaster

Ticketmaster, on 16 Feb 2014 - 17:44, said:

I bought a Weber at True Value Hardware in Pattaya. It had the new style American connector -- not compatible with Thai LP bottles. True Value sells and adapter. So I use my weber with the adapter and Thai gas bottles. there is a True Value Hardware in BKK as well. I attached a list of BKK GPS coordinates. You can find the location of the BKK TV there.

Don't ask for more as to location. I live and breathe by the GPS and have no idea as to any other way to locate anything.

Another option would be to chop off the Weber regulator and replace it with a Thai regulator. Just be sure that the Thai regulator comes somewhere close to Weber in terms of output pressure. I tried and tried to get that spec from Weber, but they steadfastly refused to give it to me, insisting that I use their regulator and that was all I needed to know. Obviously, they feared that giving me such information would create liability for Weber.

Edit: By the way, although that Weber Grill cost me double what they cost in the US, it is one of the single best purchases I have ever made. I love that thing and use it all the time. Nobody makes a gas grill like Weber.

Yeah, been a Weber fan forever. Used their charcoal kettles for over 40 years but have gotten lazy in retirement and prefer the ease of gas. Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

www.bbqthai.com Bringing a Weber over would be kind of silly, sounds like something the missionairies or NGO people would do as their moves are on someone else's dime. A cheap hibatchi will cook steaks better. Fine steak restaurants cook at 1600f; your Weber will be more like 350F. They are good for chicken/ribs...cotton products, stainless steel products, and new balance shoes will pay a much larger dividend; once you get here.

Cut off the US regulator and buy a Thai regulator and bottle

That's what I did

In Thailand, they have two basic regulators. A smaller one for the regular stoves most poeple have in their kitchens and a high volume one for those big cookers.

Which one did you use with your Weber? Also can you say if it affected performance at all? Hotter? Cooler?

My Weber does not seem to get as hot here as it did in the States. Somebody told me that in the States they have propane in the bottles, while here the gas is a propane butane mix with a lower BTU rating. He said a higher volume regulator would improve my Weber, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

Normally you use Butane and relevant regulator, Propane is hotter..I guess you could use propane regulator and propane gas

However I have no issues using Butane

You can adjust some butane regulators to increase the gas flow rate, I recently purchase a new regulator for my cooker and the flame was small...so I increased the gas flow rate on the regulator