The slaves who live and die on Thailand’s fishing boats

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Staggering that virtually nothing is done....2014 and slavery continues to be doing so well in the region.

Token gestures by the authorities to try to have Thailand' rating reduced on the human trafficking register....but as usual...no convictions ever!

Who are these fishing fleet owners....? There can't be so many of them that they can't be known.....!

• Like 2

Yes, and UN, Human rights organisation and other esteemed organisations of the global community are only interested in Democracy upheld in Thailand.

The UN's hands are tied in Thailand ... by the Thai Govt (I mean all of the Govts ..... not only this one ... but including this one).

I believe it takes a security council decision to do something in a country against the wishes of the host country itself.

I have some experience on this matter as a Thai friend comes from a fishing village with hundreds of boats moored on the multitude of piers.

I have been out recreational fishing a few times from this area and it is quite obvious from a walk-around that a large number of workers are non-Thai. I believe conditions are basic and the work tough. I have heard that beatings may be given.

I would think if this was seriously being tackled then spot checks at ports around Thailand could be effective very quickly.

On a more positive note, my friend tells me that someone in the village has gone on the run due to police investigations on illegal workers , so perhaps something is being done.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Apparently not a new issue:

Thailand ignoring slaves at sea, says EJF report on Burmese migrants

Burmese men kept as forced labourers on shrimping boats in Kantang, Thailand, says Environmental Justice Foundation

men-unloading-boat-001.jpg

Thailand is facing fresh allegations of using slave labour in its fishing industry with the launch of a new investigation into the sale, abuse and exploitation of migrant workers on Thai fishing ships.

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2013/may/29/thailand-slaves-sea-burmese-migrants

Edited by Morakot

Yes, and UN, Human rights organisation and other esteemed organisations of the global community are only interested in Democracy upheld in Thailand.

Since when? They follow business interests and where to get it easiest. Saudi Arabia democracy is good enough if the oil flows.

• Like 2

It's about time this is exposed ....

another peek behind the "Thai Smile"

I read a book back in the 80's called Behind The Smile ( not sure if its still available ) its worth a read, fishing slavery is only the tip of the iceberg.

• Like 1

Forced to fish: Slavery on Thailand's trawlers

By Becky Palmstrom BBC News, Thailand

23 January 2014 Last updated at 23:11

_72438855_img_0299.jpg

Human Rights Watch says the use of forced labour on the boats is "systematic" and "pervasive"

Thailand is the third largest exporter of seafood in the world, supplying supermarkets in Europe and America, but it's accused of crewing fishing boats with Burmese and Cambodian men who've been sold and forced to work as slaves.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25814718

From Thai Visa last year: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/649761-thailand-upset-by-human-trafficking-watch-list/

BANGKOK, June 28 – Thailand will regularly report to the United States on the progress of its efforts to solve human trafficking in an attempt to be removed from Tier 2 Watch List, according to a senior foreign ministry official.

Sek Wannamethee, director general of the America and South Pacific Department, said the US recently released its Trafficking in Persons (TIP) Report which placed Thailand on the Tier 2 Watch List for the fourth consecutive year.

The US granted Thailand a waiver from an otherwise required downgrade to Tier 3 because the government has a written plan that, if implemented, would constitute making significant efforts to meet the minimum standards for the elimination of trafficking.

Mr Sek said he has discussed with related agencies including the Courts of Justice on the possibility of speeding up trials of human trafficking cases.

Thailand will update the TIP on development of the country’s trafficking solutions in November this year and January next year while a TIP delegation will visit the kingdom in August – an opportunity for Thailand to thoroughly explain the issue.

"We hope that Thailand will be lifted from the unfavourable list next year," Mr Sek said. (MCOT online news)

The report here: http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/210742.pdf details various people trafficking issues, including this:

A report released by an international organization in January 2011 noted prevalent forced labor conditions, including debt bondage, among Cambodian and Burmese individuals recruited—some forcefully or through fraud—for work in the Thai fishing industry. According to the report, Burmese, Cambodian, and Thai men were trafficked onto Thai fishing boats that traveled throughout Southeast Asia and beyond, where they remained at sea for up to several years, not paid, forced to work 18 to 20 hours per day for seven days a week, and threatened and physically beaten. Similarly, an earlier UN survey found that 29 of 49 (58 percent) surveyed migrant fishermen trafficked aboard Thai fishing boats had reported witnessing a fellow fishermen killed by boat captains in instances when they were too weak or sick to work.

Edited by arthurboy

It's about time this is exposed ....

another peek behind the "Thai Smile"

I read a book back in the 80's called Behind The Smile ( not sure if its still available ) its worth a read, fishing slavery is only the tip of the iceberg.

is this it?

http://www.abebooks.com/products/isbn/9789748566689?clickid=QPs0kZQ0r1fpVw%3A0ZN2w228iUkTUrkzTTW0wzw0&cm_mmc=aff-_-ir-_-64682-_-77798&afn_sr=impact

this is not thai people.

why we care?

can stay in myanmar or cambodia if dont like!!

we dont ask you to come here.

this is THAI land.

absolutely. and any thai that travels abroad and has a problem please dont complain.

it is not your country!

no one asked you leave thailand.

no one asked you to travel here!

• Like 1

this is a well known situation at all levels of thai government and internationally.

there was a recent bbc documentary about slavery on thai fishing boats. the corruption at all levels was clear for anyone to see. the police pay lip service to the problem and collect their cut.

the EU representative in thailand was interviewed - as the EU is a major market for thai fish - and he basically wasnt interested in doing anything to pressurize the thai government to respond to the problem.

too many people are making too much money