Squeaky/whisteling noise coming from the bike at 5-50kph (cbr500)

sup3r1or

Hello everyone,

2 days ago I started hearing squeaky sound coming from somewhere, it sounded like birds singing on a good weather. At first I thought it wasnt from the bike but now today I can hear it very well, its gotten louder.

I cant understand where it coming from, I only hear it from 5-50 kph, comes and goes every 2-3 seconds. Now if I pull clutch and hold it, it goes away. If I release accelerator it goes away as well. In neutral there is no noise, standing still revving no noise.

No warning lights, nothing unusual. What could this be?

The squeeky wheel syndrome. Or maybe brakes binding or a small stone between the pad/disc/drum.

Check for sideplay on the rims - if too much play it could be the bearings. Put the bike on a rear stand and spin the rear wheel manually or actually run under power to ID the noise from the rear. Spin the front wheel manually checking for any binding/friction.

Try riding under power and apply rear brakes at the same time to see if this eliminates the noise. If it does, it will definitely be the rear wheel and probably brake related.

Check the brakes and blow out with compressed air to free them from dust or stone chips. Take the caliper/s off for a thorough inspection if necessary. If the rear brake is drum, give it a good blowout with the air and check the brake shoe springs have a little grease on the contact points and are returning freely.

If you can't reproduce the noise from the wheels, it may be a dry suspension joint that can be intermittent and appear to be cyclical as in from a wheel. Spray lube the top and bottom rear suspension joints with silicone.

Otherwise, lube everything in sight (not your pads/drums obviously), and even lube the wheel bearings even though they're probably sealed.

If all else fails - ear plugs.

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 1

The squeeky wheel syndrome. Or maybe brakes binding or a small stone between the pad/disc/drum.

Check for sideplay on the rims - if too much play it could be the bearings. Put the bike on a rear stand and spin the rear wheel manually or actually run under power to ID the noise from the rear. Spin the front wheel manually checking for any binding/friction.

Try riding under power and apply rear brakes at the same time to see if this eliminates the noise. If it does, it will definitely be the rear wheel and probably brake related.

Check the brakes and blow out with compressed air to free them from dust or stone chips. Take the caliper/s off for a thorough inspection if necessary. If the rear brake is drum, give it a good blowout with the air and check the brake shoe springs have a little grease on the contact points and are returning freely.

If you can't reproduce the noise from the wheels, it may be a dry suspension joint that can be intermittent and appear to be cyclical as in from a wheel. Spray lube the top and bottom rear suspension joints with silicone.

Otherwise, lube everything in sight (not your pads/drums obviously), and even lube the wheel bearings even though they're probably sealed.

If all else fails - ear plugs.

You must have failed to read the posting, just like llc2 did, to suggest that. From OP:

Now if I pull clutch and hold it, it goes away. If I release accelerator it goes away as well. In neutral there is no noise

That indicates it's a drive train issue, not brake and not wheels. that happens under load. Read B1ade answer that is right on the spot.

Dont worry , the impending oil leak from the engine , when the camshaft bolt falls out , will quieten the squeaks !. You could check the drive chain alignment/lubrication and brakes/wheel bearings , by spinning the rear wheel when the bike is supported on the center/side stand.

Definitely a loose sprocket on the front rotor.

I don't know what is the funniest part of this preposterous remote diagnosing single liner. "Definitely" is quite inspiring, but even "loose spoket" and "front rotor" and hi-runner for nonsense clap2.gif

Wel done, keep doing!