Where to buy reasonable quality mattress at sensible price.

DeeMockMark

Does anyone out there know where it is possible to buy a reasonable mattress for a sensible price in CM?

I am looking for something simliar to that which is made by a company called 'dunlopillo' and it's made from foam and I'm guessing will last quite a while as the springs won't give out and the edges collapse (this is the problem I am having.)

Also a futon like matteress will do. But I had little luck in a previous post about that.

Any help greatly appreciated

I went the compressed foam route. queen; 5750 same day delivery 6'. 10 year guarantee. They will give you a free three day trial if you don't take the plastic off. Not as hard as the rubber, which is 5000, but firmer than the springs, and probably too firm for many falang. I've heard too many complaints from farang over the years on rock hard mattresses....so it's up to you. Never seen or heard of any indication that the Thais are prone to back trouble, and I doubt they're shellin' out 25K at HomePro for a Western Style. www.chiangmaimattress.com. They are made locally, which is a good thing.

• Like 1

Baan and beyound is another possibility and most malls seem to have good specials from time to time. Eg, from 60k down to 15k. Just gotta keep eyes and ears open.

Sent from my GT-I8552B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I went the compressed foam route. queen; 5750 same day delivery 6'. 10 year guarantee. They will give you a free three day trial if you don't take the plastic off. Not as hard as the rubber, which is 5000, but firmer than the springs, and probably too firm for many falang. I've heard too many complaints from farang over the years on rock hard mattresses....so it's up to you. Never seen or heard of any indication that the Thais are prone to back trouble, and I doubt they're shellin' out 25K at HomePro for a Western Style. www.chiangmaimattress.com. They are made locally, which is a good thing.

I am going to give them a try. Thx thighlander.

Edited by DeeMockMark

Thanks for this link!

I want order one on the chiang may mattress website, when delivery is free!

Can someone tell me what is the most soft mattresses the have in stock?

My one is to hard with 100 kg Weight

And here in isaan is impossible to find a soft one all are hard like stone, and have a fedder inside that swings and make muscle pain

Been through this loop. Firstly you spend a third of your life in bed. So treat yourself to the best you can possibly afford. I know what's available in CM and would recommend only 2 shops. Robinson's in any central, or index living Mall. Go for a western imported brand mattress. For me individual pocket sprung mattresses are superior.

Google pocket sprung mattress UK.

The more pockets the better and accordingly more expensive. My latest purchase (4000 pocket springs) was 40,000 baht from airport Central. The department head knows his springs.

• Like 1

The mattress mentioned for THB 5750 will be exactly that. It may last for a few months. In Thailand I have found that most mattresses under 18-25K are basically junk. We've bought 2 mattresses here for 15K (top name brands marked down on promotions) and they were absolute junk that lasted about 2 years. And yes, many Thais are spending big money on their mattresses. I see them buying in Home Pro and Central all the time.

I also agree with the recommendation of buying a mattress from IKEA. I owned 2 IKEA mattresses when I lived in Europe and never slept better in my life; more comfortable even than the Simmons and Sealy brands I owned in the USA. IKEA is a top notch company and they make great products. When I left Europe I sold my IKEA mattresses, pillows, and duvet's for almost as much as I paid for them new as they were in such demand. In 5 years they didn't show any wear at all. They are that well-made.I've decided to buy another mattress from IKEA in Thailand. And...they are guaranteed for 25 years... When we tried to claim the 5 or 10 year guarantee (after only 2 years) on our Thai brand mattresses we were told by the seller that it is impossible to get a Thai company to replace a mattresses. He said he has tried numerous times over the years without success and that the "guarantee" means nothing. I'll take a Swedish product any day over a Thai made product.

Some of the people advertising here and in Phuket for latex mattresses are asking way too much for what they are.

• Like 2

To the OP; Dunlopillo is natural latex. The chiangmaimattress only sells rubber and compressed foam, which, is made 100% from petrochemicals.same as car tires. Petro chemical rubber is vastly different from natural latex, and not in a good way. I think that besides being a potential health hazard to have ones face pushed into a mat full of chemicals for hours on end, there is also a fire hazard one would assume. Check out all the different types of synthetic rubber:

Table of common synthetic rubbers[edit]

ISO 1629 Code Technical Name Common Names ACM Polyacrylate Rubber AEM Ethylene-acrylate Rubber AU Polyester Urethane BIIR Bromo Isobutylene Isoprene Bromobutyl BR Polybutadiene Buna CB CIIR Chloro Isobutylene Isoprene Chlorobutyl, Butyl CR Polychloroprene Chloroprene, Neoprene CSM Chlorosulphonated Polyethylene Hypalon ECO Epichlorohydrin ECO, Epichlorohydrin, Epichlore, Epichloridrine, Herclor, Hydrin EP Ethylene Propylene EPDM Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer EPDM, Nordel EU Polyether Urethane FFKM Perfluorocarbon Rubber FKM Fluoronated Hydrocarbon Viton, Kalrez, Fluorel, Chemraz FMQ Fluoro Silicone FMQ, Silicone Rubber FPM Fluorocarbon Rubber HNBR Hydrogenated Nitrile Butadiene HNBR IR Polyisoprene (Synthetic) Natural Rubber IIR Isobutylene Isoprene Butyl Butyl NBR Acrylonitrile Butadiene NBR, Nitrile rubber, Perbunan, Buna-N PU Polyurethane PU, Polyurethane SBR Styrene Butadiene SBR, Buna-S, GRS, Buna VSL, Buna SE SEBS Styrene Ethylene Butylene Styrene Copolymer SEBS Rubber SI Polysiloxane Silicone Rubber VMQ Vinyl Methyl Silicone Silicone Rubber XNBR Acrylonitrile Butadiene Carboxy Monomer XNBR, Carboxylated Nitrile XSBR Styrene Butadiene Carboxy Monomer YBPO Thermoplastic Polyether-ester YSBR Styrene Butadiene Block Copolymer YXSBR Styrene Butadiene Carboxy Block Copolymer

If I can not pronounce it, I tend to try to stay away from it. Thats just me.

The mattresses at www.latexinnovations.com are certified by a 3rd party to contain ONLY 100% natural latex. I tend to worry a bit about carcinogens as I get older, and its nice knowing that my mattress is not a potential source of them.thumbsup.gif

Good point!

The mattress mentioned for THB 5750 will be exactly that. It may last for a few months. In Thailand I have found that most mattresses under 18-25K are basically junk. We've bought 2 mattresses here for 15K (top name brands marked down on promotions) and they were absolute junk that lasted about 2 years. And yes, many Thais are spending big money on their mattresses. I see them buying in Home Pro and Central all the time.

I also agree with the recommendation of buying a mattress from IKEA. I owned 2 IKEA mattresses when I lived in Europe and never slept better in my life; more comfortable even than the Simmons and Sealy brands I owned in the USA. IKEA is a top notch company and they make great products. When I left Europe I sold my IKEA mattresses, pillows, and duvet's for almost as much as I paid for them new as they were in such demand. In 5 years they didn't show any wear at all. They are that well-made.I've decided to buy another mattress from IKEA in Thailand. And...they are guaranteed for 25 years... When we tried to claim the 5 or 10 year guarantee (after only 2 years) on our Thai brand mattresses we were told by the seller that it is impossible to get a Thai company to replace a mattresses. He said he has tried numerous times over the years without success and that the "guarantee" means nothing. I'll take a Swedish product any day over a Thai made product.

Some of the people advertising here and in Phuket for latex mattresses are asking way too much for what they are.

The more pockets the better and accordingly more expensive. My latest purchase (4000 pocket springs) was 40,000 baht from airport Central. The department head knows his springs.

18-25k is better than 40k on my walket. It's fine if you have the baht.

Edited by DeeMockMark

Did I miss it or did VIBE declare his interest in Latex Innovations when making such positive claims for their products on this thread??

For what its worth I have bought cheaper mattresses here and sleep like a baby. My personal view is that mattresses are another area where a fool and their money are easily parted, - if you are lucky enough to be a good sleeper.

But then I can and have slept on the floor, slept in airplanes and slept strap-hanging on commuter trains in the early morning rush hour in the west.

If you are unlucky enough to be a bad sleeper, I guess their may be many other causes than the mattress.......

• Like 2

I went to their website... It is a bit sketchy... They have a map location but do not say if there is an actual store with operating hours?... It's a bit out of the way so I would like to know that before I drive out there?...

I went to their website... It is a bit sketchy... They have a map location but do not say if there is an actual store with operating hours?... It's a bit out of the way so I would like to know that before I drive out there?...

From the time I called them, and spoke to Aom; my new mattress was professionally delivered in less than four hours. After two nights on it; I will never buy a spring mattress again.

Did I miss it or did VIBE declare his interest in Latex Innovations when making such positive claims for their products on this thread??

For what its worth I have bought cheaper mattresses here and sleep like a baby. My personal view is that mattresses are another area where a fool and their money are easily parted, - if you are lucky enough to be a good sleeper.

But then I can and have slept on the floor, slept in airplanes and slept strap-hanging on commuter trains in the early morning rush hour in the west.

If you are unlucky enough to be a bad sleeper, I guess their may be many other causes than the mattress.......

I couldn't agree more. There is more marketing and hype in the mattress business than the airconditioning business. People go into mattress stores and come out with several thousand usd in consumer debt at 22% interest. It's all high pressure salespeople/all BS. I bought one at Bedmart, and they said any mark on it at all would void the warranty, unless I bought a special type of extended warranty. I told them to FO. A couple of months ago, I was sitting at a bar, and the drinkers were talking about the same subject. One guy stated that his living room carpet was more comfortable than his 4000 USD mattress. Oh, and one other thing: JUst how big do you think the import tariffs are on the Sealy and Serta? 100% wouldn't surprise me a bit, because it appears to be more than that on running shoes and shaving foam. Another few items that the Thai Government can gouge the foreigner on taxes with little impact on its citizens, who don't really use any of the three.

From the time I called them, and spoke to Aom; my new mattress was professionally delivered in less than four hours. After two nights on it; I will never buy a spring mattress again.

Does it have a chemical smell. I am sensitive to chemical smells.

Not sure I want to buy a matress over the phone coffee1.gif

There's a small mattress shop roughly at the coordinates below. My wife went to index or robinsion's or somewhere, found a mattress she liked then went to this place and they gave her a discount. These people are completely innocent of any knowledge of English so if you can't speak Thai, best to bring along someone who can.

18.751661, 98.972292

Does it have a chemical smell. I am sensitive to chemical smells.

Yes, it would off gas. You may or may not be able to smell it, but you will be exposed to it.

Should I be worried that my mattress is off-gassing? Are there other options available on the market?

There are many different types of foams and batting materials used in mattresses, but most fall under the following categories: latex mattresses, memory foam mattresses, air mattresses, innerspring coil mattresses, and futon mattresses. Chemicals used in synthetic foams (usually petroleum-based) and some fire retarding agents (commonly boric acid) off-gas (emit fumes). Mattresses made using these chemicals can potentially cause reactions in people with chemical sensitivities and most have not been tested on young children or for the proximity and time that we spend sleeping on a mattress.

Of particular concern is polyurethane foam, which is petroleum-based and therefore highly flammable. Manufacturers add toxic fire-retardant chemicals, which themselves off-gas, and exposure can damage the thyroid and liver and cause hyperactivity, changes in motor behavior, and other brain functions. According to the International Sleep Products Association, most companies use barrier fabrics such as cotton treated with boric acid or rayon treated with silica, as well as fire-resistant materials such as modacrylic fiber (which contains antimony oxide, a carcinogen), and melamine resin (which contains formaldehyde). More information can be found in this article about Flame Retardant Chemicals:http://www.ecolivingcenter.com/articles/flameretardants.html

Vibe is an expert on this as his wife has a company selling latex products

Since you are acting as the "sponsor police" here, I will inform you that the OP started a similar thread not to long ago when I informed him that my wife runs and owns Latex Innovations, who is a sponsor. But beside that, I thought this was a forum where you know, people SHARE their thoughts and opinions about things? Did I violate some forum rule that I am unaware of by stating my OPINION about synthetic rubber, springs mattresses and natural latex?

hmmm... raw nerve?!

This is the mattress I owned in Europe (even though I've been here 7 years now I distinctly remember the model) http://www.ikea.com/th/en/catalog/products/00158180/#/20158179 A 160 X 200 X 14 cm mattress costs only 10K THB and is it designed in Sweden. I don't know where it is manufactured. Probably not Thailand. It has a 25 year guarantee. I've never slept so well in all of my life. It's a fairly firm mattress. I'm going to buy two of them when I'm in the big mango in 2 weeks time. The 12K THB mattress we bought here in C.M. for the guest bedroom lasted a little over a year!

• Like 2