Where to buy reasonable quality mattress at sensible price.

DeeMockMark

Interesting thread....I'll soon be looking for a hard mattress - also called "firm" - can't stand soft mattresses, or the type where you bounce up to the ceiling and back every time you turn over...blink.pnglaugh.png

Does the surface of foam mattresses gradually "sink" during the night, with the constant weight all the time, I wonder?

King size might be ideal, though two single mattresses might be better - and stronger - with less "sinking", if any..

The company suggested bi Thighlander (post #2) sounds very good, though I could certainly be worried about any gas emissions (not my own, of course biggrin.png). The toppers from the sponsors sound good, too.

In all, a very good thread....hoping more suggestions will follow before the time comes to buy a mattress (or two)!

Cheers smile.png

" the type where you bounce up to the ceiling and back every time you turn over...xblink.png.pagespeed.ic.AQgCnSOpp_.pnglaugh.png.pagespeed.ce.SDkxrRteka.png"

Nice going! You just out-hyperbolized the master! clap2.gif

If you are looking for a hard mattress you are in the right country. One of Vibe's thinner toppers on a regular Thai style granite slab mattress might be a good firm-but-comfy option though.

• Like 1

Just took a look at Elektrified's link (at IKEA). Hmm....that looks quite nice, too. wink.png

I had an IKEA mattress back in Europe which was very good, although after a couple of years it did rather sink slightly at nights (or when sick and bed-bound). Mind you, it could well have been of a cheaper quality - I don't really remember.

Hey - Elektrified, you really driving down to BKK to pick up the stuff, yourself? Man, that's a long way just to get hold of 2 mattresses! whistling.gif

(Don't you forget the "protectors", either!) Grab a couple of 200 x 90s for me, too, while you're there!

The wife don't seem to be partial about the usual Thai mattresses - she reckons they don't last too long and tend to sag quite quickly.

I ain't too partial to spring mattresses - I always seem to end up with the one with the noisy or broken spring .....biggrin.png

Think I'd better read up on latex, rubber and pressed foam (as well as polyurethane)........

Cheers smile.png

Just took a look at Elektrified's link (at IKEA). Hmm....that looks quite nice, too. wink.png

I had an IKEA mattress back in Europe which was very good, although after a couple of years it did rather sink slightly at nights (or when sick and bed-bound). Mind you, it could well have been of a cheaper quality - I don't really remember.

Hey - Elektrified, you really driving down to BKK to pick up the stuff, yourself? Man, that's a long way just to get hold of 2 mattresses! whistling.gif

(Don't you forget the "protectors", either!) Grab a couple of 200 x 90s for me, too, while you're there!

The wife don't seem to be partial about the usual Thai mattresses - she reckons they don't last too long and tend to sag quite quickly.

I ain't too partial to spring mattresses - I always seem to end up with the one with the noisy or broken spring .....biggrin.png

Think I'd better read up on latex, rubber and pressed foam (as well as polyurethane)........

Cheers smile.png

Nah, I'm not making a special trip just for the mattresses. I'm gonna be there anyway. And I'm not driving.

I have bought so many levels of beds here in CM over the years! Frames and mattresses. I think I started out with mid-level stuff for myself and my guest rooms. I quickly changed around mine, looking for softer, better, etc. After maybe 4 beds, and after I bought a house, I sort of splurged and spent about $1000 for a queen mattress from Index Living Mall ...an import, but forget the name.

This year, I moved that into my guest room, and went back to Index Living Mall, after looking many other places, and got a King this time. I was pretty happy with my last bed, but since my daughter insisits she is going to be sleeping with me for life, and we have a few dogs cramming their way in too ...I just needed a bigger bed!

This time I went all out and I think I may have purchased their most expensive mattress, it was about $3000. And I got a new frame, that has an actual "box frame bottom". It has memory foam and springs and who knows what is in there??? I love it and have had it for 3-4 months now? I also can't remember the name, or model, but if someone wants to know, I can go rip off the sheets and read it for you.

I felt a bit guilty about buying that for a while, mostly the period before it arrived and I started to sleep in it. Since then, no guilt at all! That was a good decision and I would suggest anyone who can afford it, to do it! Well certainly, if you are like me and have some element of chronic pain in your life, this has made a big improvement for me.

I used to not be able to lift my feet, up to my knees, (a common move when one wants to put on pants for example) for about 2 hours after waking up, and medicating myself ...and NOW I CAN, right away! I probably am sounding like I am old, VERY old, but I am still in my 40s and just have a few problems, obviously .... that's so sad isn't it! Well, nothing like big improvements to put me in a better mood!

Before I moved to Thailand, I had Tempurpedic beds for at least 10 years and I have never been happier (well, bed-wise). This is the closest I have gotten to that with this new bed.

Anyway, if anyone wants to know exactly what I bought, please let me know, and I will go look up the labels and post or PM you.

I have bought so many levels of beds here in CM over the years! Frames and mattresses. I think I started out with mid-level stuff for myself and my guest rooms. I quickly changed around mine, looking for softer, better, etc. After maybe 4 beds, and after I bought a house, I sort of splurged and spent about $1000 for a queen mattress from Index Living Mall ...an import, but forget the name.

This year, I moved that into my guest room, and went back to Index Living Mall, after looking many other places, and got a King this time. I was pretty happy with my last bed, but since my daughter insisits she is going to be sleeping with me for life, and we have a few dogs cramming their way in too ...I just needed a bigger bed!

This time I went all out and I think I may have purchased their most expensive mattress, it was about $3000. And I got a new frame, that has an actual "box frame bottom". It has memory foam and springs and who knows what is in there??? I love it and have had it for 3-4 months now? I also can't remember the name, or model, but if someone wants to know, I can go rip off the sheets and read it for you.

I felt a bit guilty about buying that for a while, mostly the period before it arrived and I started to sleep in it. Since then, no guilt at all! That was a good decision and I would suggest anyone who can afford it, to do it! Well certainly, if you are like me and have some element of chronic pain in your life, this has made a big improvement for me.

I used to not be able to lift my feet, up to my knees, (a common move when one wants to put on pants for example) for about 2 hours after waking up, and medicating myself ...and NOW I CAN, right away! I probably am sounding like I am old, VERY old, but I am still in my 40s and just have a few problems, obviously .... that's so sad isn't it! Well, nothing like big improvements to put me in a better mood!

Before I moved to Thailand, I had Tempurpedic beds for at least 10 years and I have never been happier (well, bed-wise). This is the closest I have gotten to that with this new bed.

Anyway, if anyone wants to know exactly what I bought, please let me know, and I will go look up the labels and post or PM you.

my guess would be it's a Sealy Posturepedic. they sell them at Central for about 110,000.00 Baht. i saw a Thai couple buying one when i was looking at beds there a few months back. great beds. had one many years ago in the USA.

You are right! I just went and looked. It is a "Sealy Posturepedic Moonlight" and it was on sale when I got it, so I think I saved 20-30K baht or so ...I don't know, I remember that in USD, which was around $3K.

Yes, well I "make" good money too, but I mostly SAVE it, so this was a big purchase, but I love it and don't regret it!

• Like 1

I've been mattress shopping for the last week and found Index to be a decent place to try and buy the mattress although their beds are not much as far as designs go. They have stock from 8k to about 90k (with latex starting around 24k) and we chose a couple that came to just over 25k. Their promotions are spread across some good product and (although they are not quick to tell you) the "free" bedding set that comes with almost all the mattresses can be dumped for a further 3,000 price reduction - we have enough useless bolsters to last a lifetime and the quality and colour of the other items is indifferent at best. A better quality mattress protector will cost about 2,000 baht so unless you really like what they are offering, best to take the money and choose your own.

• Like 1

Elekrified said : Nah, I'm not making a special trip just for the mattresses. I'm gonna be there anyway. And I'm not driving.

Do you know if the mattresses are rolled up when you first buy them, or just plain flat ? Strange question maybe, but we know some folks in BKK who may just be able to pop out to IKEA at some time in the future and then send the mattresses on to us......

Thanks for an answer - and cheers smile.png

Elekrified said : Nah, I'm not making a special trip just for the mattresses. I'm gonna be there anyway. And I'm not driving.

Do you know if the mattresses are rolled up when you first buy them, or just plain flat ? Strange question maybe, but we know some folks in BKK who may just be able to pop out to IKEA at some time in the future and then send the mattresses on to us......

Thanks for an answer - and cheers smile.png

Yes I can answer that. I am not sure if they are "rolled up" but they are packed in a compressed manner to reduce shipping/storage space. You have to let the mattress sit for 3-4 days to de-compress. You could get your friends to buy the mattress and arrange for Nim See Seng or one of those companies to ship it up to you. Or even Thai Post will send it very cheaply. I will use one of those options.

Cheers!

I know Ikea deliver up here because we spoke to their driver when he delivered to a neighbour in our condo. May be worth checking their site or phoning to find minimum value for delivery

i like Ikea too and tried to order something. they said the delivery charge to Chiang Mai is 9,270 Baht. we called and asked if we could just wait until there were a few items coming up and split the charge and they flat out said "mai dai". not really worth it unless you are ordering a whole house full of stuff. if you look at their website and download the delivery fee schedule you will see the different rates.

Thanks - If the mattresses are compressed then it's often possible to roll them up yourself - if they aren't already done like that.

Here's a shipping tip that you might not use now, but keep for the future :

- the last time we got a bulky (and heavy!) object sent from BKK, we got our friends to load the object onto a Nakhornchai Air (spelling?) bus BKK - CM and we could pick it up the next day in CM (at the Arcade Terminal). You get issued with a packet number in BKK and you claim the number in CM (plus an ID copy). Cost - around 240Baht, I think it was. Good service and they handled the object very well - a real good deal!

Cheers smile.png

Yeah, IKEA....According to my gal, you can't use their catalogue to order and pay for items via the phone or internet - you have to physically go to IKEA and choose your items, then pay for them - and for any delivery charges, all at the same time. You can then go back home and wait for your stuff to arrive..........

Seems a weird way to do business in this day and age.......blink.png

• Like 1

We have a 'dunlopillo' mattress. It is an okay mattress and we lived with it for awhile. It is a bit on the hard side. We saw a previous topic regarding Latex Innovations, looked at their website and decided to get the mattress topper. We were going to leave town so we called Mam to talk about delivery and payment. She said they don't store the items and she gets them made as you order. She called them to make sure they could complete the mattress topper in time. We paid by bank transfer which was nice since we don't want to pay foreign transaction fees for our credit cards. The topper arrived on time and we slept very soundly. It was the best sleep we had in awhile! We also noticed that we don't feel the mattress bouncing when one of us gets in or out of bed any more. We are very happy with the product and the good, efficient service. So thank you to the people who commented on the other topic (I can't find it right now).

OP - I hope this is helpful to you.

• Like 1

We have a 'dunlopillo' mattress. It is an okay mattress and we lived with it for awhile. It is a bit on the hard side. We saw a previous topic regarding Latex Innovations, looked at their website and decided to get the mattress topper. We were going to leave town so we called Mam to talk about delivery and payment. She said they don't store the items and she gets them made as you order. She called them to make sure they could complete the mattress topper in time. We paid by bank transfer which was nice since we don't want to pay foreign transaction fees for our credit cards. The topper arrived on time and we slept very soundly. It was the best sleep we had in awhile! We also noticed that we don't feel the mattress bouncing when one of us gets in or out of bed any more. We are very happy with the product and the good, efficient service. So thank you to the people who commented on the other topic (I can't find it right now).

OP - I hope this is helpful to you.

Sawaddee ka Khun Elaine, This is Mam . Thank you so much for your comments. I'm happy that you like the topper . I'm so appreciated for your comments . Is it ok if i copy your comments on our website page ? Thank you in advance. :)