Registering a Bike Made in Thailand

ATF

Used i.e. secondhand bikes are not allowed to be brought into Thailand period! This law was pushed through by the big bike companies about two years ago. The only exception is if you already own the bike overseas, and I am not sure regarding how long the timeframe has to be, but aside from taxes the only stipulation is you have to keep it in your name for three years.

Please don't take my word for it and get proper legal advice before trying to import one. However I believe this to be true in principle.

WRONG ! used big bikes and cars are still coming in legally and getting registered but you need to be a pro , with a registered companies and contacts to do it , There is NO new law against it as that would contravene Asian and WTC agreements just better enforcement of previous regulations in order to get more money from the gray importers .I have explained this many times before ,

Used i.e. secondhand bikes are not allowed to be brought into Thailand period! This law was pushed through by the big bike companies about two years ago. The only exception is if you already own the bike overseas, and I am not sure regarding how long the timeframe has to be, but aside from taxes the only stipulation is you have to keep it in your name for three years.

Please don't take my word for it and get proper legal advice before trying to import one. However I believe this to be true in principle.

WRONG ! used big bikes and cars are still coming in legally and getting registered but you need to be a pro , with a registered companies and contacts to do it , There is NO new law against it as that would contravene Asian and WTC agreements just better enforcement of previous regulations in order to get more money from the gray importers .I have explained this many times before ,

Well if it's a law or a guideline or whatever it is extremely difficult to bring in a used bike unless for personal use. If you have a copy of the exact law I am sure the guys on the forum would like to read it.

If you build a motorcycle in Thailand from parts, and you're not a registered / licensed motorcycle company that has all the paperwork to do it legally, the motorcycle you build will still have to pass the Thai safety and environmental testing procedure.. And you will encounter the usual difficulty if you try to register it...

Do you know you can configure the specifications of your Ducati in Thailand http://www.ducatithailand.com/special_configurator/index.do

"Thai safety and environmental testing"?!?!? What the hell is that? Didn't know there was even that issue in this country! I mean pick-ups overloaded, tandem trucks overloaded, 10 year olds on motor bikes, trucks made of spare parts and leaking water all over the streets, exhaust systems that seem to not work, huge clouds of diesel exhaust spewing forth, a driver's test that seems to only be concerned with you being able to tell the difference between the colors of traffic lights, a yellow line down the middle of the road that is to be considered nothing but a suggestion, police that do not care what is being done on their roads, drivers talking on cell phones and eating at the same time, small children (any child for that matter) not bucked in, rules of the road that are made up by whomever is driving, the idea that bigger has the right-of-way no matter what the signs or the situations tell you, roads with holes in them that you could easily take a bath in, those that ride or drive (!) the wrong way down the highway or local street, again cops that do not care (and if they do only ask for some tea money), burning anything you want in the open, throwing garbage out the window... no matter what it might be, LPG fueled trucks that cannot make it up a hill of any grade but in the outside lane because the inside on is either nothing but holes or seems to have slipped down the bank, coaches that scream by you just to get to that red light (oh... yes... not just busses), blue, red, yellow, green added on flashing lights that have no purpose at all except to confuse, trucks piled high with stuff and have people sitting on the top of it all, 5 people on a scooter... with babies, road workers with no indications that they are even there who wander into on-coming traffic (equipment and all), a speed limit that seems to depend upon what you want to do no matter the conditions and if there is anyone even at the Traffic Police 'station' that you are about to pass at Warp Factor 9.... oh... I could go on!

So what "Thai safety and environmental testing"? Oh, just build the dam thing and have fun! Just keep 2000 bht in stand-by for that cop that actually needs to pay his cell phone bill!

whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pnwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pnwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn

5HF-60670_2-Steel-Letter-and-Number-Stam

Ducati frames are engraved by a computer machine stylus

Yeah I don't think the DLT cares. when the engine for my Ranger was delivered with no engine number they told me to stamp the number from the old engine into the new one.

I'm not living in LOS yet but I'm in the motorcycle business and not knowing the local laws, I can only speak logically.

If you've imported the frame legally then you'll have paperwork to replace a damaged frame from your wrecked bike or a bought wreck and restamp it as previously stated here, the same applies to the engine, with the blessing of the authorities, the

only problem i see with to OP sugesting that he could show his other bike, 1st it's not wrecked and 2nd as he's not going to wreck a perfectly good bike, you can't obviously have 2 vehicles with same numbers.

On the other hand, if you did have a frame build by a professional (personaly I wouldn't like to ride any 150bhp + and or 200kph + built by a backyard mechanic) and registered local chassis builder then you shouldnt have a problem.

Having said all that, logic doesn't always seem to work in LOS. Good luck

Edited by luis888

A few years back the tool box from “Spoonman” would have worked, but now a day the Department of Transport is checking the validation of a VIM with the official representative in Thailand.

They have to announce the VIM validate or not and any additional information... Most modern motorcycle manufacturers now-a-day keep track of who the owner of a motorcycle by the VIM, so if you try to change the VIM you will not only change the age, origin and previous ownership... You actually face serious time in Bangkok Hilton...

Even if you try to cheat a fake frame number pass the DLT in most European countries and probably the USA you probably face serious amount of time in jail... Thailand is not different...

Richard,

Seeing as you are in the "biz" thought I'd send this to you. Went to renew my car tax today and they had to give the car an inspection before they would give me the tax disc. Asked the guys doing the inspection could I change the frame and/or engine on my Ducati? Answer no problem at all Sir! I said my frame number has a raised not punched VIN number. No problem Sir, just get the new frame punched with the same VIN number and bring your old frame along so we can check. I asked do I have to keep my old frame for future inspection-no not at all. Can I sell it-yes! Just grind off the old VIN number and you're good to go. If someone buys your frame they can stamp it i.e. if they've crashed their bike. Same with the engine, just show the old engine and they will change the engine number in the green book.

Good luck mate, but more to the point what ARE you building?

Reads like there is some sort of implication in your question which I don't understand. Taking your question literally my plan was to put a modified Ducati Monster 1100 EVO engine into my Ducati Monster 796. However in the meantime I have got the BHP up to over 100 BHP which is standard EVO spec. I'm not going to proceed with the engine upgrade. Because my bike is much lighter now so I'm getting 100 BHP out of an 803CC V Twin which is plenty of power for where I live and gives me over 220 KPH on the highway which is as fast as I'm prepared to go with all the clowns out there. However I would still like to change the frame to titanium alloy and the rear frame to carbon but Satan has arrived in the form of the KTM 1290R. 1301CC's 180 BHP!!!!! Check out this VID you'll love it!

http://www.1290superduker.com/cms/#specials

You ride your bike at 220 KPH on the highway, when max speed in Thailand is 120 KPH, and call other people out there clowns whistling.gif

I think you need to look in a mirror. wink.png

You ride your bike at 220 KPH on the highway, when max speed in Thailand is 120 KPH, and call other people out there clowns whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn

I think you need to look in a mirror. wink.png.pagespeed.ce.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

Windy your comment is well deserved all I can say in my defense is that traveling between 280-320 KPH is such a rush. It's like time is standing still it's amazing. Only problem is at that speed you run out of road so quickly. On the positive side you don't get any tickets or jail time.

whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pnwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pnwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn

5HF-60670_2-Steel-Letter-and-Number-Stam

Yeah I don't think the DLT cares. when the engine for my Ranger was delivered with no engine number they told me to stamp the number from the old engine into the new one.

Interesting to know and I have to keep reminding myself, don't (in this case) think like a grand inquisitor vehicles inspector in my home country. :)

Interesting to know and I have to keep reminding myself, don't (in this case) think like a grand inquisitor vehicles inspector in my home country. smile.png

Yeah I chose no to though as I did not want a dodgy stamped engine in my car as I was concerned it would raise questions when selling it.

Garry I don't know exactly how Ducati engrave the frame numbers but the letters and numbers are formed in raised dots. However when changing the frame simple stamping is all that is required according to the Department of Transport. Of course you cannot reuse the old frame without removing the old numbers first.

That's good to know if I ever have to replace mine smile.png

editL titanium sub-frame not frame

Edited by Garry

My ducati has raised dots but the paint is so thick that the DOT cant read them easily ,,

220kph pah !!!! i have hit 250kph and my pal George has nit 280kph on the run up to CMX

but only once , usually cruise betewwn 120 & 140kph like the thais

• 1 year later...

I hope I can get correct Information on steps and forms needed to complete this ordeal:

I purchased a Suzuki from Motorcycle Shop that they purchased in Police Auction. I have bill of sale in my name and original Green book for Suzuki. Bike was Total wreck but the only one I could find with decent Electric start and all basic controls and wiring harness intact. I built a Custom Frame which of course is void any frame serial number. Frame is stretched lowered to match same wheel base as Harley. I used complete Honda NSR 250 rear fork and Disc Brake system, plus a lengthened Suzuki front fort and triple tree giving me factory front disc brakes. I have used the Original Engine that matches Serial Number in Green book, Build is now completed using LED Tail light and Brake light, Also LED turn indicators. Bike wiring has been modified to break it into 3 circuits

1: Main fuse total wiring plus Security system Alarm.

2: Head light and Turn Indicators plus horn.

3: Tail light and Brake light plus ignition.

Motorcycle is under 150cc. Uses fat rear tire on 17x4.25 spoked rim and Fat front tire on 18x2.25 spoked rim.

Clearly making to move from the antiquated fork / Shocks front and rear. Going from drum to complete front / rear Disc Brakes Halogen Headlights and LED lights has improved Braking and Visibility 150%.

Now I need to go next step. Since I trashed a totally unusable frame. Can I transfer Original Serial Number to this frame? Since this and Engine Serial number are logged in Green book. Or do I need to go thru a different Process? and what forms are needed?post-154339-0-07385500-1446114965_thumb.

I hope I can get correct Information on steps and forms needed to complete this ordeal:

I purchased a Suzuki from Motorcycle Shop that they purchased in Police Auction. I have bill of sale in my name and original Green book for Suzuki. Bike was Total wreck but the only one I could find with decent Electric start and all basic controls and wiring harness intact. I built a Custom Frame which of course is void any frame serial number. Frame is stretched lowered to match same wheel base as Harley. I used complete Honda NSR 250 rear fork and Disc Brake system, plus a lengthened Suzuki front fort and triple tree giving me factory front disc brakes. I have used the Original Engine that matches Serial Number in Green book, Build is now completed using LED Tail light and Brake light, Also LED turn indicators. Bike wiring has been modified to break it into 3 circuits

1: Main fuse total wiring plus Security system Alarm.

2: Head light and Turn Indicators plus horn.

3: Tail light and Brake light plus ignition.

Motorcycle is under 150cc. Uses fat rear tire on 17x4.25 spoked rim and Fat front tire on 18x2.25 spoked rim.

Clearly making to move from the antiquated fork / Shocks front and rear. Going from drum to complete front / rear Disc Brakes Halogen Headlights and LED lights has improved Braking and Visibility 150%.

Now I need to go next step. Since I trashed a totally unusable frame. Can I transfer Original Serial Number to this frame? Since this and Engine Serial number are logged in Green book. Or do I need to go thru a different Process? and what forms are needed?attachicon.gif10-09-14-16-48-20.jpg

Hello Davidstipek,

If I look at your picture I can say you will never get the motorcycle registered, the main reason is that it’s a two-stroke. Two-stroke engines are completely banned in Thailand, which means you cannot register a new two-stroke….

Since I have old bike frame, and new. Old bike frame will be totally recycled. Since I have used engine and have green book... Why can I not also transfer frames serial number also? Thus keeping it as same bike. I have receipt for both. I have certified letter that old frame had to be replaced because of severe damage. It will not be new bike, just repaired to make street safe.

Missed the point... It is not a new two stroke. I have green book for old bike/frame and engine. I have transfered everything usable to new frame. Removed serial number from old damaged frame, cut it up and recycled the metal... 96 Baht...lol! Bike would still exist if I stamped new frame....???