That Phanom Island Trip

riepan963

• 3 weeks later...

No I don't, but I don't think any of the islands have names as most only appear once the water level drops. I only know one person who has seen this service and he never used it. He told me you drive straight past the temple without turning the 90 degree right to Muk and go along there maybe 2 kliks. I have no other replies.

I think I was there today. Small island in the Mekong between Thailand and Laos near That Phanom. There was a bamboo bridge walkway that was still being built that I walked on to the island but they also offered free boats that most of the family took. Likewise I walked back across the bridge and they took the boat. Both times I made it to the other side faster. Not sure if this island even had a name but I could post a Google map of the location if needed.

Edit...I'm being told that island we went today is called Hat Hai.

http://goo.gl/maps/6GGRZ

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Edited by Jayman

Many thanks but it is NOT near Nakhon Phanom as I have lived here 12 years and would know if this was correct. I am looking for an (unnamed) island a hundred metres across from Tha Phanom. My friend says maybe it is only available at weekends.

Don't think I would be too keen on helping OP out with info in future.

[Map clearly shows that the helpful reply by Jayman that he was rudely dismissive about is in That Phanom]

I can only apologise to Jayman for appearing to be dismissive about his posting. I can place blame on the few bottles of beer consumed earlier at the corner shop. I didn't see the link last night but now my eyes have cleared , it probably is the correct location which I will try to find tomorrow. Thanks also to SantiSuk for pointing out my shortcomings; I look forward to future helpful postings.

Looks like the island is actually in Laos.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am told it's definitely Thailand as Laos starts on the other side of the Mekhong. The power lines brought out there also came from the Thai side. I'm told that they like to have full moon parties out there which I suspect is mainly attended by younger Thais. Most of the people we saw out there yesterday were young Thais sitting around drinking. To be fair, they were mostly women. Of course there was also couples and families. The one standard comment from all the Thais in my party was that it was very dirty. All the water is rather stagnant and quite filthy. You go out there and sit in bamboo huts in the water. That means you must walk through dirty water to get to them. There are some on dry land as well but most of the party crowd was in the water based ones. Again, don't think we paid anything to get out there. The food out there wasn't cheap but you could easily bring your own.