Thailand must be careful what it wishes for

webfact

REGIONAL PERSPECTIVE
Thailand must be careful what it wishes for

Kavi Chongkittavorn
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Caretaker Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul probably did not understand the full repercussions of inviting UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon to help in the conflict between the Yingluck government, which he represents, and anti-government protesters.

If Ban accepts the overture, it will be unprecedented in the annals of Thailand and Asean.

First of all, no country on earth would invite the world body to get involved in such a domestic conflict, especially when it is a low intensity dispute. Certainly, the death of four children over the past three-months of unrest has galvanized public outrage both at home and abroad towards the Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order and concerned agencies for their utter failure to arrest the culprits and guarantee public safety. However, by any diplomatic standard, the Thai situation as it is today still does not warrant any UN involvement.

The UN chief, through his spokesperson, has issued three statements so far regarding the situation in Thailand — one in November last year and two more recent ones on February 23 and 26. The latest comments were responding to the death of four children both in Trat and in front of Big C Superstore at Rajprasong, urging all conflicting parties to stop violence and in particular the government to "bring those responsible to justice". Towards the end of his statement on February 23, Ban expressed his readiness in general to assist "in any way possible." Then, the release on February 26 was more specific stating his "readiness to assist the parties and Thai people in any way possible."

Whenever there is a political crisis over here, the UN is commonly featured in the local news headlines as a possible neutral mechanism or mediator to resolve the country's ongoing conflicts. This time is no exception. What is intriguing is the manner Surapong has chosen to do so. It indicates his desperation to further bring international pressure to bear on domestic issues, particularly the demonstrators.

Since his appointment as part of the caretaker government's security team, Surapong has been trying to involve the UN in his personal capacity. He thought that the UN would favor the government, which came to power through election. For instance, before the election on February 2, Surapong put all his energy to garnering support from the international community, through the Bangkok-based diplomatic corps and foreign lobbyists, for the planned poll. Both Yingluck and Surapong spoke to Ban about the political situation and blamed the opposition for the ongoing trouble. The opposition party, Abhisit Vejjajiva, quickly rebutted their unfound allegations later on during conversation with Ban.

Surapong has now become the first Thai Cabinet minister to invite the UN chief to enter into the country's political minefields. The People's Democratic Reform Committee condemned his action. By courting the UN, the besieged Yingluck government hoped to increase its legitimacy and further cringe to power. It is rather ironic. Surapong's boss, Thaksin Shinawatra, belittled the UN in 2003 when his record on extrajudicial killings was under scrutiny. "The UN is not my father," Thaksin infamously proclaimed, showing his defiance of any UN attempt to interfere in Thailand's internal affairs. Now, Surapong is doing exactly the opposite, even as the culture of impunity and violence continues unabated.

Obviously Surapong was acting on his own volition without any consultation with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Professional diplomats both at home and abroad understand how to engage the UN and its agencies on matters pertaining to national interests and sovereignty. Every move has to be thoroughly planned and executed, not a knee jerk reaction of the kind Surapong loves to make.

Worse still, some Bangkok-based Asean diplomats were equally perplexed by his invitation to the UN chief. If Thailand was willing to invite a credible and neutral outsider to help with mediation, Asean should have been consulted given Thailand's past engagement in the grouping and intra-Asean conflicts.

In the long run, Thailand's dealing with the UN will eventually impact on Asean as a whole. When Thailand and Cambodia locked horns over the Preah Vihear/Praviharn Temple in 2008 and thereafter, the UN Security Council urged the conflicting parties to use the existing regional mechanism — Asean — to help settle the dispute. In this case, Surapong should have had the decency to inform Asean if he genuinely wanted to resolve the conflict, not just simply lobby for the support of Yingluck and Thaksin.

Unmistakably, Thailand has opened a Pandora's box regarding foreign intervention in domestic affairs. Surapong's recklessness and naivety have already set a precedent for revealing his country's fault lines. In months and years to come, other diplomatic activities and policies must now be consistent with our declared tolerance for foreign intervention. Bangkok's future bargaining power on this front would be further weakened especially on cross-border issues, which could complicate future Thailand-UN cooperation.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-03

Unfortunately, for Thailand, you open a "Pandora's Box" when you try to get involved in world affairs. If your economy relies on foreign trade and investment, like it or not, "The World" is involved.

"Pandora's Box" "world affairs" So many comments could be made on these four words. I don't think it really matters in the end. It's the people that will be screwed.

• Like 2

"By courting the UN, the besieged Yingluck government hoped to increase its legitimacy and further cringe to power." blink.png

Perhaps apposite, but I think it should say "cling to power". The Nation's (lack of) English skills strike again.

As to the article, yes, Surapong should have gone to ASEAN first - he probably forgot it exists. But he went to see each of the permanent security council nations just to check which side they'd support if Thailand turns into a Ukraine.

• Like 1

Really rather scary for for Suthep if the UN get involved, imagine the situation when Ban asks Suthep, "Well what is it that you actually want from all this?" I suspect the usual reply from Suthep, "Reform" would be met with " What reforms do you have in mind, Mr. Suthep?". To which the reply is silence.

Salient point.

What are the reforms Mr. Suthep has in mind? By this I mean a substantial framework, clear objectives, required resources, people, a working plan and timeline.

Anyone?

The reforms are already being drawn up and have been for a month now, and it is NOT an overnight job.

The main points Suthep will already know, just because he has not released those facts does not mean he is going to come up short.

If the UN actually does arrive, I think the main thing talked about is why the protesters want Yingluck and the PTP party out of power and this is going to spell a very uncomfortable moment for Surapong when it is explained about all the hundreds of billions missing and the influence from a convicted criminal and 'mass murderer' (as already noticed by the UN).. who is actually and undeniably running Thailand from a foreign shore..... another incredibly uncomfortable moment for Surapong.

Then of course the current cases before the courts regarding breaches on the constitution and corruption and negligence which can not be denied, will also serve as a very uncomfortable moment for Surapong.

If I were Surapong, I would call Ban on the phone and thank him but he has changed his mind.

If the UN gets here, these are all the things that will be getting talked about, not just aimed at Suthep's reforms, which he can easily 'hold his own' when asked.

• Like 1

Really rather scary for for Suthep if the UN get involved, imagine the situation when Ban asks Suthep, "Well what is it that you actually want from all this?" I suspect the usual reply from Suthep, "Reform" would be met with " What reforms do you have in mind, Mr. Suthep?". To which the reply is silence.

A diplomat as Ban will never ask such direct questions, apart from the fact that small groups of protesters already are in the progress of outlining possible reform. Even Buddha Issara mentioned such.

Now of course Mr. Ban would understand when k. Suthep tells him that a framework is being prepared which would need legal scrutiny and broader involvement before anything could possibly be put into force / law. Following Mr. Ban could be invited to sent some legal and democracy experts to help guide the process of re-introducing democracy in Thailand, properly educate the population on the rights and duties of a person in a democracy and build the proper independent watchdogs. A proper education program would also help. A new Minister of Education in 2012 started his philosophy with a quote from Pol. Lt-Col. Thaksin S. , something like "you keep them dumb, I keep them busy"..

Surapong's invitation to Ki-moon was likely for purely political reasons. There is no way they would avoid orchestrating his whole appearance, should be come. They would keep him from the UDD rallies, for the calls against the independent agencies and the Civil Court, to the UDD's burying the NACC in cement, to their calls for secession. And any mediation would not be to the administration's advantage as it would expose the corruption practices. And on top of that, the administration is holding onto their caretaker status by a constitutional hair, under an impeachment investigation by the NACC.

Edited by Scamper

PREM-R, on 03 Mar 2014 - 10:27, said:

I doubt about the silence.

Anyway you can read Sutherp's answer as to what reforms he wants:

Point 1: An electoral system free from vote buying

Point 2: Effective measures to end corruption

Point 3: People should have the power to remove politicians and administrative power should be decentralised by electing provincial governors

Point 4: A police reform, so that the police force would "truly belong to the people" and perform their duties under the command of the elected governor of their respective province

Point 5: A bureaucracy reform

Point 6: Solving the problems inherent in education, social affairs, public health and transport, an economic system free of monopoly. Investment in transport infrastructure as answer to the country’s needs, not to politicians’.

• Like 2

Point 3: People should have the power to remove politicians and administrative power should be decentralised by electing provincial governors

Point 4: A police reform, so that the police force would "truly belong to the people" and perform their duties under the command of the elected governor of their respective province

Point 6: Solving the problems inherent in education, social affairs, public health and transport, an economic system free of monopoly. Investment in transport infrastructure as answer to the country’s needs, not to politicians’.

Point 7: World Peace

Point 8: a cure for cancer

• Like 2

It's not necessary to have the UN (Useless Nerds) stick their nose into Thailand's business. What the he11 is wrong with the caretaker Foreign Minister?

I think the word hell would indicate where they are heading threw their actions if you were a Christian.

Can you imagine the UN coming here and investigating. Yingluck would be asked some pretty hard questions that she has been dodging.

Who ever was here would more than likely suggest a minimal level of intelligence for the position of PM.

A diplomat as Ban will never ask such direct questions, apart from the fact that small groups of protesters already are in the progress of outlining possible reform. Even Buddha Issara mentioned such.

Now of course Mr. Ban would understand when k. Suthep tells him that a framework is being prepared which would need legal scrutiny and broader involvement before anything could possibly be put into force / law. Following Mr. Ban could be invited to sent some legal and democracy experts to help guide the process of re-introducing democracy in Thailand, properly educate the population on the rights and duties of a person in a democracy and build the proper independent watchdogs. A proper education program would also help. A new Minister of Education in 2012 started his philosophy with a quote from Pol. Lt-Col. Thaksin S. , something like "you keep them dumb, I keep them busy"..

That'll be the day the UN assists an old guard elite of a country in chaos to reinforce feudal institutions and systems after the feudalists used violence to interfere in a legitimate election in order to stop parliamentary democracy. The UN would need to enter Thailand with the agreement of all parties who would need to agree in advance to accept mediation or the presence of the UN in the country, which would never happen even if one assumes the UN were interested or prepared to enter the conflict, which it positively is not prepared or willing to do.

The seminal aspect of Surapong's contact with the UN is that he wants to speak with the five governments that comprise the Security Council to apprise them of the current trends in Thailand and to seek their understanding. The UNSC however is a bit busy at the moment. The OP might do better to ask Asean why they remain silent and in hiding.

• Like 2

Salient point.

What are the reforms Mr. Suthep has in mind? By this I mean a substantial framework, clear objectives, required resources, people, a working plan and timeline.

Anyone?

The reforms are already being drawn up and have been for a month now, and it is NOT an overnight job.

The main points Suthep will already know, just because he has not released those facts does not mean he is going to come up short.

If the UN actually does arrive, I think the main thing talked about is why the protesters want Yingluck and the PTP party out of power and this is going to spell a very uncomfortable moment for Surapong when it is explained about all the hundreds of billions missing and the influence from a convicted criminal and 'mass murderer' (as already noticed by the UN).. who is actually and undeniably running Thailand from a foreign shore..... another incredibly uncomfortable moment for Surapong.

Then of course the current cases before the courts regarding breaches on the constitution and corruption and negligence which can not be denied, will also serve as a very uncomfortable moment for Surapong.

If I were Surapong, I would call Ban on the phone and thank him but he has changed his mind.

If the UN gets here, these are all the things that will be getting talked about, not just aimed at Suthep's reforms, which he can easily 'hold his own' when asked.

They embarked on the whole process, claiming there needed to be reform. So now, it takes so long, that 3 months later they can't announce it.

I will wager, that everything will be designed to insure that Thaksin and his clan, will never get a sniff of running the country again, and everything else will be largely the same. There are too many stakeholders exactly in the same position as Thaksin who aren't Prime Ministers, but have held and will continue to hold roles as ministers, and advisors. So how to exclude one bloke with a big business becoming PM, but exclude Democrat supporters who are big businessmen.

If they undertake serious reform, it is going to be of the revisionary kind, attempting to reduce democracy and public participation, not increase it.

• Like 1

Hahaha. Funny attitiude from the Nation.

"Dont worry, its low key, we are ok, don't stress it, we have it under control".

of couse the real fear being that he would pitch up and say quite clearly, "I don't see how an unelected council helps the situation".

The Nation does miss this central point here but the Nation has a long way to go to get up to speed with its own audience of native English readers. The Nation can write some high sounding stuff but it consistently just goes up, off and away like a helium filled balloon. Time and again reading the Nation is like chewing on fat.

That'll be the day the UN assists an old guard elite of a country in chaos to reinforce feudal institutions and systems after the feudalists used violence to interfere in a legitimate election in order to stop parliamentary democracy. The UN would need to enter Thailand with the agreement of all parties who would need to agree in advance to accept mediation or the presence of the UN in the country, which would never happen even if one assumes the UN were interested or prepared to enter the conflict, which it positively is not prepared or willing to do.

The seminal aspect of Surapong's contact with the UN is that he wants to speak with the five governments that comprise the Security Council to apprise them of the current trends in Thailand and to seek their understanding. The UNSC however is a bit busy at the moment. The OP might do better to ask Asean why they remain silent and in hiding.

You assume too much, my dear chap. Even if 'old guard elite', 'feudal institutions' and whatever confusing terms, the involvement of the UN could and should start with a few rules for the process, like 'binding advises and recommendations'. Take it or leave it and no going back on it. I'm afraid that would mean an end to the UN involvement whether requested by Surapong or Suthep initially.

As for ASEAN, well there seems to be a rather strict non-interference policy. Maybe because a few of them might have even more to hidewink.png

Hahaha. Funny attitiude from the Nation.

"Dont worry, its low key, we are ok, don't stress it, we have it under control".

of couse the real fear being that he would pitch up and say quite clearly, "I don't see how an unelected council helps the situation".

The Nation does miss this central point here but the Nation has a long way to go to get up to speed with its own audience of native English readers. The Nation can write some high sounding stuff but it consistently just goes up, off and away like a helium filled balloon. Time and again reading the Nation is like chewing on fat.

At times the UN can be pragmatic enough when they can forsee and control the result.

I don't think Farang understand Thai's problem, let alone the Korean.

No we don't, because no Farang country has ever had a government that is self serving, doesn't listen to the people and certainly doesn't have the nation/people's best interest at heart.

And how about having 2 main political parties that spend a good proportion of their time acting like 6 year olds. 'It's not my fault the country's turning to sh*t, it's their fault.'

Sound familiar? Take your pick: USA, UK, Germany, France, Spain, etc, etc.

There is almost always an elite, powerful and wealthy bunch at the top. At the bottom are the mass of the population, better known as the sheeple.

Caught in between these two groups are the few that are intellectually aware enough to actually see the problems and are aware of potential solutions.

You will find quite a few members of this latter group posting on this forum.

The frustration they feel is the same I feel, because sometimes the solutions available to the government in country XXXXX are so simple, they are staring you in the face.

'Don't understand Thai's problem' - Jeez!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by sean in udon

You assume too much, my dear chap. Even if 'old guard elite', 'feudal institutions' and whatever confusing terms, the involvement of the UN could and should start with a few rules for the process, like 'binding advises and recommendations'. Take it or leave it and no going back on it. I'm afraid that would mean an end to the UN involvement whether requested by Surapong or Suthep initially.

As for ASEAN, well there seems to be a rather strict non-interference policy. Maybe because a few of them might have even more to hidewink.png

I'm well aware of Asean's self-described policy of "non-interference" in the affairs of other member states, which the OP should also know is one central factor that caused Surapong to approach the UN. Further, if the UN could impose or extract from conflicting sides "binding advises [sic] and recommendations" it would be a supranational world government, which it certainly and thankfully isn't.

Surapong wants to present his case to the five governments that comprise the permanent members of the Security Council. He knows he's likely to find somewhat sympathetic ears there, which is what the OP fears most. The P-5 want a stable SE Asia which presently means a settled down and stable Thailand. Trouble is, the P-5 may have to wait a while for that to occur.

• Like 2

Salient point.

Anyone?

You are actually freely admitting to supporting a cause when you don't even know what it stands for yet.

It almost defies belief. Truly, truly bizarre, bordering on insane.

Let me give you just one piece of advice, when they start handing out the cups of kool aid - don't drink it.

...Yes those are very generic terms and ideals that seem very appropriate... but how in the wide world of sports is he intending to do them... no one has yet to answer that..to date that I know of...

..an economic system free of monopoly...? not on your life.. that's what has given he and his partners all their power... they aren't going to change that...Majority of Thai wealth is held by very few families... they will fight tooth and claw to see they hold on to it...and many of them support him...

Police reform...? how many would need to be sacked?....or more... is it realistic...? not gonna happen... put them under the power of local government... ( smaller cliques of the same problem...? maybe... maybe not ... if the Governors were clean...but if not...

effective measures to end corruption...? How..? it is learned from schoolyards from parents...all the way up...and serves those who learn it's mechanism very well...

Education is the foundation I agree..and I would bet that will take a lot longer than one generation so you see how easily one can not accept such vague though noble intents as any more than a veil for the truth...power grab...he won't be alive long enough to see reforms... most likely we won't either..corruption is a DNA strain that needs evisceration and will take eons...and then the elections... sheesh ! might take 20 years or more before peeps can vote again...unless.... it is all just a facade ..a generous ploy to veil a power grab.... the ending hasn't been written yet...or maybe it has... but we haven't seen it yet

Edited by DirtFarmer
  • Like 1