Vagrant Children

laolover88

No need for school in Thailand.

Diploma is given and when a student finish high school, he/she can work at 7/11 for 10.000 a month all their life.

We all have seen a bright the workers at 7/11 are, 1+1=3

No future what so ever. College/university is not for their class.

Others become cops, therefore no work, just tea money collections.

Thailand's whole system encourages to NOT go to school. It is a waste of time.

... an preferably only for the rich, so the poor people can stay ignorant and poor.

WOW buddy, you hit it on the head....well done. It could not have said any better. The thailand rich want to continue to breed the thailand ignorant and poor....this is what keeps them rich.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having created a "Trust" (Outside of Thailand) to pay for a child's education when I snuff it, I have to wonder whether it is futile, considering the culture here and his environment.

Perhaps I should be better leaving my assets to http://www.operationsmile.org/index.html.

Please don't answer ref, a "Trust". which is not recognised here, but the arrangement is firewalled to my satisfaction, in extremis.

When they are supposed to be in school many aren't but currently my five year old is on 12 weeks school holiday. 12 f*****g weeks. How to keep a very active child occupied and busy for that long <deleted> in Udon Thani? There's only so much swiming and visits to Parks you can do and a holiday is out of the question financially.

CharlieH, on 07 Mar 2014 - 12:47, said:

Often on guided trips from other areas.Some kind of excursion from there school, not uncommon.

I wish it was that Charlie.

Unfortunately not.

There is no supervision in Thai schools.

Kids go out, and wander around at will.

Yes internet shops are full of them during school hours.

Yes the are wandering around smoking.

There is no system or will, especially in public schools to contain them.

And again why should they worry about school?

At the end of each academic year their results will be fixed to advance to the next class.

And what happens at the end?

These kids come out of school and still are as thick as a plunk of wood.

There is very little supervision or even teaching at Thai schools.

I spend several hours each day at my daughters school and I see the children spend about 70% of their time in class rooms with no teacher present.

Where are the teachers?

They are usually in the "teacher's lounge rooms" playing with Face Book.

I guess if the children don't need to achieve anything to pass,

there is no need for a teacher to waste time teaching when they can be playing!

Sanook??

So the OP sees maybe 100 kids from DIFFERENT schools goofing off in a mall. He doesn't consider that for every 1 of those, there may be 50 or more diligently 'studying' in class. It's rather like the gloomy daily news from war zones where only the casualties make the news whereas the thousands still alive never get a mention. The school uniform makes these kids stick out like dogs balls here. Cutting classes in other countries is also common enough, just harder to spot when there's no school uniform involved. Also, when I was a lad, truancy involved ditching any aspects of school uniform whereas the local kids just don't even bother.

If anyone is selecting a school for their progeny, it is important to scope the immediate neighbourhood of the school for the internet shops, coffee shops, 7-eleven's and other traps. If there aren't any close by, then chances are there will be less willingness to abscond. School policy on students mobility (like motorbikes) is also something to watch.

Note that some of the most prestigious international schools OUTSIDE Bangkok are located in the boonies. My son's rather excellent school (his opinion) is in the middle of a tapioca plantation. Some are next door to golf courses. I bet their attendance rates are commensurate with lack of local off-campus distraction and the high fees... like they ought to be!

When they are supposed to be in school many aren't but currently my five year old is on 12 weeks school holiday. 12 f*****g weeks. How to keep a very active child occupied and busy for that long <deleted> in Udon Thani? There's only so much swiming and visits to Parks you can do and a holiday is out of the question financially.

My experience with teenagers on school holidays in Udon was as long as there was a television in the house, they had plenty to do.

Absolutely, I can see not caring about your SOs spawn if they're not your own, but if you've got your own and you care about them, once they get to 6-7 y.o. it is IMO completely irresponsible to remain in the Kingdom, unless you've saved (or you're currently generating) the millions required to get them a decent education at < dozen good schools here.

Where they're very closely supervised, and if gone missing from campus would definitely result in calls home and disciplinary action.

What's wrong with raising your kids to be responsible enough not to miss school and showing up for parent teacher day to find out how your kid is doing in school?

I send my kids to public thai school because I teach them English myself and help them with their math. I also teach them problem solving. logic and reasoning through every day life.

The only subject they are not at the top of their class in is the thai language and none of the kids in their class are doing much better.

The way i see it is they are most likely going to be living in Thailand for the rest of their life so thai people are the ones they will be competing with for their job. The fact that they can read, write and speak English like an American from the north west USA will give them an advantage over almost every thai kid.

What advantages would they have over other kids if they went to public schools in the USA? They would be just like every other kid graduating there and their thai language skills would be almost non existent.

In my opinion they are better off going to public school here in thailand than they are going to public school in the USA if they have a parent that actually takes time to add to their learning that is lacking in the thai public schools.

I don't know about the Thai education system, so hopefully some parents can chime in and tell me I'm wrong, but...

Back in Canada we had what were called "spares", which was where you didn't have any class, and could do what you wanted. You were given a criteria of what's required to graduate, then basically were allowed to create your own schedule. All depending on how it worked out that semester, sometimes you'd end up with 12pm - 2pm off (1 hour lunch + 1 hour spare), then have to go back to school for your final class. Or maybe you got lucky, and school didn't start for you until 10am, or sometimes you'd end up with say 11am - 1pm off, or whatever.

Is it by chance the same in the Thailand?

Edited by Nautilus05

This OP sounds like he's exaggerating on the numbers of roaming kids in his town a bit, but I do agree. I am concerned at the low level of supervision at my son's school. Kids have an extraordinary amount of freedom

I see a spattering of kids at the Big C mall when we go to the city but they appear to be responsible students and not "vagrants, assuming appearances aren't too misleading, and it looks to me like they just got out of school early, which isn't in uncommon in our province (central Isaan). Seeing them there isn't all that regular though, and it's usually not in large numbers unless it's a Friday afternoon. I have noticed the schools often tend to dismiss early before the weekend. In the city, I don't see hordes roaming the streets, and the internet shops seem to do a pretty good job of observing the law that prohibits students from being in there before 2pm, but maybe i'm just not obsessively paying enough attention and am rather focusing on chaotic traffic and getting through it without a collision or a manslaughter charge.

Edited by firebasejay

Absolutely, I can see not caring about your SOs spawn if they're not your own, but if you've got your own and you care about them, once they get to 6-7 y.o. it is IMO completely irresponsible to remain in the Kingdom, unless you've saved (or you're currently generating) the millions required to get them a decent education at < dozen good schools here.

Where they're very closely supervised, and if gone missing from campus would definitely result in calls home and disciplinary action.

What's wrong with raising your kids to be responsible enough not to miss school and showing up for parent teacher day to find out how your kid is doing in school?

I send my kids to public thai school because I teach them English myself and help them with their math. I also teach them problem solving. logic and reasoning through every day life.

The only subject they are not at the top of their class in is the thai language and none of the kids in their class are doing much better.

The way i see it is they are most likely going to be living in Thailand for the rest of their life so thai people are the ones they will be competing with for their job. The fact that they can read, write and speak English like an American from the north west USA will give them an advantage over almost every thai kid.

What advantages would they have over other kids if they went to public schools in the USA? They would be just like every other kid graduating there and their thai language skills would be almost non existent.

In my opinion they are better off going to public school here in thailand than they are going to public school in the USA if they have a parent that actually takes time to add to their learning that is lacking in the thai public schools.

Well your choice of course and maybe your kids will be happy growing up to be Thai. I for one do not intend for my kids to stay in Thailand their whole life. They will of course have that choice, but they will certainly be foreigners more than Thai.

I want my kids to have the best possible shot at getting into a world-class uni - as per the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, Shanghai Jiao Tong and QS survey - enabling them to effectively compete in their chosen field and live any place they choose including alpha locations like New York, Tokyo, London, Paris, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Singapore etc.

And even if they end up not wanting or being able to do so, from a purely educational POV the school system here is just SO FREAKING BAD compared to many even less developed nations I'd be ashamed to inflict it on my kids no matter how much fun I was having living in Thailand.

And even if they end up not wanting or being able to do so, from a purely educational POV the school system here is just SO FREAKING BAD compared to many even less developed nations I'd be ashamed to inflict it on my kids no matter how much fun I was having living in Thailand.

whether here in thailand or anywhere else, naturally it's our responsibility as parents to compensate at home for what we feel they lack in the classroom, even if that comes down to full-scale homeschooling... i guess we all have to make sacrifices to be here in order to take advantage of the many positives this society and culture have to offer (we wouldn't be here otherwise, right? the beer sure isn't cheap anymore...)

I don't like handing my kids over 100% to any system, be it here, or there. god forbid i should trust a bunch of politicians and teachers i don't know to lay out the blueprint for my kid's lives

• Like 1

Few parents do much more than read to them when they're little and make sure kids are doing homework.

If you're actually doing a good job you'll find the Thai school system completely redundant by year two or three. Once they're over 12 it's a pretty big job, most parents can't/won't take the time nor have the knowledge/confidence to 100% home school.

Getting them into a top uni as above would be a big challenge, I'd like to think I could do it if I devoted myself to that end full-time for a half-dozen years, but don't think that's an option for most.

Few parents do much more than read to them when they're little and make sure kids are doing homework.

If you're actually doing a good job you'll find the Thai school system completely redundant by year two or three. Once they're over 12 it's a pretty big job, most parents can't/won't take the time nor have the knowledge/confidence to 100% home school.

Getting them into a top uni as above would be a big challenge, I'd like to think I could do it if I devoted myself to that end full-time for a half-dozen years, but don't think that's an option for most.

May I ask, do you have kids at the moment?

True. few parents take the time

Most farang i've met here in Thailand have nothing but time on their hands (that also said, the older the kids get, if they have been taught to think, the more independent they become in their assignments)

most parents that target top uni's, from what i've heard (i'm not one of them) send their kids to top notch private schools, thus making this current conversation about something else

Edited by firebasejay

My point is that if you can't/won't spend those millions - and can't/won't do a proper job homeschooling - it's irresponsible to stay here, put your kids' future ahead of your fun and convenience and head home where free schooling is better than 99.99% of the schools here, even many expensive ones.

My you must have had a sheltered up bring I hate to dissapoint you IT"S WORLD WIDE kids wag school ( they don't go ) it's everywhere in all countries it's what they do ....you ever called in sick for work but YOU were not sick ! ! ! same thing durrrrrrr

Actually I think they should all be rounded up sent to the salt mines AND be in their uniforms PLEASE...then after 10 days in the mines they must write 1000 time I must go to school.

Sir may I suggest there are bigger more important things to worry about in life than kids wagging school ( they get over it )

SOMEBODY get me a wine please.

This is not meant as a Thai bashing Issue!! I really want to know. Definitely not 'school trips'!!!! Well not those that start on a bus!

You must be severely retarded if you cant figure that one out for yourself... And I am not Thai bashing... just pointing out the facts

thhMan, as I can't see anywhere on this thread any posting of yours, I assume you are answering the OP as being myself.

I don't need the help of any trolls as you are and I would never use insulting language against another member.

Next time this happens, you will be reported.

Edited by Costas2008

I wish you all would put in what area/school district you each were talking about. My gf went about insane when her daughter skipped a class. I'm up in Korat.

Just a note about the daughter; not super-smart, but a darn hard worker when it comes to school work. Same seems to be true with the rest of the gf's family. Just my hand on the camel, but what I see are people that work every day and kids that want to learn. (Even if it isn't the same as the western 'ideals')

It is invariably the females here that carry the can, If I'm looking for a checkout line I know the slowest will be the ones with guys at the till.

See who is going to the English classes, 99% female

Little off topic, have you noticed in the streams of refugees recently, the women and children are loaded like pack animals, while the men amble along with as my mum would say, "with their arms swinging"

rolleyes.gif In Thailand, even families that appear to be well off may not be.

It's entirely possible both parents may be working.

Many Thai families have a high level of family debt and both parents have to work or contribute to the family income somehow to keep up the appearance of being well off.

The children are often left on their on to take care of themselves once they reach an age where they can do it.

Also, in many Thai households there is very little for children to actually do in the home .... homes are for sleeping and eating.

No money for other things to be spent for "entertainment" in the house.

Also, to be fair, the lifestyle in many homes often has the "mall" nearby as meeting place for friends of your age.

It can serve as a valuable asset, where you learn how to socialize with others of your age .... learning the "rules" and how to behave in society among your peers.

Like it or not, this is the 21st century (even in Thailand) and places likes "malls" to meet others of your age is a way to learn how to deal with your peers once you do go out on your own.

That becomes really important once they become teenagers .... how else today are you going to meet potentials mates and associates later in life.

Like it or not, in today's life style, such "malls" are where you learn how to handle social situations outside of the family.

Every year the Thai Educational system goes down in the world's ranking of education. You talk about kids not going to

school. Schools in our area often close the schools for many reasons. Seminars, protests, etc. Weeks are lost every year.

Thailand realizes they have a problem with their education program. They often don't have classes so that the teachers can

learn better ways of teaching. In rural schools they often have videos in class and homework is based on the videos, and the

kids will pass the class whether they do the homework or not. So what's the worry about going to class. Home schooling as

practiced in Canada and Australia is a better system of leaning, ignoring the social benefits of going to school. When I taught

in Bangkok normally the kids that did best in my classes were the ones that had parents that really cared about their information, and reacted to the many letters and notices I sent home with the students. There are many problems with the Thai educational system. What is needed is obvious, but if no one cares, (political, administration, parents, students,) then much of what is being done is meaningless. The first rule of teaching is receptivity of those concerned.

I lived on a street that was right in between 3 of the main private schools in town. At about 7AM, all the students were busy getting to school to sign in. About 10 or so, some students would be out eating snacks, etc. The schools just don't stop them and they would rather eat snacks and play online, so they do.

Most of the teachers don't care, as teaching is not their main source of income. Basically, not many people at Thai schools are actively involved in anything you would recognize as education. Unfortunately, I am speaking from experience. The school kids out during the day used to puzzle me. After some time in the system, I am not surprised by them anymore.

My wife is a teacher in a government school. As it is quite far from our home, we live at the school five days a week and go back to our home town on the weekends. I do some volunteer work around the school to help pass the time. Every morning, the students assemble and are subjected to a forty five minute to one hour tirade from a random teacher while standing in the hot sun. After that, they depart for their classrooms. About one hour later, some clusters of students can be seen wandering about the campus, others playing football or volleyball, some eating snacks that they purchase AT the school canteen, and some sneak over the fence not to be seen again until after lunch, two hours later. The number of students involved in this extra curricular activity is usually around a quarter of the students who are present on any given day.

My wife is an excellent teacher and really works at her job of educating her students, unlike many of her counterparts. I know this because I assist in her English classes and observe her in action. So, when I noticed that some of her students were among the slackers I saw every day out and about, I was really puzzled. I asked her why she allowed this and she gave me one of those "Welcome to Thailand, farang" looks and explained the situation. She said, "Look at the students that are here in my classroom from start to finish, every day. They are here because they WANT to learn! Their minds are like sponges, soaking up all of my lessons and they love my classroom projects!" Then she asked me, "Do you see those students out there playing and fooling around? They DON'T want to learn, they couldn't care less, and resist my every attempt at teaching them. Many of them, if they are forced to stay in the classroom, will just sleep the day away. Why should I waste my time and energy on them when I have all of these eager students needing my attention? I will have to pass the slackers with minimum grades anyway, so why not EDUCATE the students who actually care?

It was then I realized that my wife had found a way to work within the faulty system and still deliver a decent basic education to at least some of her students. We have even started an "after school" program for about a dozen of them where they can get extra help if they're having trouble with a certain subject, or learn things like handicrafts, how to cook Thai sweets, or put together little English skits and entertainments for presentation at school functions.

Edited by The Usual Suspect
  • Like 1

My wife is a teacher in a government school. As it is quite far from our home, we live at the school five days a week and go back to our home town on the weekends. I do some volunteer work around the school to help pass the time. Every morning, the students assemble and are subjected to a forty five minute to one hour tirade from a random teacher while standing in the hot sun. After that, they depart for their classrooms. About one hour later, some clusters of students can be seen wandering about the campus, others playing football or volleyball, some eating snacks that they purchase AT the school canteen, and some sneak over the fence not to be seen again until after lunch, two hours later. The number of students involved in this extra curricular activity is usually around a quarter of the students who are present on any given day.

My wife is an excellent teacher and really works at her job of educating her students, unlike many of her counterparts. I know this because I assist in her English classes and observe her in action. So, when I noticed that some of her students were among the slackers I saw every day out and about, I was really puzzled. I asked her why she allowed this and she gave me one of those "Welcome to Thailand, farang" looks and explained the situation. She said, "Look at the students that are here in my classroom from start to finish, every day. They are here because they WANT to learn! Their minds are like sponges, soaking up all of my lessons and they love my classroom projects!" Then she asked me, "Do you see those students out there playing and fooling around? They DON'T want to learn, they couldn't care less, and resist my every attempt at teaching them. Many of them, if they are forced to stay in the classroom, will just sleep the day away. Why should I waste my time and energy on them when I have all of these eager students needing my attention? I will have to pass the slackers with minimum grades anyway, so why not EDUCATE the students who actually care?

It was then I realized that my wife had found a way to work within the faulty system and still deliver a decent basic education to at least some of her students. I must say, these students that she has taken under her wing are quite bright and well behaved kids. We have even started an "after school" program for about a dozen of them where they learn handicrafts, cooking, and put together little English skits and entertainments for presentation at school functions.

Thanks for sharing this. Very refreshing to hear such a perspective.

I get a bit fed up with all the negativity here on thaivisa so it's nice to have a break from it

Also, thanks for taking the time to contribute to your community rather than just pointing out all that's wrong with it

Edited by firebasejay

I lived on a street that was right in between 3 of the main private schools in town. At about 7AM, all the students were busy getting to school to sign in. About 10 or so, some students would be out eating snacks, etc. The schools just don't stop them and they would rather eat snacks and play online, so they do.

Most of the teachers don't care, as teaching is not their main source of income. Basically, not many people at Thai schools are actively involved in anything you would recognize as education. Unfortunately, I am speaking from experience. The school kids out during the day used to puzzle me. After some time in the system, I am not surprised by them anymore.

It was then I realized that my wife had found a way to work within the faulty system and still deliver a decent basic education to at least some of her students. We have even started an "after school" program for about a dozen of them where they can get extra help if they're having trouble with a certain subject, or learn things like handicrafts, how to cook Thai sweets, or put together little English skits and entertainments for presentation at school functions.

Yeah, there are definitely those teachers out there--I work with a few myself. Unfortunately, it seems like they are the rare ones, as most teachers here are more concerned about getting away and running their shops or other businesses. For them, the school just represents a government position with some money, cheap loans, insurance. They are making most of their money elsewhere.

Without a doubt, the students who are keen and dedicated will benefit from teachers like your wife. Sorry, didn't mean to suggest that some gems aren't out there.

• Like 1

Yeah, there are definitely those teachers out there--I work with a few myself. Unfortunately, it seems like they are the rare ones, as most teachers here are more concerned about getting away and running their shops or other businesses. For them, the school just represents a government position with some money, cheap loans, insurance. They are making most of their money elsewhere.

Without a doubt, the students who are keen and dedicated will benefit from teachers like your wife. Sorry, didn't mean to suggest that some gems aren't out there.

Your description of the majority of teachers is dead on. Heck, one of her co-workers even has a side business AT THE SCHOOL!!!!

My wife is currently working on her master's degree and is hoping to land a director's position so she can, in her word's, "kick some ass". I wish her the best of luck always, but it's a bit like swimming upstream with your feet tied together. I've talked to her about starting a business and, bless her heart, she always says "Yeah, maybe when I retire. Right now, teaching is my business."

Your description of the majority of teachers is dead on. Heck, one of her co-workers even has a side business AT THE SCHOOL!!!!

My wife is currently working on her master's degree and is hoping to land a director's position so she can, in her word's, "kick some ass". I wish her the best of luck always, but it's a bit like swimming upstream with your feet tied together. I've talked to her about starting a business and, bless her heart, she always says "Yeah, maybe when I retire. Right now, teaching is my business."

Yeah, it always blows my mind how the first week is just packed with all the teachers, but then the second week until midterms the place is nearly empty, except for foreign teachers and the dedicated Thai teachers. So many of them just cancel classes.

It will take people like your wife getting into senior positions to fight and change it. As a foreigner, the biggest thing you can do is teach your students well, as you will never (usually) be allowed into a position of any considerable power. It will take Thais who have the patience and dedication to swim upstream, as you put it, to really change things.